Sub forum idea...

Khyber

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey guys. So I had a game day yesterday and was chatting to a Marshall at the end. He asked us of we had any ideas for game modes to try, they are open to suggestions. This got me thinking.. I can think of a few potentially fun objective based games.

I think it would be nice to have a sub forum dedicated to the discussion of new games that people come up with and get shared input from everyone. Or to share unique ones they have come across at certain sites etc...

Anyway just a thought... what do you guys think?

• Supporters

think the biggest obstacle in discussing game scenarios/idea's is how well a given scenario plays out is as much a factor of the site (layout, obstacles, environment, size etc), the marshalling staff (their ability to explain and enforce rules), and the playerbase (the number of players, the regular/visitor balance and the willingness of the regulars/visitors to get into the spirit of a new game mode)

for example, a simple fall back game- there's a long but thin (inb4 ooh matron...) strip of forest as the game zone.

attackers start at one end- get hit you fall back X paces then back in, get one man to the end building/flag/zone and it's game over

defenders start wherever they want- get hit you fall back X paces and your back in but you can't advance. once you've been pushed back into the final zone then it's down to 1 life.

not exactly the most complicated ruleset. and when played with people who either knew, or at least listened to, the rules it works pretty well. however the number of times you'd find folks ignoring the whole "don't advance as a defender" bit and it would ruin the game, as it'd just bog down into a pointless stalemate, with the usual suspects of cheating/overshooting etc soon bubbling up as peoples frustration mounts.

likewise, that same (or similar enough) scenario on different sites, where the terrain made the game zone either less clear-cut or the area was wider making defending from flanking infinitely more difficult, it'd end up with one player flanking (possibly out of bounds if the game zone was ill-defined/that player didn't bother listening in the brief) and just walking up to the flag and game over. play it on a site with a tight choke point (ie not wide enough to push against one side of the line to force a breakthrough) and we're back to the aforementioned pointless stalemate.

or as an even better example- every attempt at introducing an airsoft version of trouble in terrorist town immediately results in a free for all death match as nobody bothers understanding the rules or implementing tactics beyond "we don't know who the enemy team is- just shoot everyone"

I see where your getting at and totally agree that a lot of game modes may well be defined by different factors based on site layouts etc... I still think it could be a good place for players or even marshals on here to get inspiration that can then be tailored to their specific site. The beauty of it is that many objectives can be tweaked or rules added/dropped to suit various layouts. Just by being asked by marshals for input showed to me that they want players to have more control to make their local site more varied and fun. If people have a specific idea it could be stated in a simple rule set with factors that are needed e.g. boundaries, objectives and specific requirements to layout etc... even if some one submitted a full objective game and some one took just one rule for inspiration on another style of game that would suit their local site then we are all getting something from it. Surely cant hurt to discuss :) I think I will start a topic about it anyway and see what input we get. I already have a few ideas.. some which may well be limited by factors that only some sites can accommodate and some that would probably work almost anywhere.

6 hours ago, Khyber said:

Hey guys. So I had a game day yesterday and was chatting to a Marshall at the end. He asked us of we had any ideas for game modes to try, they are open to suggestions. This got me thinking.. I can think of a few potentially fun objective based games.

I think it would be nice to have a sub forum dedicated to the discussion of new games that people come up with and get shared input from everyone. Or to share unique ones they have come across at certain sites etc...

Anyway just a thought... what do you guys think?

3 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Sounds like a solid subject.  How about starting a General Discussion thread to get the ball rolling; it's entirely on topic.

Just go for it and create a thread.

Game formats can work well or badly depending on venue, the underlying rules and the people playing - including whether they listen or don’t

The worst thing to do is to pick an online game and try to play those rules - two reasons

1) It works online due to the mechanics of a computer controlled game 

2) Not everyone has played that game, let alone understood the format rules & if I played “Domination” in one game a decade ago it could be very different rules to “Domination” in last weeks top game of the year 

But outline a very rough plan or a fully detailed rule set and the organisers on another site can apply it to their site with any tweaks to the rules.  If they can’t work whether a game and rule set will need tweaking for their venue* and players then they can’t really design one from scratch 

* We had a game plan set for an event in Drakelow tunnels, the game was cancelled.  A few years later we ran the ‘same’ game plan at a much smaller urban site on a smaller scale with a

few tweaks to each mission to fit the site and number of players 

It’s also great fun to experiment with rules - it’s one of the things we have done many times.  If it doesn’t work then change it (ideally not mid game, but that can be possible). 

Every one of our early games was made up of either ripped off rules & missions from other organisers, or a variation that we had a twist to try out.

Good shout. The ideas i have don't really have anything in common with traditional FPS online games as A. They are old and played to death and B. Like you said would likely not work as intended. 

That's the idea... if people just share ideas then individuals can take as little or as much and transform it to work for them. I think your right in saying if a game organiser cant tweak a rule set or objective etc to fit their site then they probably aren't going to do well designing a game from the ground up. I'm going to write up the ideas I currently have and start a topic on it. If any admin decide that a sub forum would be a good idea (mainly so each submission can be its own topic so you don't have to scroll through pages of threads on one topic to find new games) then it can be moved to that forum. 

Thanks for your input guys :) I may be a noob to the sport but I'd like to bring something to it.

Edited by Khyber

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.