TM FNX45 Metal Slide -- Volante

Hami

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

hi all! 

has anyone had any experience with this slide ? I want to know if the TM red dot will fit it really.  Bit annoying the barrel is 14MM rather than 16MM too

https://www.volanteairsoft.com/product/cnc-aluminium-slide-for-tm-fnx/?attribute_pa_color=tan

Edited by Hami

Post a link buddy.

The mounts for the red dot or integrated into the bbu, so I suspect the TM red dot will still fit

Why do you want to ruin the performance of the best pistol on the market is the more important question lol

2 hours ago, rocketdogbert said:

Post a link buddy.

The mounts for the red dot or integrated into the bbu, so I suspect the TM red dot will still fit

Why do you want to ruin the performance of the best pistol on the market is the more important question lol

had it hyperlinked - added another for clarity :) 

bit more realistic i guess! 

23 minutes ago, Panama said:

at that price you could afford a second one and dual wield them 🤣

hmm now you're talking 

I considered

3 hours ago, rocketdogbert said:

I had similar thoughts about my TM HK45, and even bought an upgrades for barrel and hop rubber, but ultimately decided against it. The pistol is as good as it is stock, don’t wanna ruin it.

9 hours ago, rocketdogbert said:

In fairness I think the FNX45 is one of the plasticy-est feeling modern TMs. It'd been a while since I handled a stock TM, and after handling it back-to-back with the VFC the Marui just felt like something out of a Christmas cracker. The performance is probably better but if I was prioritising function over form I'd be using an AEG...

11 hours ago, Hami said:

has anyone had any experience with this slide ?

I have no experience with that product but I've bought a bunch of parts from Volante and have been pretty impressed overall.

9 hours ago, PureSilver said:

In fairness I think the FNX45 is one of the plasticy-est feeling modern TMs. It'd been a while since I handled a stock TM, and after handling it back-to-back with the VFC the Marui just felt like something out of a Christmas cracker. The performance is probably better but if I was prioritising function over form I'd be using an AEG...

If you care more about form over function, sell the TM and buy a VFC. Literally doing anything else is throwing money down the drain in your circumstances.

If you closely at the Volante, it doesn’t have the correct trades on the front rhs anyway, compare it to the VFC and you’ll see. 
Volante have just copied the TM trades, which are not complete.

14 minutes ago, rocketdogbert said:

If you care more about form over function, sell the TM and buy a VFC. Literally doing anything else is throwing money down the drain in your circumstances.

If you closely at the Volante, it doesn’t have the correct trades on the front rhs anyway, compare it to the VFC and you’ll see. 
Volante have just copied the TM trades, which are not complete.

The TM trades don't even say FNC, but I love my FNX

1 minute ago, MagpieTactical said:

The TM trades don't even say FNC, but I love my FNX

I think I’ve owned five or six, best performing out of the box pistol there is

1 minute ago, rocketdogbert said:

I think I’ve owned five or six, best performing out of the box pistol there is

Its my first (and only) TM pistol (so far) but the performance even on 144a is great.  Couldn't believe the range I had with 0.28gs.  It would struggle up here with a metal slide when the temp drops. 

• 6 months later...
On 22/11/2021 at 02:47, Mobius Strip said:

I have fitted one.

Although I have not fitted the Marui red dot personally, the area does look the same once the slide is fitted. I did also get this from Kim at Volante during my purchase.

"I recommend to use it with RMR mountable aluminium housing as original FNX can't mount RMR size sights."

I would email Kim at Volante if you have any questions as he is absolutely brilliant to deal with and I always find him helpful.

The slide itself went on with minimal fitting. Certainly well made with good tolerances.

There is a lack of full markings on the right of the slide. Better that than the wrong markings I guess.
Metal RMR cover and sights would have been a nice extra.
Recoil impulse has improved. I can still empty a full mag, rapid firing with no adverse cool down effect which is good enough for me.

The obvious comparison has to be made with the Cybergun/VFC version of course. I made some mods to mine which need to be taken in to account.

My VFC versions have the same internal upgrades: Azimuth lightweight blowback housing and nozzle. (This improves gas efficiency at the expense of a small amount of recoil impulse as I found the standard set up started to suffer cool down effects by the end of the mag if the gun was rapid fired).
Marui HOP rubber, I key and inner barrel. (Standard set up was terrible).
Guns Modify 125% recoil spring (for Glock 17) which is just a bit weaker than standard but fitted in conjunction with the lighter blowback housing to help fight cooldown.

Handling both brands shows a similar weight and feel.
No extreme size differences to note.
Firing them both side by side shows similar FPS with green gas.
VFC has the edge on recoil.
VFC has better trademarks.
Marui HOP beats VFC hands down. Fantastic stock unit, not even 

on halfway and lifts .30s with ease.
VFC has a few minor QC  'foibles', most of which can be dealt with.

There are many other details but the bottom line is the Marui version is a better skirmish gun out of the box (or with the metal slide) but the VFC has the edge on details. Once modified it does bring them closer.

Different people want different things out of a gun but I feel the perfect FNX would be a hybrid of both.

