Changing Two Tone Colour to Black

AdamH0808

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I have done some small research into this topic and contacted my local police who are not even sure themselves of the law behind this.

So can someone please let me YES or NO that having a two tone pistol (for example) with a blue slide and changing that slide with a black slide is allowed or not allowed without a UKARA.

Thank you

14 minutes ago, furylemon97 said:

From my knowledge you can own a RIF without a UKARA the UKARA is only if you are buying a RIF from a retailer. Pretty new to airsoft so would be better to get confirmation from a more experienced member. But from what i know its legal to own RIFs without a UKARA

Yes i have heard the same thing, even from a airsoft shop owner.

He says you could buy X TWO TONE weapon and change parts on it however you see fit

Edited by AdamH0808

Doing that makes you guilty of manufacturing an realistic imitation firearm.  Though airsofters have a defence so is fine to do as long as you can provide evidence it's for skirmishing.

Edited by hitmanNo2

7 minutes ago, hitmanNo2 said:

Doing that makes you guilty of manufacturing an imitation firearm.  Though airsofters have a defence so is fine to do as long as you can provide evidence it's for skirmishing.

So that makes it not legal to own a RIF?

A defence isn't a license that is needed to own a RIF rather its a verification in a database allowing you to purchase a RIF online/personal ONLY

Correct me if im wrong please

You can own a RIF without UKARA if someone gives it to you as a gift.

Changing an IF to a RIF by painting it black or changing parts is technically illegal but if used properly for airsoft no one will care.

But if its ever spotted by the public and police are called, you'll have some tough explaining to do...

Edited by EDcase

1 minute ago, EDcase said:

Changing an IF to a RIF by painting it black is technically illegal but if used properly for airsoft no one will care.

What I'm trying to find a answer for is not about paining of any sort but changing a part on a two tone weapon to a military colour such as black

1 minute ago, AdamH0808 said:

What I'm trying to find a answer for is not about paining of any sort but changing a part on a two tone weapon to a military colour such as black

Same thing. Changing an IF to a RIF.

Edited by EDcase

Guest DrAlexanderTobacco
2 hours ago, AdamH0808 said:

I have done some small research into this topic and contacted my local police who are not even sure themselves of the law behind this.

So can someone please let me YES or NO that having a two tone pistol (for example) with a blue slide and changing that slide with a black slide is allowed or not allowed without a UKARA.

Thank you

tl;dr YES

longer answer: It's technically an offense to manufacture, or sell, a Realistic Imitation Firearm. However, airsofters have a defense - you need to prove you're taking it to a skirmish.

So with that in mind, so long as you're going to skirmishes and it's not just a wall hanger or back garden plinker, pls feel free to crack on 👍

4 minutes ago, DrAlexanderTobacco said:

tl;dr YES

longer answer: It's technically an offense to manufacture, or sell, a Realistic Imitation Firearm. However, airsofters have a defense - you need to prove you're taking it to a skirmish.

So with that in mind, so long as you're going to skirmishes and it's not just a wall hanger or back garden plinker, pls feel free to crack on 👍

Thank you,

Just watched this video and just like you said.

Not illegal to own a RIF but you need a good reason to own one if you dont have the defence

Edited by AdamH0808

Guest DrAlexanderTobacco
1 minute ago, AdamH0808 said:

Thank you,

Just watched this video and just like you said.

Not illegal to own a RIF but you need a good reason to own one if you dont have the defence

Not quite correct; sellers need a good reason to SELL you one. It's not an offense to possess one, or even purchase one.

Either way - have fun! Post pics once you're done.

• Supporters

2 hours ago, heroshark said:

This is going to get fun. Popcorn ready🍿.

Let's do this shit - Walter Sobchak with gun | Meme Generator

2 hours ago, furylemon97 said:

From my knowledge you can own a RIF without a UKARA the UKARA is only if you are buying a RIF from a retailer.

Well, sort of. Yes, ownership is fine, no offence, no defence needed.  UKARA is a scheme paid for by retailers, for their benefit.  But it covers the offence committed by the retailer.  That applies to any seller, retail or otherwise.

2 hours ago, AdamH0808 said:

Yes i have heard the same thing, even from a airsoft shop owner.

He says you could buy X TWO TONE weapon and change parts on it however you see fit

Everything I've come to expect from airsoft retailers.  Incorrect.  At the point where you modify in imitation firearm so that it becomes a realistic imitation firearm, you are literally Hitler.  See VCRA 2006 S36 (1) (b).

1 hour ago, hitmanNo2 said:

Doing that makes you guilty of manufacturing an realistic imitation firearm. 

Modifying.

1 hour ago, EDcase said:

You can own a RIF without any defence at all.  If you are over 18, you can obtain it in any way you like, from anyone, without any sort of defence, because you are not committing any offence.

1 hour ago, EDcase said:

Changing an IF to a RIF by painting it black or changing parts is technically illegal but if used properly for airsoft no one will care.

The practical answer.

1 hour ago, EDcase said:

But if its ever spotted by the public and police are called, you'll have some tough explaining to do...

