Recommend me a stumpy to replace my MP5

Point Two Balls

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi Guys,

Love my MP5, but after the stock snapped clean off, I'm after something new.

I've been looking at:

Saigo Defence Ronin (love the look).

G&G Firehawk (not the biggest fan of the look of the stock).

Specna Arma SA-C10 PDW.

G&G ARP-9 (love the look, but proprietary mags)

Amoeba AM-015 Stubby Badger (love the stock, but that front handle would have to go)

Not wanting to upgrade - just after a reliable CQB and woodland all rounder.

What are peoples thoughts/experiences and have I missed anything I mike like off the list?

Cheers,

Pat.

https://www.bespokeairsoft.co.uk/saigo-defense-ronin-aeg-with-lipo-bat-charger-blue

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/g-and-g-armament-combat-machine-firehawk-m4-stubby

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/specna-arms-sa-c10-pdw-core-airsoft-aeg-rifle

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/g-and-g-armament-combat-machine-arp-9?pv=2828

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/ares-amoeba-am-015-stubby-badger-cqb?pv=1003

• Supporters

Do you want the "all airsoft guns are basically the same" meme?  Because this is how you get the all airsoft guns are basically the same meme.

They'll all be fine, they'll all work to within skill+luck% of each other, so you might as well get the one that you like the look of.  I can't see any bad choices there.

Obviously, the right choice is an MP5K, but you'll get there eventually. ;) 

I hate those cut down M4/AR things 🤮

There's only one clear choice...

The MP5 SD 😁 

The sliding stock is best for versatility.

And having the suppressor means you can fit a longer inner barrel if you want to up the fps a bit.

The firehawk is amusingly loud, always gets my attention 😁

My site has a couple as rentals.  They seem to be good though I've not managed to try one yet

Guest Mr. No_Face

Sounds like you'd like an ARP-556, Same stock internals, but metal construction and compatible with pretty much all STANAG mag types on the market. The Arp series are pretty decent out of the box rifs with pretty responsive triggers. The Fire Hawk on the other hand not so much speaking from personal experience.

Have a look at the arp 556, as Mr. No face mentioned its an arp internals but 556 mag well. There are two versions now, one alloy one polymer, other than the bodies they are the same.

Have you considered a bullpup? A bit more barrel length but still nice and short. Not for everyone but I've become a fan since getting my UAR. Prefer it to my M4 now.

P90 might also suit you. Everyone thinks they're ugly however I've yet to hear a bad word from anyone who uses them.

• Supporters

Think the thing that'd put me off a bullpup for cqb would be the mushyness of the triggers.

I'll be honest the mp5 would be where i'd be putting my attention towards, or perhaps a vityaz.

But as 'borg already pointed out theyre all pretty much gonna be of equivalent utility for cqb purposes so just going for whatever you personally think looks/feels nice to use.

Completely agree with the closing statement 👍

You can always get ETUs if the long trigger pull puts you off, although ive never found it much of a problem to be honest. All personal preferences.

I do rather fancy an MP5A4. Have been admiring them from afar quite a while. Mrs. Ebeneezer however hath warned me I'm up for castration should I dare spend any more cash on this hobby and fill the wardrobe with any more plastic sluggers...

• Supporters
11 hours ago, EDcase said:

MP5 SD

Can't possibly justify it, but do want, and have some stock alerts set up.  I mean, surely I need an emergency-backup-loaner-reserve RIF.

3 hours ago, Ebeneezer Goode said:

P90 might also suit you.

[Reaches for the heresy-solving flamer. The heavy flamer.]

Also quite want though.

Speaking of which, is it the Galaxy G.5M that's broken?  This utter heresy?

1280x1280_gxy_mp5_g5m_1.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

If so, good, that stock would have been in the bin the moment I bought it.  If that's an MP5K variant (V3 gearbox, no way to slide the arms of a sliding stock into it) you could fit an MP5K end cap if you can find one. Or if it's a standard MP5, fit a sliding stock.

Better yet, just file off the stump, fill the hole with epoxy, rattlecan black, and enjoy it as it's meant to look.

If I see it in the classifieds at a reasonable price, I might have it for that purpose myself. ;) 

Hi Guys,

Thanks for reading so far......

