discharging batterys

furylemon97

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters
1 minute ago, furylemon97 said:

dont they need to be discharged to be stored away?

depends on how long you plan on storing them for, but generally if it's less than a month then there's no point.

• Supporters

I don't bother myself given the cost vs benefit vs my time, but I've come round to being convinced that storing somewhere below maximum capacity is probably a good idea as there could be some chemical unpleasantness if you leave a lithium cell fully charged.

However, I'm not even sure what we're looking at in terms of voltage, given that a typical charger will pump cells to 4.2V rather than the nominal 3.7V, and that voltage and capacity aren't a linear relationship.  70-80% of maximum charge would mean a cell voltage of something like 3.95 - 4.02V, but I doubt that's what a charger will set as a storage voltage (and it can only see the voltage and resistance, not the actual charge).

I'll storage charge a 2S on my B6 and see what it settles down at. I've never done this before, I reckon I'll see something like 3.8V per cell / 7.6V, which would only be  about 40% charge, but I'm all tingly to find out (or that could be bad earthing).

[UPDATE]

Yup, 3.8V per cell, or about 40% charge. I'm surprised it's that low, I used a lipo that hasn't been charged for many months, and it still had to discharge it down from 4.0V per cell.

• Supporters
2 hours ago, furylemon97 said:

dont they need to be discharged to be stored away?

As mentioned, ideally they should be put to a storage level but it isn't absolutely necessary.

33 minutes ago, EDcase said:

If you have a decent charger there will be a storage charge option.

That will charge or discharge to the correct medium level for long term storage.

If you don't have a decent charger, get one.

• Supporters

I'm still shocked and stunned that a "decent charger" thinks that a storage charge is so low. I'd always been told 80% by real internets experts, but SkyRC reckon it's half of that.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.