Any recommendations on active noise limiting earbuds?

Rogerborg

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

I've got very mild tinnitus and don't want it getting any worse from pyro, so have been looking at hearing protection, specifically electricool active protection that apparently limits noise without making voices inaudible.

The big bulky over-ear tacticool stuff doesn't really seem like my jam, but I've spotted that there are now in-ear versions, specifically the Earmor M20.

Decent review here:

And £60 isn't outrageous compared to the lifetime consequences of taking a Mk5 near to an unprotected earball.

https://www.ballisticdesigns.co.uk/shop/communications/m20-electronic-earplug/

But if they end up cutting out too much low level noise, I'm unlikely to wear them.

Any personal experiences with these, or alternatives?

• Supporters
6 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

I've got very mild tinnitus and don't want it getting any worse from pyro, so have been looking at hearing protection, specifically electricool active protection that apparently limits noise without making voices inaudible.

The big bulky over-ear tacticool stuff doesn't really seem like my jam, but I've spotted that there are now in-ear versions, specifically the Earmor M20.

Decent review here:

And £60 isn't outrageous compared to the lifetime consequences of taking a Mk5 near to an unprotected earball.

https://www.ballisticdesigns.co.uk/shop/communications/m20-electronic-earplug/

But if they end up cutting out too much low level noise, I'm unlikely to wear them.

Any personal experiences with these, or alternatives?

Having used the over the ear Earmors for a while, if they're anything like as good then they'll be fine. You should be able to adjust the volume of the ambient sounds to whatever's comfortable for you.

I literally feel your pain as I have tinnitus too!

As long as your OK with things in your ear canals, they will be superb.

I use over-ears with RS and clays, same make, and they are astonishingly good, but very likely will be shifting to in ear now these things are so cheap

• Supporters
4 hours ago, Lozart said:

I literally feel your pain as I have tinnitus too!

Mmm, I'm mild at the moment, and it may be from biking rather than airsoft pyro, but I have no desire for it to get any worse.  I think I may ask Santa for some of those Earmors then.

Aside, William Shatner has lived with tinnitus for over half a century after an incident while filming Star Trek, and has seriously considered offing himself just to make it stop.

I mention this to illustrate that flinging big bangs away from yourself and towards other people's earballs is one of the most genuinely dickish things that you can do, whether it's airsoft, fireworks, or anything else.  I'd love it if sites would cap pyro to .209s and Mk3s, even outdoors, but I guess its one of these things that's all fun and games until your ears start to go eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee late at night.

• Supporters

#MeToo, probably a combination of everything that went bang in the military long before anyone considered hearing protection, motorcycles since my teens & years of power tools, especially all the metal cutting🙉

Not sure what pisses me off more though, the fact that it never stops, or when my missus stops me & says "can you hear a funny buzzing/ringing sound", I've given up replying, I just give her the "look" 😏

• Supporters
42 minutes ago, Tackle said:

#MeToo, probably a combination of everything that went bang in the military long before anyone considered hearing protection, motorcycles since my teens & years of power tools, especially all the metal cutting🙉

I've never done concerts, I did a little bit of black powder reenactment years ago without damage, and I generally wear earplugs when biking other than for sub 40mph local shopping runs.  Since this is recent, the most likely candidate I can think of is airsoft pyro.

42 minutes ago, Tackle said:

Not sure what pisses me off more though, the fact that it never stops, or when my missus stops me & says "can you hear a funny buzzing/ringing sound", I've given up replying, I just give her the "look"

I'm just glad that ring tones can now be music or jingles (I use Star Trek computer clips) rather than "dring driiiing". :D 

I have the dreaded tinnitus too, usually quite mild, sometimes bloody awful.  I played a game a couple of years ago where we used Mk9s.  One was thrown straight at me and landed about three feet away.  I was entangled in some shrubbery being sneaky and pretty hobbled.  I put my hands over my ears and opened my mouth but the mesh over said lugs stopped my hands from doing much.  As I decided to pick the thing up and throw it, it went off.  It was not pleasant for many hours...

At another game, my inner ear bud for my radio was hit.  It doubled me up in agony.  The effect of a BB on hollow plastic was like the sound of the world ending.  The pain inside my head was tremendous.  My tinnitus played up for days.  

I got some over ear active cans after that.  They are a not perfect as the radio makes them buzz, but I prefer them to plugs.  Also, in ear plugs do not save your ears from the pressure of loud noise that passes through the skull.  

Like you, it's bikes what did it.  Straight thru shotguns and open face lid at leisure, despatch rider at work in the same shitty design lid for 50+ hours a week.  

None of this has stopped me de-baffling my current bikes.  The sound of a big twin is still music to the ears.

If your thinking about hearing protection then do it, either in or over ear.

I've tried the in ear units and they work though fit is tricky, for me i couldnt get it to hold and seal easily, and wasn't as good as it could be when it did sit so it would work loose then eventually fall out.

In the end I when with the over the head, peltor sporttac, and i also got two aux cables, one mono, lives hooked into my rpc and mic. And the other I use for work plugged into my phone for audio books and they are great.

• Supporters

My tinnitus is down to industrial noise from years of working in factories, massive car stereos, playing guitar in bands gigging in pubs so small that 100w Marshall rig was literally feet away and going to very loud, very metal gigs for years.

It's constant but gets worse when I'm stressed or tired. I don't have to listen for it, I hear it all the time. I had a hearing test recently and there's a massive dip around 4kHz which is pretty typical for industrial noise damage apparently. 

• Supporters
5 hours ago, concretesnail said:

I've tried the in ear units and they work though fit is tricky, for me i couldnt get it to hold and seal easily, and wasn't as good as it could be when it did sit so it would work loose then eventually fall out.

That's what's stopping me from ordering right now.  I don't have much luck with in-ears, either for audio or hearing protection, and ended up silicone-moulding custom earplugs for biking.  It's amazing how many bikers don't even consider hearing protection. It's a very slow, steady damage from wind noise (and open cans) rather than from one big obvious bang, so it's easier to ignore.

I should actually just use my moulded plugs for airsoft, it's not like anyone says anything worth hearing anyway. ;) 

Oh, and Mk9s and 12 gauge magflash blanks can sod right off, there is absolutely no need for that level of noise.  As with 40-Mikes and "no full auto in buildings bro" wanker guns, they're a lot more fun for those sending them out than those experiencing them coming in.

Like you I use custom molded when I'm riding, and before that I used foams, I've always preferred helmets with lots of venting and the wind noise is killer long term.

I do love the bang and booming of pyro and I'm surprised how many people I see playing that don't use hearing protection, I treat mine like eye pro. Once it's gone, it's gone kind of thinking.

On the peltor front though I certain recommend the gel cups, they are so much better than the foam.

• 3 weeks later...

For over ear, I recommend Peltors.

I have a pair I use when RCO for the Cadets and they are brilliant. 

Turn up the sensitivity and they are like hearing aids, you hear better with than without.

Also used them for TIBUA and been in a room with an SBS and trigger happy cadets firing 5.56 blank with no ill effects.

Only problem I have is on indoor ranges they amplify the fans too much.

FIBUA. Tibua sound like it should be in your leg. 😉

Regards 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.