Putting shells inside an Obsolete caliber Snider Enfield?

LordOstrichVI

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So I was able to get my hands on a pristine condition Snider Enfield Rifle on the cheap. My intentions were to deactivate it for export and seal the barrel up and everything but it occurred to me that it might possibly be able to chamber and fire airsoft shells that had self contained gas. But before that i just had some questions.

1. Are self contained gas shells still legal in the UK? i recall hearing a while back that BACS CO2 airsoft guns were classed as section 5 firearms for the specific reason that they were too real, but at the same time i see APS shotgun shells floating around in the UK.

2. What would be the closest fit for a 577/450 chamber? Its equivalent to a 24 gauge shotgun shell so its about 16mm in diameter, I think APS shells are a close fit and maybe PPS Shells? I was also looking into 3D printing adapters for smaller sized single shot pistol or rifle airsoft cartridges if anyone knows any good and easy to get ones out there. I refuse to modify the gun in any way to damage a historical artifact or accidentally entering non-obsolete caliber territory, so shaving off material at the breech end is out of the question for me.

3. Are there any reasonably priced self contained gas shells out there on the market? or is anyone willing to sell? 

Octagon do Cassiopeia shells, thats your best bet. They fire by a ring on the front rather than a button on the back so you'd have to figure a way of making that work.

Edited by heroshark

For question 1 - self contained air powered shells remain illegal, and existing Brococks remain only lawful to the owners who obtained certificates when the law was introduced, and have no legal method of passing them on

Which is contrary to the availability of other systems such as 40mm shells etc

Be very careful with where you get your advice and how you act on it.

You could be in danger of taking a legal rifle due to obsolete calibre and loading it with an illegal self contained system 

(actually the opposite of what caused self contained air cartridges to become illegal - modifying to fire ‘real’ ammunition)

Cassiopeia shells are not illegal and will do the job. Some of these are non functional replicas modded to fire them. 247617616_10158577405718565_4953045948093156906_n.thumb.jpg.f786173a97cbfea118a6aaae7ab69abf.jpg

Edited by heroshark

• Supporters

Hmm, self-contained gas cartridges are Section 5 (1)(ae) verboten under the ASBO Act 2003.

I'm always happy to learn, so what's the workaround?  Airsoft gun, therefore not a firearm for purposes of the Firearms Act, therefore ha-ha, can't touch me, Dredd?

I'd want to be sure on this one, not internets-said sure.

Stupid thing about this is the Brocock Revolver's where targeted as some where found to have been converted to 22rimfire. Likely hood most would have likely blown up even if they managed a few rnds. But they regulated the whole thing including the shells even though the shell was redundant once modded to fire 22rim fire. AFAIK it's only the Brocock shells that are specifically targeted under this nonsense legislation. I've known people order the Cassiopeia shells and indeed PPS and other AS shells with out issue as they simply have not been shone under the same light as the infamous Brocock.

• Supporters

There are plenty of things that you can buy in the UK, including full auto airsoft guns over 1.3J - i.e. section 5 firearms.

That doesn't actually make it legal to sell or buy them. It just means that you can buy them. These are separate considerations.

Damn, well I guess this project is over before it even started lol, also heroshark, if you don't mind my asking, where was that picture with those replicas taken? Would like to pay a visit if I could. 

Edited by LordOstrichVI

28 minutes ago, DrAlexanderTobacco said:

"any air rifle, air gun or air pistol" - Does a RIF, or deac count?

Not certain  about DEAC, but airsoft toys are by definition, IF’s or RIF’s, not any sort of gun, rifle or pistol

2 hours ago, DrAlexanderTobacco said:

"any air rifle, air gun or air pistol" - Does a RIF, or deac count?

Under firearms act definitions airsoft guns would be air weapons, thus an air rifle, air gun or air pistol. But section 57a raised an exemption if an airsoft gun is compliant

F157AException for airsoft guns

(1)An “airsoft gun” is not to be regarded as a firearm for the purposes of this Act.

(2)An “airsoft gun” is a barrelled weapon of any description which—

(a)is designed to discharge only a small plastic missile (whether or not it is also capable of discharging any other kind of missile), and

(b)is not capable of discharging a missile (of any kind) with kinetic energy at the muzzle of the weapon that exceeds the permitted level.

(3)Small plastic missile” means a missile that—

(a)is made wholly or partly from plastics,

(b)is spherical, and

(c)does not exceed 8 millimetres in diameter.

(4)The permitted kinetic energy level is—

(a)in the case of a weapon which is capable of discharging two or more missiles successively without repeated pressure on the trigger, 1.3 joules;

(b)in any other case, 2.5 joules.]

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/27/section/57A

4 hours ago, LordOstrichVI said:

Damn, well I guess this project is over before it even started lol, also heroshark, if you don't mind my asking, where was that picture with those replicas taken? Would like to pay a visit if I could. 

Better not say now in case they get the fuzz down 🤣

5 hours ago, Tommikka said:

Just like cocaine

download.jpeg

• Supporters
5 hours ago, Tommikka said:

But section 57a raised an exemption if an airsoft gun is compliant

Indeed, if it's designed to shoot plastic at under 2.5J (semi or manual), Section 5 won't apply - that's the only reason we can use fully automatic toys at all.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.