Night vision mono

Sneaky

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all,

I am looking at buying some night vision.  I have seen a digital version, black and white images. Would that suffice for night games?  I could wait and save to buy something proper, but wanted to see what players think and what they have experienced.

I was looking at these;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294290224925

Mate don't bother with that cheap chinese rubbish...there is no Cheap NV solution.

You can probably pickup a 2nd hand GEN2+ for around £1000.

You could try looking at getting a GEN1+ tube from somewhere...but you would have to use a IR illuminator/torch with this to see anything though.

There is also the Sionx Aurora NV camera that some peeps use as NV monocular which is around £500-600 I think.

My budget Armasight Gen2+ cost me £1300 from ScottCountry sport. (On finance mind you)  They still sell NV I think so maybe worth checking them out, but they stopped selling cheap NV camera's years ago.

https://www.sionyx.com/collections/night-vision-cameras

https://www.scottcountry.co.uk/night-vision/monoculars/

11 hours ago, Sneaky said:

am looking at buying some night vision.  I have seen a digital version, black and white images. Would that suffice for night games?

Unfortunately not unless you are the only player with night vision in the game area. the thing about digital is that they do still require a light source they just allow you to see IR, so they tend to come with an IR LED illuminator to make anything near darkness visible. unfortunately, because IR is very close on the light spectrum to red you can often appear to people without NV as a glowing red cyclops and for those with NODs you appear as having a giant headtorch, which isn't exactly subtle either. hopefully that explains their limitations, however for dusk and dawn when they don't require the additional light they're great but your eyeball does pretty well too then and is definitely cheaper.

as @Monkman said you can pick up a pretty good unit for around 1.5 k second-hand although bargains do occasionally pop up around the 1K mark and there are a couple of FB groups for buying and selling NODs. if you're going the whole hog and making a once in a lifetime investment go for Gen 3s or Photonis Echo's or better if you can, just make sure to see what they're like in person if going second hand. Equally most Gen 2+ units will be amazing for your occasional night game use and it's probably only worth stepping up if you are putting in the hours at night.

Edited by Crazy_Crystal
Good old spelling mistake.

Guest DrAlexanderTobacco

Adding a third "Nooooooo" to the thread - definitely save up!

If you're on Facebook, join this group: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/115162068494946/   (Night Vision Marketplace (Outside USA) Airsoft/ Milsim/ LEO)

It'll let you feel for a pulse on how much different kit costs. Pls feel free to ask any questions you might have in this thread too

Hi all, I have taken the plunge and I am very happy with the results. Just need to find a better more adjustable mount!

0528886D-5816-4A53-83F1-2DCE61B3CBCB.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Sneaky said:

Hi all, I have taken the plunge and I am very happy with the results. Just need to find a better more adjustable mount!

0528886D-5816-4A53-83F1-2DCE61B3CBCB.jpeg

What make,price and spec?

And more importantly,do.they work?

Regards 

44 minutes ago, Shamal said:

What make,price and spec?

And more importantly,do.they work?

Regards 

I bought these off a seller on eBay in the UK. Made in China, these were brand new.  I have gone for a walk in the nearby woodland and they work really well and they have good range, which is ideal for airsoft. The Picture is nice, clear and sharp. The mount which is tough plastic, I will replace with a metal one.  I am looking for a fully adjustable mount - anyone could advise that would be great. They were £1150, but I offered £1000 which was taken. I was on the fence but I went for it and I am glad I did.  I will be trying them out this Friday evening (night game) but using the headset and stand alone strap, to see how I get in with it.

Welcome to the NOD Squad.. :)

I miss Drakelow Tunnels...such a great place for being a sneaky bastard in the dark.

EdfkNrb_37vE10Cz64LD7jyRzZZSFNTeT3UT_oX_uPdNudIOivMbizusSW4yqZlQ_M5oVWe2iPtHhUxYd0J5QSP0OPYIdWQsJMfSn-ksYAwZNaSqu3B7lc2tyJUuL5lr-z3TfAsc8iLANmg0RX2YFNgXOPxAVOtwTWIeqZv75y9e30BEzoHe7-6S0iImsdy2KSrcto5hAm-_VxtYX-HMgP0O8g-kREfPdRfvhwek4WLIiBveQ1ghKM1_sotz1gD0EfvCsnzGCrDBovCifZUx6-R4Z1kSeSZ-MotBULB8UH508Zi0XdHMVVHynzHzyelqXYC7mHiUpOTH43vRBoUgYAO3w5252cxdqNRIp5o5Lz1oixelrqI4pZw9CCt5cVr5j61pG6aM49cWc0veUcGvUDuS_4LEZhcG9DMsuRaOt70Jx6gSzsvTCYrnSv-8JHdlCF5ZphZES-Sc6p1yAFnE3d54KAw1t0Kv526dQUBOn_WW9MPJrbY2FiSb_0HctS_nLVB1nrMtbV-pIiVl1MoaQQ3_p0AZnj7OHBAmc1DySBgbGAX88qsZWoyw9EZDBikQNB2hkCI6hKhiQ8k6whXSvkeCB_u1cSAz9UsLTOYiFuECyNfEZXfQ7m4G1Lxe2typfJmVoP0eOAOlaj2YSvZUep1CJOjb2-a-zALOqZ7vAimqv-I3Tw8jFJPiRUoaZhwh2fZqS0ykv9bM0_l0gH4U6_c=s1280-no?authuser=0

2 minutes ago, Monkman said:

Welcome to the NOD Squad.. :)

I miss Drakelow Tunnels...such a great place for being a sneaky bastard in the dark.

