Ballistics and how less power is more energy delivery.

AirSniper

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

1 hour ago, AirSniper said:

Point again that Ballistics works in space... Shows that even in LEO that the pull of gravity can affect an object unless it is travleing with enough energy to carry it in to space.

Again, some of these "Projectiles" are the size and weight of flecks of paint.

In space a fleck of paint travelling at the speeds of a bullet in space carries enough momentum that if it hits something, can crack that thing, chip it or in some cases, pass straight through the hull of the ISS. 

Again, I draw attention to the fact that ballistics works any where and the denial by some that the same calculations for airsoft are the very same calculations used in daily science for calculating KE, even in air gun and live round shooting, archery and so on. 

It seems to be a lost fact on people.

NO.

Those flecks of paint are not travelling at the speed of bullets, a fact that seems to be lost on you.

Low orbit satellites (inc ISS) travel at 17000 mph, geosynchronous satellite at 7000mph.

The “pull of gravity” as you put it (side note, gravity is not a force, it doesn’t pull anything, see A.Einstein et al) always affects anything, whatever speed it’s travelling at, there is no “unless”🤣.

You're not doing yourself or your point any favours getting basic science wrong, no wonder nobody is listening to you pontificate about ballistics 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Supporters

it's also worth questioning how come we don't include the gravitational pull of the moon, sun, other planets, etc, or how earths own gravitational acceleration isn't strictly constant into earthbound ballistic calculations.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Adolf Hamster said:

it's also worth questioning how come we don't include the gravitational pull of the moon, sun, other planets, etc, or how earths own gravitational acceleration isn't strictly constant into earthbound ballistic calculations.

You clearly haven't watched the Mark Wahlberg documentary "Shooter" where he takes all those into account, and also temperature, humidity, air pressure, and the Coriolis effect, does the sums in his brain, and then goes "Click-click BOOM".  100% FACT.

• Supporters
4 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

You clearly haven't watched the Mark Wahlberg documentary "Shooter" where he takes all those into account, and also temperature, humidity, air pressure, and the Coriolis effect, does the sums in his brain, and then goes "Click-click BOOM".  100% FACT.

no but i can shoot imram zakhaev before the wind dies down in cod4, basically the same thing.

although evidently i'm not that good because i keep hitting his arm even though i'd swear the bullet hit his head

On 22/11/2021 at 08:12, rocketdogbert said:

NO.

Those flecks of paint are not travelling at the speed of bullets, a fact that seems to be lost on you.

Low orbit satellites (inc ISS) travel at 17000 mph, geosynchronous satellite at 7000mph.

The “pull of gravity” as you put it (side note, gravity is not a force, it doesn’t pull anything, see A.Einstein et al) always affects anything, whatever speed it’s travelling at, there is no “unless”🤣.

You're not doing yourself or your point any favours getting basic science wrong, no wonder nobody is listening to you pontificate about ballistics 🤦🏻‍♂️

Gravity, there is big debate on what it actually is even now in the scientific world.

Something as big as the moon does effect the earth, the earth has a barrycenter much like the sun has from the gravitational effects of Jupiter. 

On the earth this translates to the tides that we see.

Again my point that ballistics works no matter where you try it.

In space, there is no resistance to an object that has energy imparted on it.  So something travelling at 5 km/s is going to do a lot of damage or pass right through something.

I am not getting my science wrong, there is nothing wrong with it, the issue is that people are picking fault where non exists and over complicating things based on what alternate examples I can provide so that finally the penny drops.

As for the science, people's eyes generally glaze over, not my problem if people can't see the relationship.

Tell me, how many feet per second would a projectile be travelling on exit of the muzzle if you only input 1 Joule of energy and your mass was 0.00002g ? would be the same as a fleck of paint and travel at nearly 22,000mph like here https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3587882/What-happens-tiny-fleck-paint-hits-space-station-Tim-Peake-reveals-crack-ISS-window-debris-collides-craft.html which was suggested to me when I searched fleck of paint mass to try and ball park some figures for this. 

And Einstein, as brilliant he was, some of his theories are now being challenged at the time and now as our understanding of the universe expands.

As for my ballistics input, I am using the very same equations that are used in airsoft as in airgun as in live round as in launching a big eff off rocket in to space... If you think that rockets has nothing to do with ballistics, that s the same as denying that rocket grenade launchers AKA RPG's  don't exist.

Try adding something useful like a source of information for me to consider rather than an opinion. 

https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calculators/physics/kinetic.php?given_data=velocity&KE=1&KE_units=joule&m=0.00002&m_units=gram&v_units=foot+per+second&sf=0&given_data_last=velocity&action=solve

1 Joule of energy

tiny mass... How many fps?

On 29/11/2021 at 19:01, AirSniper said:

In space, there is no resistance to an object that has energy imparted on it.  So something travelling at 5 km/s is going to do a lot of damage or pass right through something.

There is so much wrong with this paragraph I’m not even going to start.

You don’t know basic physics, but dangerously, you think you do.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.