An Overweight/Obese person in Essex (Billericay) looking to start Airsoft

Eyeanman

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey All,

Been looking at starting a hobby which would make me a little more active than I currently am and Airsoft peaked my interest!

Currently sitting at 275lb (and only 5"10) - I'm somewhat overweight! I used to have fairly good stamina for a fat-un, playing Badminton fairly often, where I would get out of breath but would able to keep up with the session/other much fitter plays! But this was pre-lockdown and now my stamina has bottomed out and don't last as long as I used to, though I hope this fixes itself fairly quickly once I start getting active again.

I'm fairly shy and take some time to get comfortable in the environment I'm in when its unknown to me (unless there is beer involved... then im alright!). My main reservations are meeting/making friends with the locals and the impact im gonna have on others due to my lack of fitness.

I've been reading/watching alot about Airsoft and do want to take that leap to give it a go, but would make it a whole lot easier if it was with a few people who are already into the hobby and would have the patience/banter to support me.

So if anyone has any tips/tricks or fancies introducing me to Airsoft locally that would be awesome :)

Thanks

He dude. Welcome to a world of fun. I’m no where near you, but would say, get yourself along to a site near you and I guarantee you will wish you had done so sooner. I guarantee it. Most airsofters are welcoming and inclusive, irrespective of your personal perception of yourself. 
just go. You will not regret it. 
good times mate. 

1. You’re going to love it

2. you’re going to really love

3. you’re going to spend a lot of money

4. Look up Tower Mini’s on Facebook, a buddy of mine runs it. It’s a great intro, and cheap. 
Every second Tuesday evening in Billericay, and in a couple of weeks, every Tuesday evening.

It’s a series of short (between 10-30minute games with mini-objectives) so plenty of time to a make friends/rest/sit out games.

In the next few weeks they‘ll be setting up Practical Shooting nights, which is essentially dynamic target shooting against the clock, pistols/rifles/shotguns, electronic targets.

Theyre are superb way the learn fast weapon handling, transitions between weapons etc etc AND lots of rest (good for me, and maybe you).

https://www.facebook.com/aptowerairsoft/

rdb

Hi fella and welcome to the big boys playground.👋

As already said you will love it  and airsofters are generally a very friendly bunch willing and eager to impart their knowledge and expertise for free. 

Nobody will care about how you look,what kit you have or your ability to run a 100yd dash in 10 seconds or take out a whole team before lunch. 

Get yourself out there and you will soon overcome any shyness and nerves 🙂

Take things at a pace that you find comfortable and after a while I'm sure your fitness levels will improve.

I'm no spring chicken and not gonna break any records for agility (I could,however,break hundreds if i sat on them lol) but I pay my money and that means I play as I want to and that way I get more enjoyment without any pressure.

Play and have fun👍🙂

Regards 

Ps.I like a beer as well 😜

Best of luck pal, I am certain you'll have fun on your first day playing airsoft! 

I remember my first time heading to the skirmish site (wasn't this long ago), went all by myself all anxious and not quite knowing what to expect only to find out just how friendly and approachable my local community is! I have also made 2 friends pretty much on the spot by having a spontaneous chat prior to the game starting, ended up playing along both all day and only to join them for basically every game ever since. 

Plus skirmishes are indeed a great way of maintaining a decent level of physical activity - in my case giving me a dopamine kick after a week of home based work behind my desk 🙂 

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Eyeanman said:

I'm fairly shy and take some time to get comfortable in the environment I'm in when its unknown to me

This is pretty common, but it's a very welcoming environment.  We had a thread on this a while back with a really great post covering what to expect in some detail, which can help with social anxiety.

So many hugs in that thread.

Your fitness / fatness level is neither here nor there.  If you can walk, you can play.  Heck, folk play in wheelchairs.

What I would note is that a couple of hours of actual action every fortnight isn't really going to do much for your health, but it will give you something to train for if you're that way inclined.

Hi @Eyeanman 👋

Welcome to the forum, full of advice and like minded players! 🔫🤪👍

Good luck starting in your new hobby, find a site, rent and watch your bank balance! 🤞👍

Have a channel with some advice for beginners, if interested and have a page on here in the Media section? 🤔

💷GAMBLE💷

Welcome to the forum and to a hobby that will occupy a lot of your thoughts and loads of your bank balance.