Pffft. I doubt you could find a copper who would know or care about the specific offence of modification, or think to ask the questions that would get you to incriminate yourself.  Evidence: this thread.

1 hour ago, AdamH0808 said:

The method doesn't matter, just the act of modification itself.

1 hour ago, DrAlexanderTobacco said:

longer answer: It's technically an offense[sic] to manufacture, or sell, a Realistic Imitation Firearm.

MODIFY!

Anyway, tl;dr version, just do it.  The fact that you've contacted the local coppers demonstrates that you're a very responsible person, and so it will never in practice be an issue. And also that the police have no idea that an offence is even (technically) being committed, and so it will never in practice be an issue.

The relevant part of the legislation is section 36.1.b of the VCRA 

36Manufacture, import and sale of realistic imitation firearms

(1)A person is guilty of an offence if—

(a)he manufactures a realistic imitation firearm;

(b)he modifies an imitation firearm so that it becomes a realistic imitation firearm;

(c)he sells a realistic imitation firearm; or

(d)he brings a realistic imitation firearm into Great Britain or causes one to be brought into Great Britain.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/38/section/36

The offence is committed as soon as you change the parts.

But the ‘defences’ under section 37 apply to the section 36 offences.

If you purchase a RIF without one of the defences applying then the retailer commits the offence (sale)

If you import, manufacture or modify then you commit the offence 

It should be noted that there is no airsoft defence in the legislation. That comes under a statutory instrument as an additional defence, and it doesn’t actually require UKARA membership / registration. Your intent must be to use the RIF for ‘airsoft skirmishing’ at an insured site.

Dont be a dickhead with it, be sensible and no one will know or care how you ended up with a RIF

On one hand you do commit an offence by modifying a two-tone.

You can own a RIF without a UKARA, you just need a defence with ID or proof of that activity like they are police, military or are reenactment players or acting (TV and Film).

Police do treat all air guns, including BB Guns and Airsoft as firearms and all fall under the regulations on firearms.

Also, if you are stupid enough to had a RIF in public, you are likely to be facing an ARV and have a pound of lead pointing at your vitals from all angles and really risk being soul raped if you are total dick and do not comply.

Seen a police TV show which was filming locally and in one incident a call in the police had the ARV turn up to a park not 100 meters from me, a group of kids had a BB gun, the kids were young and literally crapped themselves. Its on that Channel 4 or 5 show.

https://www.my5.tv/police-interceptors/season-18/episode-14

From 7 minutes in.

They treat the people with RIF's and blank firing same.

Breathes in .... 

Probably illegal - But no one cares. 

Most things we do to our toy guys break a law in some way - But no one cares.

Do what you want with your toy gun, just don't do it in front of a cop or social media - No one will care.

Don't be a cunt with it - We will care and doomy doomy doom will find you! 

5 hours ago, AirSniper said:

…..

Police do treat all air guns, including BB Guns and Airsoft as firearms and all fall under the regulations on firearms.

….
They treat the people with RIF's and blank firing same.

To be pedantic - UK compliant airsoft guns no longer fall within the firearms act.

Airguns, low power air weapons, and paintball guns are all firearms under the act, with different elements of the act applying depending on specifics.

F28157AException for airsoft guns

(1)An “airsoft gun” is not to be regarded as a firearm for the purposes of this Act.

(2)An “airsoft gun” is a barrelled weapon of any description which—

(a)is designed to discharge only a small plastic missile (whether or not it is also capable of discharging any other kind of missile), and

(b)is not capable of discharging a missile (of any kind) with kinetic energy at the muzzle of the weapon that exceeds the permitted level.

(3)Small plastic missile” means a missile that—

(a)is made wholly or partly from plastics,

(b)is spherical, and

(c)does not exceed 8 millimetres in diameter.

(4)The permitted kinetic energy level is—

(a)in the case of a weapon which is capable of discharging two or more missiles successively without repeated pressure on the trigger, 1.3 joules;

(b)in any other case, 2.5 joules.]

In practice the response will be the same until the details are established

A very different outcome took place in 1999

Harry Stanley was shot dead by police following reports by the public for possession a table leg in a carrier bag and an accent.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Harry_Stanley

This can parallel with the VCRA definition that a RIF is a RIF if anyone thinks it is unless it is too small, clear or >50% designated bright colours.

A table leg in a carrier bag looked like a sawn off shotgun, and when accompanied by a scottish accent was reported as suspected IRA at the time of mainland UK bombing campaigns 

• Supporters
4 hours ago, Tommikka said:

To be pedantic - UK compliant airsoft guns no longer fall within the firearms act.

Except for Section 19, possession in public, which applies to all imitations, realistic or otherwise, and all air weapons too, in the event that the State can test your toy at over 1.3J / 2.5J.

It does my head in every time I read that, as it's always an offence to have any imitation, or any air weapon, in public, but only an offence to have a loaded shotgun, or any other firearm with ammunition.

The trouble is that any rationalisation of the utter mess that is firearms legislation would likely not be to our benefit.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.