I hope this helps 🙂

TM FNX~03.JPG

TM FNX~02.JPG

TM FNX~06.JPG

TM FNX~07.JPG

Greatly appreciated for your precious experience shared bro.

Am a lover for TM FNX-45. Slide of mine is cracked, and consider to fit aluminum slide on my FNX-45. Could TM’s out-of-box 16mm CW threaded outer barrel be fitted onto Volante metal slide directly?

Much Thanks.

Hey, no problem.

I cannot answer your question though as I only fitted the Volante metal barrel.

(I covered up the incorrect 14mm thread with a thread protector).

I assume you are after a 16mm threaded barrel? 

If you want a metal version, I know Detonator do one but I have not had one through my hands so could not even tell you if it would be compatible with the Volante slide.

23 hours ago, Mobius Strip said:

Hey, no problem.

I cannot answer your question though as I only fitted the Volante metal barrel.

(I covered up the incorrect 14mm thread with a thread protector).

I assume you are after a 16mm threaded barrel? 

If you want a metal version, I know Detonator do one but I have not had one through my hands so could not even tell you if it would be compatible with the Volante slide.

Thanks man. I found 16mm threaded barrel from Detonator. Looks cool! But I probably go for Volante 14CCW barrel and find a good piece of protector for it.

Does Volante outer barrel require to be rasped a lot for a rather good fitting with slide? 

Moreover, any considerable affects can be seen on performance after metal slide was fitted on? 
Thank you~

Hey, I ended up using a DCI guns thread protector over the place holder in the pictures above.

I will pop some pics below but you may be able to tell it looks a little more suitable (chunkier).

IMG_20220607_175123.thumb.jpg.28908585fa52a3ef864c079a2d6d2bfb.jpg

IMG_20220607_175150.thumb.jpg.5eb9fbe598a0e1f36925cbdb61dd43aa.jpg

I think that you will find the answers to your other questions in my post above with the pics.

However, to summarise; no filing necessary, kick felt stronger once the slide was fitted with no problem emptying a magazine when rapid fired.

If you need to anything more specific just say 🙂

Edited by Mobius Strip
Chunky

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/06/2022 at 01:10, Mobius Strip said:

Hey, I ended up using a DCI guns thread protector over the place holder in the pictures above.

I will pop some pics below but you may be able to tell it looks a little more suitable (chunkier).

IMG_20220607_175123.thumb.jpg.28908585fa52a3ef864c079a2d6d2bfb.jpg

IMG_20220607_175150.thumb.jpg.5eb9fbe598a0e1f36925cbdb61dd43aa.jpg

I think that you will find the answers to your other questions in my post above with the pics.

However, to summarise; no filing necessary, kick felt stronger once the slide was fitted with no problem emptying a magazine when rapid fired.

If you need to anything more specific just say 🙂

Hi man. Back here with some questions.

I have received my metal slide and fitted it on. Nonetheless, find the TM recoil spring too soft to complete smooth cycling. 

Have you replaced recoil spring with stringer one? And specific model or brand can be advised?

Many Thanks!

Hi,

I just used the standard TM recoil spring and it was certainly up to the job with no ill effects.

It is possible that you just need to rack the slide a few (hundred, lol) times to get everything to bed in so that it is nice and smooth.

I recommend using Loctite Superlube Oil which come in a handy pen dispenser. I have used this lubricant for years and it is fantastic.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, 

Sharing my completed TM FNX-45 with metal slide! Thank you for all advices shared.

Have imparted Laylax hop-up rubber and stronger hammer spring as well.

I firstly replaced recoil spring with MITA 140% spring for G-17.

But with this modification, it requires higher pounds of gas to operate and affect performance more and less.

Moreover, slide would somehow locked even there’s still BBs in mag, while applying higher pressure gas… 
Therefore put standard spring back in.

What pressure you use the most operating your FNX?

Have you encountered above problem before?

Besides, Loctite Superlub is awesome!!! 
Thanks man😉

16512963-8776-4BBE-84DE-75AE4AADB892.jpeg

5862A283-B839-433F-8D17-DA0D67BB2534.jpeg

4 hours ago, winnerhomer said:

What pressure you use the most operating your FNX?

Have you encountered above problem before?

Hi there.

Nice to see your pictures.

I use green gas in mine, more specifically Arms gas or RWA gas.

I have not encountered the slide locking back prematurely. Do you mean the slide stop is jumping up or the slide is jammed to the rear?

On 02/07/2022 at 20:50, Mobius Strip said:

Hi there.

Nice to see your pictures.

I use green gas in mine, more specifically Arms gas or RWA gas.

I have not encountered the slide locking back prematurely. Do you mean the slide stop is jumping up or the slide is jammed to the rear?

Slide stop jumping up is the case. Especially, while using 170 gas as power source, this problem occurred over and over. Not sure if gas pressure is the primary cause..

If the problem only occurs with higher pressure gas then it suggests that it may well an effect the recoil force caused by the stronger gas (directly or indirectly), especially as the problem has gone away using green gas.

That said, as with all these things; there could well be other variables that I am unaware of causing the issue.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.