Sending new guns to a tech.

Guest nemokingdom

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

If it doesn’t work out if the box, then take that up with the retailer 

Buy from a UK retailer then you have come back on it being ‘fit fit purpose’

They are manufactured/assembled to a standard - probably that ‘it works out of the box’

Not the most efficient or optimised for range, velocity, etc

If you want it optimised in a manner then that’s what you want tech assistance for

You could call upon a retailers ‘extra value’ service with proper techs, or a manufacturer approved tech

Are there many of them in the world or UK for airsoft?

Or you could learn yourself, get to know how your RIF is built & works and then know how to solve problems 

Unlike a team mate of mine with a particular gun (paintball):

He bought it, it ran fine for one day, kept breaking down the next game day.

So he used another gun and sent his back to tech.  Ignoring our cries that it old outdated, heavy & unreliable mechanical tech.  If he’s not able to easily diagnose then he needs to change to a modern reliable easy maintain gun

It came back with no problems found but a service 

It ran fine for a day, and then broke down the next game

Repeat

At a major event he sees an alternate model of the same gun in the bargain bucket and buys it.  Takes it out to play and it’s fine for 5 minutes then keeps failing.

The tech desk is there, he takes it to them

They throw his Poundland battery out and give him a decent one

It works 

Its like buying a new car then taking it straight to a garage saying, "Take the engine apart to check its all good" 😆

nemokingdom

I hope you convert to DEANS and use a good Li-Po and intelligent charger.

Those are more important for a new gun to work well.

Edited by EDcase

Is there a point to be made here;

’If you buy a gun and it doesn’t do what you want it to/you’re not sure how sound it is internally; buy a different gun?’

(Apologies if it’s already been made and I’ve missed it 😂)

I always assume that the Rifle will need to be opened up at somepoint. 

I also have so many rifles all of which have been upgraded to a certain standard. This means that brand new rifles rarely get fielded until it's known weaknesses have been rectified and the gearbox radiused and shimmed correctly. This is to prolong it's life in the long run, especially if proprietary parts are involved. 

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Albiscuit said:

They quickly become triggers broom though dont they.

Like the sales posts with "everything upgraded" its not the same gun then is it? its a frankengun.

i prefer "fully upgraded" on  guns that still have some stock parts.

i did come close to a legitimate "full upgrade" once, but the outer barrel was still original so didn't count :(

Most stock guns don't need anything swapping out anyway. Most can benefit from a Maple Leaf rubber / omega nub combination, but other than that guns generally come pretty great out of the box as long as it's from a reputable brand (G&G, ICS, Cyma, JG, TM etc.)

Unless you're chasing performance, I'm generally of the opinion of "use it stock until it breaks" as then you'll get a good feeling for what you want to do with it, as well as making the most efficient use of the parts. Unless it's a BASR. Those typically require tweaking and fine tuning as they're pretty underwhelming out of the box.

I wasted a bunch of money throwing parts at making my TM m14 an AEG-based DMR and I hated it. Literally wasted about £200 on parts because I ended up HPAing it instead and stripping all the parts out, since that was far more useful to how I play and I only really discovered the world of HPA about a year later.

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Asomodai said:

the gearbox radiused

That's a reasonable point, although V3 is already pretty chonky, and Specna Arms (for example) are pre-radiusing their V2s.  Not that it stops them breaking, mind.

Actually, having an (actual) tech pre-fix / pre-upgrade something like a VFC MP7, M249 or other trick or fragile gearbox might be an idea.  It's also a good sign that you should avoid them though.

• Supporters
4 hours ago, Tackle said:

All jokes aside though, if I bought a brand new gun, whether it was a £120 cyma or & £600 recoil, if it then needed money spent degreasing or shimming etc, I'd be returning it to the retailer as "not fit for purpose", for either a full refund or the issues to be corrected. 

I'm guessing you've not seen the inside of a Cyma or JG recently then?

For reference this is a JG G3, tried it, wanted to fit a better motor as the rate of fire was woeful. When I saw the gobs of horrible brown shite all over the motor shaft when I took it out I decided to open the gearbox and was greeted with the enormous amount of sticky, nasty crap you see here:

20210826_132845.thumb.jpg.97980488d7cdac196bb8bdead5361281.jpg20210823_170108.thumb.jpg.c66423dab73969bcd87e2f1f9940cc7d.jpg

• Supporters

Huh, at least they got it more-or-less on the gears rather than just spunking it randomly inside the shell.

It does make me laugh when folk ask "wut am best loob?" when the answer versus factory snot is just about anything that you have to hand.

• Supporters
59 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Huh, at least they got it more-or-less on the gears

More by luck than judgement I'd wager!

• Supporters

to be fair to jg, the ones i've seen have still been running smooth despite the earwax grease, plastic pistons and suboptimal shimming.

certainly nowhere near as egregious as some of the stuff you see folk voluntarily doing to their guns

10 hours ago, EDcase said:

Its like buying a new car then taking it straight to a garage saying, "Take the engine apart to check its all good" 😆

Pop's Yoshimura did this for a living and was a legend.  He would take new Suzuki engines to bits and reassemble them 100% correctly as the designers blueprint.  Without swapping a single component he would get IIRC, about 8% extra power.   They were also more reliable for endurance racing.  

In the '70s thru to the 90's, if you bought a Ural or Enfield, you trailered it home and swapped the pistons, valves, carbs, big ends and gearbox bushes!

Those days are gone thank fuck.

3 minutes ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

Pop's Yoshimura did this for a living and was a legend.  He would take new Suzuki engines to bits and reassemble them 100% correctly as the designers blueprint.  Without swapping a single component he would get IIRC, about 8% extra power.   They were also more reliable for endurance racing.  

