Comabting sweat/fog: exfog or sweatband? Or another solution?

Harvem

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Probably not the first nor the last topic about this, but here goes. Yesterday I had to run back quite a few times to the safe zone because of sweat/fog on my goggles, so I need some advice in how to combat this. I'm also not sure whether it was sweat dripping into my goggles or fog.

So, here's what I run: A helmet, Bolle X800 goggles and a mesh mask that attaches to my helmet. This is what it looks like:

Fog.png.61cd2b3b474f287264af92adfa199c47.png

Now, as for the conditions I was playing in: I was playing at an indoor/outdoor field: mostly indoor, but it's an old factory that doesn't really have any doors, windows are either completely open or smashed in. So, if it's foggy outside, it's gonna be foggy inside. If it's freezing cold outside, it's gonna be freezing cold inside as well. You get the point 😛.

As for yesterday, temperature was at around 10 degrees Celsius, with quite a lot of moisture in the air: breading sometimes formed a breath cloud.

What I'm not sure about: was it fog that I was combating or was it sweat? It seemed more like sweat was dripping into my goggles, as they just became wet instead of foggy. Does this make any sense? I also noticed the inside padding of my helmet was very wet, so it probably couldn't adsorb any more sweat.

I've heard a lot of good things about exfog, but I'm not sure if it's the right solution to me, as I might be combating sweat instead of fog? So a simple sweatband might be a better solution? Any advice from the more experienced players here, should I go with a sweatband or with an exfog? Or are there any other solutions you guys recommend? Thanks!

A sweatband is a lot cheaper than an Exfog. I'd say if you're unsure of what the right solution is, I'd try the sweatband first and see how that does. Alternatively, you could try mesh. @heroshark makes some pretty fantastic mesh goggles and glasses and I use a pair when I'm playing if it's a particularly humid or sweaty day. I've still got prescription inserts, so there's only so much I can do to combat the fogging as I need those to see, but even with my inserts I get a lot less fogging when I use mesh because there's a lot more air-flow.

Fogging is always a hurdle to overcome and it may take you a bit of time to find a solution that works well for you.

I've found the muc off anti fog to be very good and I'd be tempted to drill small holes in the helmet for increased ventilation, more heat you can take away from the lense the better.

Edited by concretesnail

Sweatband + some revision wipes would probably cover you. Maybe some goggles where the opening for airflow isn't the lens itself, like some valken tangos with the foam removed. Those with the thermal lens + revision wipes would be hard to fog, and a sweatband should keep the sweat from getting onto the lens. 

Edited by Badgerlicious

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Harvem said:

should I go with a sweatband or with an exfog

Yes.

By which I mean: sweatband. Fan solution (Ex-Fog or DIY).  Dual pane (commercial or DIY).  And Revision wipes.

That combination just about works for me, most of the time.

I should really just order some HeroSharks though, shouldn't I?

• Supporters
8 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Yes.

By which I mean: sweatband. Fan solution (Ex-Fog or DIY).  Dual pane (commercial or DIY).  And Revision wipes.

That combination just about works for me, most of the time.

I should really just order some HeroSharks though, shouldn't I?

You sound about as sweaty as me!

I tried a set of revisions with the dual pane lenses and they lasted all of one game before I went back to mesh.

Yes, you need @heroshark in your life.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Harvem said:

Probably not the first nor the last topic about this, but here goes. Yesterday I had to run back quite a few times to the safe zone because of sweat/fog on my goggles, so I need some advice in how to combat this. I'm also not sure whether it was sweat dripping into my goggles or fog.

So, here's what I run: A helmet, Bolle X800 goggles and a mesh mask that attaches to my helmet. This is what it looks like:

Fog.png.61cd2b3b474f287264af92adfa199c47.png

Now, as for the conditions I was playing in: I was playing at an indoor/outdoor field: mostly indoor, but it's an old factory that doesn't really have any doors, windows are either completely open or smashed in. So, if it's foggy outside, it's gonna be foggy inside. If it's freezing cold outside, it's gonna be freezing cold inside as well. You get the point 😛.

As for yesterday, temperature was at around 10 degrees Celsius, with quite a lot of moisture in the air: breading sometimes formed a breath cloud.

What I'm not sure about: was it fog that I was combating or was it sweat? It seemed more like sweat was dripping into my goggles, as they just became wet instead of foggy. Does this make any sense? I also noticed the inside padding of my helmet was very wet, so it probably couldn't adsorb any more sweat.

I've heard a lot of good things about exfog, but I'm not sure if it's the right solution to me, as I might be combating sweat instead of fog? So a simple sweatband might be a better solution? Any advice from the more experienced players here, should I go with a sweatband or with an exfog? Or are there any other solutions you guys recommend? Thanks!

As you correctly surmise there are two problems most of us face. One is actual fogging caused by temperature differences between your face and the ambient air, the other is caused by sweat (although the two do go somewhat hand in hand)

In terms of what you have there the issue is that while the design of the goggles is such that it has an enormous vent all the way around, you have blocked that airflow with the helmet at the top and the mask at the bottom. It's not just you, it's the way of the world! You may find a better helmet has better airflow - depending on the liner design and whether or not the shell has vents. Personally I am a fan of the FMA Team Wendy LTP Bump style.