EdfkNrb_37vE10Cz64LD7jyRzZZSFNTeT3UT_oX_uPdNudIOivMbizusSW4yqZlQ_M5oVWe2iPtHhUxYd0J5QSP0OPYIdWQsJMfSn-ksYAwZNaSqu3B7lc2tyJUuL5lr-z3TfAsc8iLANmg0RX2YFNgXOPxAVOtwTWIeqZv75y9e30BEzoHe7-6S0iImsdy2KSrcto5hAm-_VxtYX-HMgP0O8g-kREfPdRfvhwek4WLIiBveQ1ghKM1_sotz1gD0EfvCsnzGCrDBovCifZUx6-R4Z1kSeSZ-MotBULB8UH508Zi0XdHMVVHynzHzyelqXYC7mHiUpOTH43vRBoUgYAO3w5252cxdqNRIp5o5Lz1oixelrqI4pZw9CCt5cVr5j61pG6aM49cWc0veUcGvUDuS_4LEZhcG9DMsuRaOt70Jx6gSzsvTCYrnSv-8JHdlCF5ZphZES-Sc6p1yAFnE3d54KAw1t0Kv526dQUBOn_WW9MPJrbY2FiSb_0HctS_nLVB1nrMtbV-pIiVl1MoaQQ3_p0AZnj7OHBAmc1DySBgbGAX88qsZWoyw9EZDBikQNB2hkCI6hKhiQ8k6whXSvkeCB_u1cSAz9UsLTOYiFuECyNfEZXfQ7m4G1Lxe2typfJmVoP0eOAOlaj2YSvZUep1CJOjb2-a-zALOqZ7vAimqv-I3Tw8jFJPiRUoaZhwh2fZqS0ykv9bM0_l0gH4U6_c=s1280-no?authuser=0

Nice setup. 

Does anyone know where I can buy a better PVS helmet mount?

I am after one that is much more adjustable the the standard rhino one.

Thanks all.

Welcome to the green eyed club!! - Think as DrAlexanderTobacco has stated, join the NV FB Page, there's an absolute wealth of info / kit available to purchase via there

What's the spec on your device?

4 hours ago, Sneaky said:

Does anyone know where I can buy a better PVS helmet mount?

I am after one that is much more adjustable the the standard rhino one.

Thanks all.

The best options for what you're looking for is either a Wilcox L4G11 mount or a norotos AKA2 bayonet mount, as these will fit any OpsCore/Wilcox style night vision shrouds and are highly adjustable. as to where you can get them is a little trickier outside of the states. I would suggest the facebook groups mentioned before or ebay as your best bet.

Alternatively Wilcox do make an adapter, but you'll have to have a search for dovetail to bayonet adapters for yourself.

Hopefully you'll find something fairly quickly.

5 hours ago, MikeMarden said:

Welcome to the green eyed club!! - Think as DrAlexanderTobacco has stated, join the NV FB Page, there's an absolute wealth of info / kit available to purchase via there

What's the spec on your device?

Here we go:, please feel free to explain anything to me. I have requested to join some forums,.

Lens system:

26.8mm F/1.2

Effective Visual Distance:

>0.25m

Keywords:

night vision pvs 7

Place of Origin:

Shaanxi China

Photocathode sensitivity:

≥550μA/lm

FOM:

1150-1350

Size:

160*150*75mm

Detect range:

FOV:

40 deg

Model Number:

MH-NVGs

Battery Type:

3V CR123A Battery

Weight:

500g(2 batteries included)

Tube reliability standard:

10000hrs

Focus Range:

0.25m-infinity

Brand Name:

MH

Type:

NVG

Product name:

night vision pvs 7

Operating Voltage:

3V

Magnification:

x

12 minutes ago, Sneaky said:

Photocathode sensitivity:

≥550μA/lm

FOM:

1150-1350

FOV:

40 deg

Basically this is the important tube information. it looks like being a reasonable gen 2 unit although being a pvs 7 means you may need some practice with it to avoid tripping over things (No depth perception.)

Either way enjoy your NODs and get yourself to some night games.

Edited by Crazy_Crystal

3 hours ago, Crazy_Crystal said:

Basically this is the important tube information. it looks like being a reasonable gen 2 unit although being a pvs 7 means you may need some practice with it to avoid tripping over things (No depth perception.)

Either way enjoy your NODs and get yourself to some night games.

Yeah the depth perception will take time, took a walk in the forest.

im going the Gunman at Eversley this Friday, should be fun!

12 hours ago, Sneaky said:

Yeah the depth perception will take time, took a walk in the forest.

im going the Gunman at Eversley this Friday, should be fun!