In the '70s thru to the 90's, if you bought a Ural or Enfield, you trailered it home and swapped the pistons, valves, carbs, big ends and gearbox bushes!

Yeah, of course that's standard practice for racing cars.

Not so much for popping to Tesco 😆

12 minutes ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

I bet that Pops Yoshimura never bought from BBguns4less then stripped the gun down to rebuild it

14 minutes ago, EDcase said:

Yeah, of course that's standard practice for racing cars.

Not so much for popping to Tesco 😆

No jesting, if you bought a Dnieper for chugging to work and back you rebuilt the bastard before running it on the standard parts damaged something.  

You probably went to the International or Lyons Corner Tea House rather than Tesco mind.  

Actually thinking about it...

Venom blueprinted and tuned Weihrauch rifles and Rigby did the same with Mausers, and both still do.

WTF this has to do with the topic I'm not sure.  Your comment just sent me off down memory lane.  

9 hours ago, Lozart said:

I'm guessing you've not seen the inside of a Cyma or JG recently then?

For reference this is a JG G3, tried it, wanted to fit a better motor as the rate of fire was woeful. When I saw the gobs of horrible brown shite all over the motor shaft when I took it out I decided to open the gearbox and was greeted with the enormous amount of sticky, nasty crap you see here:

20210826_132845.thumb.jpg.97980488d7cdac196bb8bdead5361281.jpg20210823_170108.thumb.jpg.c66423dab73969bcd87e2f1f9940cc7d.jpg

I'm not sure if this is better or worse than my recent nuprol purchase that was bone dry inside the gearbox. 

I will always advocate for people learning at least the basic "teching" skills. Why spend a couple of days airsofting money and waiting for a few weeks when you could spend an hour doing your own basic service? 

Edited by Badgerlicious

6 hours ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

Don’t forget Tony Scott who,also,did this with Honda v4 engines for,the TT

• Supporters
10 hours ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

Blueprinting an engine does require changing out components to be able to meet the design spec. Sometimes it's just a bit of lapping and polishing but if the tolerances are too far out, you have to change components.

But yes, Yoshimura. Legend.

OP. 

The best thing you can do is get a Cyma or Specna arms for as cheap as possible or even better second hand. 

Then send that to a tech with a known rep and be prepared to wait to send it to one that is busy for good reason. 

You will end up with a better build, for less money then buying a premium TM.

These days you would want to get the gearbox short stroked anyway. So its going to need to see some love at somepoint.
You may as well start that process as early as possible.

• Supporters
7 hours ago, Groot said:

OP. 

The best thing you can do is get a Cyma or Specna arms for as cheap as possible or even better second hand. 

Then send that to a tech with a known rep and be prepared to wait to send it to one that is busy for good reason. 

You will end up with a better build, for less money then buying a premium TM.

These days you would want to get the gearbox short stroked anyway. So its going to need to see some love at somepoint.
You may as well start that process as early as possible.

And in one fell swoop a comment that completely ignores all that have gone before ! 🤣🤣🤣

Me personally I’ve always felt unless a new gun is REALLY REALLY performing badly no matter how cheap or expensive it may be once it’s opened up you’ve started the countdown timer on it , near all ‘upgraded’ guns will die in the future it’s just a case when it’ll happen . Generally speaking most short comings of new guns can be overcome by improving your own in game skills and NOT just relying on the gun to have the longest range/ highest rate of fire or fastest trigger response , I’ve seen plenty of players dominate the game field with a shite rental or bottom end of the market AEG because they has the skills . Always have AND always will believe player skill will defeat expensive kit hands down every time no question.

22 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

And in one fell swoop a comment that completely ignores all that have gone before ! 🤣🤣🤣

Me personally I’ve always felt unless a new gun is REALLY REALLY performing badly no matter how cheap or expensive it may be once it’s opened up you’ve started the countdown timer on it , near all ‘upgraded’ guns will die in the future it’s just a case when it’ll happen . Generally speaking most short comings of new guns can be overcome by improving your own in game skills and NOT just relying on the gun to have the longest range/ highest rate of fire or fastest trigger response , I’ve seen plenty of players dominate the game field with a shite rental or bottom end of the market AEG because they has the skills . Always have AND always will believe player skill will defeat expensive kit hands down every time no question.

What?

AEG's die or last for ages. Only rule for me is never buy a heavily upgraded 2nd hand gunless you plan to instantly open it and un-funk some "experts" work.

Skill is great and all.... half decent skills with extra range and consistency, is even better.

Fortunately for me... I'm fucking amazing and also have really meta builds. 

*now rub my nipples*

image.thumb.png.7b7ca2f32d7674ddb10afd26fd85dcdf.png

49 minutes ago, EDcase said:

Eeeew manboobs 😬

The OP did say that he doesn't send AEGs for upgrades, just to be greased and shimmed  🙄

Cutting a few teeth and getting the power right, is not what i would consider an upgrade. 

Also, they are called bitch tits!!

image.png.8bbd57d0e8857c5fd8ccb9c0d1f27f53.png

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Groot said:

What?

AEG's die or last for ages. Only rule for me is never buy a heavily upgraded 2nd hand gunless you plan to instantly open it and un-funk some "experts" work.

Skill is great and all.... half decent skills with extra range and consistency, is even better.

Fortunately for me... I'm fucking amazing and also have really meta builds. 

*now rub my nipples*

image.thumb.png.7b7ca2f32d7674ddb10afd26fd85dcdf.png

Think you really need to cut back on the caffeine ! 😉

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.