I've not used them personally so can only go off 2nd hand information but I've heard these are good

https://www.airsoftanonymous.co.uk/products/mask-solutions-anti-fog-full-face-mask

also just the fan goggles can be found here - https://masksolutions.nl/product/anti-fog-goggle-never-any-fog/

Edited by SgtTalbert

• Supporters
16 minutes ago, SgtTalbert said:

I've not used them personally so can only go off 2nd hand information but I've heard these are good

https://www.airsoftanonymous.co.uk/products/mask-solutions-anti-fog-full-face-mask

also just the fan goggles can be found here - https://masksolutions.nl/product/anti-fog-goggle-never-any-fog/

They're a great idea but I have to say that a £30 pair of goggles glued onto a £10 mask with a tiny wee fan lashed into the top of the frame for £100 seems a bit steep to me. I get the whole "development costs" and "if it's that easy, do it yourself" but still...

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

Agreed, you might as well just buy FMA fan goggles for a fraction of that price.

I wouldn't go THAT far! 

• Supporters
55 minutes ago, Lozart said:

I wouldn't go THAT far! 

I would, and I did.  Not great, but bin off the single 1.5V AA that they're designed (or "designed") to run on and fit a lithium 14500 and you can get a fair bit of whizz out of them.

I run an ExFog, it makes a huge difference, however a cheaper but substantial change for me was dropping using a mesh mask just like yours. It channeled my breath straight upwards at my goggles and made a bad situation much worse.

A Delta Mike snood has been so much better, however you do run the risk of a BB hitting your nose (just look at my avatar, it's only happened once though, and it was an intense firefight that also smashed my red dot).

Edited by Fatboy40

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Fatboy40 said:

Delta Mike snood has been so much better

What's the construction like?  It's surprising that something covered in fabric can be more breathable than mesh. I'm not questioning it, just wondering how they've managed it.

I've a Delta Mike.  I found it too tight for comfort if done up enough not to drop down.  

Heroshark is the true path here though.  Octagonal mesh literally lets you see the light.   

8 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Agreed, you might as well just buy FMA fan goggles for a fraction of that price.

I wouldn't recommend using those, the plexi (if it is that) is very thin. However, very useful if you pull the fan out and attach to a stronger pair of goggles. I consider £15 for a prebuilt fan and speed controller to be a reasonable deal. 

• Supporters
7 hours ago, Badgerlicious said:

I wouldn't recommend using those, the plexi (if it is that) is very thin.

I'd certainly hope it's not "plexi" given that "plexiglass" is acrylic rather than polycarbonate.  Examples doubtless vary, but my side vented model is 2mm of what I'm certain is polycarbonate given the number of point blank and sniper hits that it's shrugged off without any issues.

• Supporters
23 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

I'd certainly hope it's not "plexi" given that "plexiglass" is acrylic rather than polycarbonate.  Examples doubtless vary, but my side vented model is 2mm of what I'm certain is polycarbonate given the number of point blank and sniper hits that it's shrugged off without any issues.

I think it was more of a "plexi" as in "see though plastic". Same as our Henry is constantly referred to as "the Hoover". I agree with the sentiment though, I wouldn't trust them to protect my eyes.

34 minutes ago, Lozart said:

I think it was more of a "plexi" as in "see though plastic". Same as our Henry is constantly referred to as "the Hoover". I agree with the sentiment though, I wouldn't trust them to protect my eyes.

Nah I'm just an idiot 😁 I meant polycarbonate.

Interesting that there's other model out there. I've only seen the ess fan goggle copy called "fma goggles", and the ones I have get dented by my high cycle. 

Edited by Badgerlicious

• Supporters
32 minutes ago, Lozart said:

I agree with the sentiment though, I wouldn't trust them to protect my eyes.

We're - respectfully, based on the examples that we have to hand - disagreeing.  The TB-FMA example that I have seems fine, and I'm happy with the lens thickness and the protection offered.  I've been point-blanked in these over and over with no concerns.  My issue is that the fan is inadequate running off of the suggested 1.5V AA, and I put a lot more push behind it.

61xXLXg-HeL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

• Supporters
23 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

We're - respectfully, based on the examples that we have to hand - disagreeing.  The TB-FMA example that I have seems fine, and I'm happy with the lens thickness and the protection offered.  I've been point-blanked in these over and over with no concerns.  My issue is that the fan is inadequate running off of the suggested 1.5V AA, and I put a lot more push behind it.

61xXLXg-HeL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Fair do's!

To be honest I have a pair of ESS Profile Turbofan goggles for my forced convection eyewear needs. The issue with those is that the foam gasket that interfaces with your sweaty bonce has perished and fallen off. Can't get a decent replacement for love nor money. Currently looking at repurposing a paintball goggle gasket (any other suggestions gratefully received).

• Supporters

Hmm, no, and the foam on mine is also in a bit of a "well weathered" state - I've already had to stick it back down. On a casual search, I didn't find anything equivalent with adhesive on one side, although any thin strip of closed-cell foam (EVA craft supplies, perhaps) plus some impact adhesive should do the trick.

I've temporarily taken them out of rotation though, in favour of either a Valken MI-7 with some small fans added, or another random unbranded set of goggles with DIY dual pane and a bigger blower round the back with the air piped in.

The FMA's sort of work, is the best I'll say about them.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.