Nice, I may bump into you at some point then, although i'm not actually around this week. (It's my local site.)

Things that go bump in the night? Umm @Sneaky? 😉

Regards 

32 minutes ago, Shamal said:

Things that go bump in the night? Umm @Sneaky? 😉

Regards 

Yeah, I think that will be me doing that alot tomorrow, then getting shot maybe??

He game was cancelled as only three of us showed up.  So I took 5he opportunity to explore with these on and to get used to it.

Now home and looking at IR lasers, sacrificial lens and after some digging I found my night vision and the manufacture. 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003074919712.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.55c621b4tIShCU&algo_pvid=58381ae7-00a9-46d0-b921-9164223fdfc3&algo_exp_id=58381ae7-00a9-46d0-b921-9164223fdfc3-2&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id"%3A"12000023877446118"}

5373ABE7-9624-4411-8654-10A52CB39560.jpeg

It may be compatible with these... Heard that the FMA mounts are supposed to be pretty good.  Make sure your secure your NODS to the helmet with a bungee cord or lanyard...just in case you catch them and it breaks away from the helmet (like it's designed to, to stop you breaking your neck)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/World-EU-Tatical-Airsoft-Helmet/dp/B06XGTBKT1?th=1

+1 for joining NV on FB..that's where I got some good info..

https://www.facebook.com/groups/NVGNOD

Also Reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/NightVision/ (Good place for info... A bloke in Texas supplied me with x6 geniune PVS14 sacrificial lenses..which are ITAR as well..but came throught he post fine)

Also for IR Lasers..if you can afford one, go for a G&P DBAL a2 - Expensive but easy to zero, made of metal and you can use lower power setting.  Also had Red laser/IR laser and IR Illuminator..though I would go with a IR Illuminator (IR Torch) (Wish sell some good repo Surefire ones..just check description make sure it's IR as well as White light)

Failing that a FMA AN/PEQ15 repo with Red/IR laser white light is ok, but don't expect to be able to zero the lasers much and they lose zero at the slightest knock.  (I zero'd mine.then put some tape over the dials so they wouldn't move..with the G&P Dbal..the dials click and don't get knocked easy)

Edited by Monkman

12 hours ago, Monkman said:

It may be compatible with these... Heard that the FMA mounts are supposed to be pretty good.  Make sure your secure your NODS to the helmet with a bungee cord or lanyard...just in case you catch them and it breaks away from the helmet (like it's designed to, to stop you breaking your neck)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/World-EU-Tatical-Airsoft-Helmet/dp/B06XGTBKT1?th=1

+1 for joining NV on FB..that's where I got some good info..

https://www.facebook.com/groups/NVGNOD

Also Reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/NightVision/ (Good place for info... A bloke in Texas supplied me with x6 geniune PVS14 sacrificial lenses..which are ITAR as well..but came throught he post fine)

Also for IR Lasers..if you can afford one, go for a G&P DBAL a2 - Expensive but easy to zero, made of metal and you can use lower power setting.  Also had Red laser/IR laser and IR Illuminator..though I would go with a IR Illuminator (IR Torch) (Wish sell some good repo Surefire ones..just check description make sure it's IR as well as White light)

Failing that a FMA AN/PEQ15 repo with Red/IR laser white light is ok, but don't expect to be able to zero the lasers much and they lose zero at the slightest knock.  (I zero'd mine.then put some tape over the dials so they wouldn't move..with the G&P Dbal..the dials click and don't get knocked easy)

Cheers @Monkman I joined the FB forum and posted, but heard nothing yet.  I have had more help here than anywhere else.  I will check out the Reddit page now.

once again thanks everyone for your help.

Sneaky.

On 12/11/2021 at 22:13, Monkman said:

What are your thoughts of these:

G&P DBAL a2 - Come with IR illuminator

WADSN SBAL A-2 Come with IR illuminator

WADSN Mini DBAL with red laser and IR laser

After spending some time outside, I do not think I need an IR illuminator as the vision is spot on.  Why would I need an IR illuminator, is it realy needed?  I like that all three options are metal cased.

13 hours ago, Sneaky said:

What are your thoughts of these:

G&P DBAL a2 - Come with IR illuminator

WADSN SBAL A-2 Come with IR illuminator

WADSN Mini DBAL with red laser and IR laser

After spending some time outside, I do not think I need an IR illuminator as the vision is spot on.  Why would I need an IR illuminator, is it realy needed?  I like that all three options are metal cased.

An IR Illuminator is definitely useful in very very lowlight conditions such as heavily overcast or in dense woodland, indoors etc. however I'm not sure if I'd use any of the dbal's just for illumination as they don't throw the light very far. however that is compared to a dedicated weapon light. in fact i recently picked up a cheap Ali IR x300 on my MP7 that is really very good if you're not able/willing to get a real surefire or Inforce light. (I also use an Inforce WMLx for reference.)

Another thing to be aware of is that IR Lasers can be banned at events as they can be very dangerous (Ironically because you can't see it, so you dont know if its pointed in your eyes and therefore you don't blink. Having said that the G&P DBAL is often considered one of the better IR lasers out there as it will hold it's zero under recoil.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.