I'm a pro bicycle mechanic by trade and it's a similar scenario once you get over a certain price point - the bikes are all good - just pick the one you like the look of the most.

Glad it's the same scenario with airsoft and no one has said anything bad about any of the guns listed.

Really really liking the ARP-566 and looks like it's going to be the winner though (thanks @Mr. No_Face).

Yes @Rogerborg - it was a Galaxy G.5M - tested in the garden and the metal stock inner tube sheared right off as I was starting my first CQB session last week - never been banged or dropped either. Also, the selector switch sometimes went to full auto, or nothing at all, but I read this happens to a few with the similar switch. Love the size and style of the gun though.

It was still under warranty though so returned it last week - just waiting for the refund now.

Regards,

Pat.

I've got one of those mp5ks and managed to snap the stock too. Luckily Ive got an old busted one which I nicked the end cap from.

Id suggest another mp5 as you won't need to buy new mags and pouches

6 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Can't possibly justify it, but do want, and have some stock alerts set up.  I mean, surely I need an emergency-backup-loaner-reserve RIF.

[Reaches for the heresy-solving flamer. The heavy flamer.]

Also quite want though.

Speaking of which, is it the Galaxy G.5M that's broken?  This utter heresy?

1280x1280_gxy_mp5_g5m_1.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

If so, good, that stock would have been in the bin the moment I bought it.  If that's an MP5K variant (V3 gearbox, no way to slide the arms of a sliding stock into it) you could fit an MP5K end cap if you can find one. Or if it's a standard MP5, fit a sliding stock.

Better yet, just file off the stump, fill the hole with epoxy, rattlecan black, and enjoy it as it's meant to look.

If I see it in the classifieds at a reasonable price, I might have it for that purpose myself. ;) 

Heresy? I'll have you know this noble Salamander is committed only to the Emperor, you mere Cadian Bolter-Fodder! Nice to admit you secretly desire one too though. I think everyone does really, especially sci fi buffs like me, otherwise they're in denial. *Awaits incoming flak from multiple disgusted AFUK members enraged by such slanderous talk...*

In all seriousness to the OP I reckon a broken stock is no reason to bin a decent RIF. I'd chop bits off and do a shorty project. Saves cash on yet another RIF purchase and it's fun to customise.

Hi,

Thanks, but it was still under warranty so I got a full refund.

I did think about another MP5 and whilst I love the gun and it's looks, the selector switched played up a few times.

Hence paying more for something betterer (yes that's a real word) and more reliable.

With my step son having an M4 - it just makes sharing mags etc. a lot easier.

Pat.

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Point Two Balls said:

the selector switched played up a few times.

They are a bit wibbly, a washer / o-ring / springy-thing can be used to firm them up.  Not that they should need it, mind.

3 hours ago, Point Two Balls said:

Hence paying more for something betterer (yes that's a real word) and more reliable.

Much more betterer, I believe.

• Supporters

One of the new Double Eagle mosfet range , i got one just as a backup , AND now it’s the one I use the most ! 🤦‍♂️ Outstanding guns for the price .👍

These DE Honey Badger things seem all the rage right now, and judging from the feature-packed spec plus bargain price, the overwhelmingly positive reviews from airsofters and the sheer number of people buying them of recent, I'd say they seem like a great choice.

If I was in the market for a good all rounder I'd seriously look at one myself.

Personally I'd never buy anything with a PDW style stock, battery options are totaly shit unless you have a PEQ box / the battery mounts in the front.

My son has a Firehawk (which we've modded a bit), and my primary site uses them as rentals, and they genuinely have a lot of plus points but they're massively let down by their mechanical trigger. It's so easy to not pull it fully / hold it in long enough for the gearbox to fully cycle on semi-auto and end up with a jam, with you then having to flip to auto to cycle the gearbox. After Santa pays him a visit this year I'll be bravely, or stupidly, attempting to fit a GATE Aster or Titan in it in the New Year and at that point it would become a beast of an AEG as it has a huge air volume.

Personally, and this is a bit "out there", if I wanted to use M4 / Stanag mags but have something stumpy I'd be seriously considering the...

Specna Arms Rock River Arms SA-E18 EDGE

... which you could even end up using as a sidearm with a DMR or sniper.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.