battery vs motor decision

concretesnail

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Morning all.

I need your help in making a decision in regards to a back up aeg that needs some love.

I have a g36 which has been a faithful backup aeg for along time and other than an anti reversal latch failing it's been solid.

The batteries that I had been using for it have finally had their day and have so much internal resistance they aren't able to supply the draw required and barely hold a charge 24hrs.

However the predicament is that I now only use 11.1v lipo in main aegs and using an 11.1 in the g36 sends the motors whining post cycle like its been sent spinning into space. So I need to find a balance, do I buy more batteries for the g36 that only gets occasional use and have to care for them, or swap out for a motor that likes 3s lipo and share batteries?

Motor options seem a little limited at the moment, so it might be an xt high torque 28tpa being used or an shs 16tpa.

Edited by concretesnail
correction

• Supporters

What do you mean by "whining post cycle"?

It's not a good idea running a normal AEG on 11.1V because it will burn the contacts on the trigger switch. Make a simple MOSFET circuit that protects it, then it should be fine.

However if there are weird sounds when using it, there is probably something else is going on with the gun. High torque motor will only make it cycle faster and possibly double feeding, plus since it will draw much higher current, it will burn the switch much faster.

All in all, if it is a backup gun, you might be better off with a 7.4V lipo and not modifying the gun itself.

The whine is a post cycle completion winding down noise but only on 3s, more voltage being more ram etc, so i'd guess that the motor is coasting to a halt after being spun up rather than stopping once the power cuts.

It already has an electronic trigger so I'm not worried about contacts burning.

It has a "high torque" motor as standard but as we all know non labeled high torque can questionable, so I either have to buy more 2s packs just for the backup or fund a motor that likes 3s I think.

Edited by concretesnail

• Supporters

so it's over-spinning, but not enough to cause a double fire?

tbh that's relatively normal, especially for motors with weaker magnets and/or no use of active braking.

overspin on its own won't really damage a gun although it can be the cause of lock-ups in semi auto depending on where the system stops, what would be of more concern is PME in auto.

I hadn't really thought about pme on auto. I'm a semi auto kind of player as I've been using gbbrs mainly so it didn't pop into my head.

I still have either find a new motor that's better with 3s and doesn't over spin or buy more lipos then.

• Supporters

What i'm meaning is that overspin on its own isnt really an issue.

If there's no pme in auto and it's not locking up/double firing in semi then tbh a bit of overspin is just free precocking (precocking being just intentional controlled overspin)

7 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

What i'm meaning is that overspin on its own isnt really an issue.

If there's no pme in auto and it's not locking up/double firing in semi then tbh a bit of overspin is just free precocking (precocking being just intentional controlled overspin)

That's a good point, my brain is mush today, it's just not picking these things up.

• Supporters
15 hours ago, concretesnail said:

That's a good point, my brain is mush today, it's just not picking these things up.

i know the feeling man :P

only just noticed in the op that you mention the ARL isn't so good on that gun, might be the noise you're hearing is the spring pushing back and the gun's running backwards when it'd otherwise be caught by the arl.

although again that wouldn't really damage it, just doesn't sound nice.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.