As others have said, airsofters are generally a very welcoming and friendly bunch. Everyone has been the noob at some point, and even now going to a new site can bring back that same feeling. The main thing to remember is that everyone there has a common interest, so you've got a natural start point to strike up a conversation. Airsofters also love showing off their gear and most will happily pass on their experiences, tips and advice to make sure you enjoy your day and want to come back.

As for fitness/experience, don't worry about it. Play your own game until you're comfortable and confident enough to step things up. Additional cardio exercises will help as you progress, and, because there's a lot of crouching and ducking behind objects, get some stretches and leg exercises in. Yoga is awesome for easing the effects of Elvis leg the day after a game, especially for those of us built more for comfort than for speed.  

Above all, have fun. Keep jumping into the forum as there is loads of helpful advice here, and don't be afraid to ask questions. 

Welcome to the forum and airsoft, you will love it, it's great fun and a chance to met some really nice people.

We just played at Skirmish Billiericay site for the first time this weekend and it's a great site with a good mix of game types and is well marshalled. They also have a great selection of kit and accessories onsite to hire or buy so you shouldn't need to worry about gear for your first game, other than a some decent foot ware with ankle supp if possible?

On the whole once the games get going everyone is really friendly and up for in game banter and laughs without taking it all too seriously.

Welcome to the forum buddy.

12 hours ago, Shamal said:

Hi fella and welcome to the big boys playground.👋

As already said you will love it  and airsofters are generally a very friendly bunch willing and eager to impart their knowledge and expertise for free. 

Nobody will care about how you look,what kit you have or your ability to run a 100yd dash in 10 seconds or take out a whole team before lunch. 

Get yourself out there and you will soon overcome any shyness and nerves 🙂

Take things at a pace that you find comfortable and after a while I'm sure your fitness levels will improve.

I'm no spring chicken and not gonna break any records for agility (I could,however,break hundreds if i sat on them lol) but I pay my money and that means I play as I want to and that way I get more enjoyment without any pressure.

Play and have fun👍🙂

Regards 

Ps.I like a beer as well 😜

Couldn't agree more with this, get yourself along and you'll be pissed you didnt do it sooner!

No one is going to care if you are husky at an Airsoft game. Yes, you might get a few comments, but that's going to be the same in pretty much any situation you will find yourself in. Nothing can be done about that and needs to be risen above.

As long as you get stuck in and take your hits, you will find new friends. 

Simple as that really. 

Side note, most of us are rocking dad bods anyway. We aren't all chizzled action heroes

Edited by Groot
My spelling was fucking horrific

3 hours ago, BigStew said:

go at your own pace. go light weight with gear and make sure you have good boots with ankle support. 

Or go the other route. 

Go heavy, loaded plate carrier, belt line, helmet, back pack etc. Rock a support gun with extra ammo.

Under your winter BDU's, wrap your entire body in clingfilm and really sweat out those calories. 

we are here to pump you up - Hans and Franzs | Meme Generator

Thank you all for the messages of support! Will make sure to go out and get some decent Boots, Face Protection and maybe some camo stuff, just gotta resist the urge to jump in and get a two-tone before even trying it out!

Ive got a old spring loaded Air Rifle that fires lead pellets... but pretty sure I'd get banned (and arrested...) if I were to bring that!

26 minutes ago, Eyeanman said:

Ive got a old spring loaded Air Rifle that fires lead pellets... but pretty sure I'd get banned (and arrested...) if I were to bring that!

Haha yeah not a good move. Besides probably would fail chrono. Lol.

I've got a bsa goldstar .22 ten shot springer. Heavy old thing but accurate as fuck.

Regards 

• Supporters

Reasonable enough choices - I mean for a daft hobby where we play with toy guns. ;)

You might find that you can fog up any eye protection, plenty of us more padded gentlemen have that issue.  You can try dual pane / "thermal lenses", various anti-fog potions (I like Revision wipes), or fan solutions, either DIY or Ex-Fog.  Worst case, mesh is available, and we love HeroShark custom mesh goggles.

See how you get on first though, just be aware that even with the magic of hop ups and heavy ammo, airsoft guns aren't as accurate or consistent as air guns.  Mind you, if they were then nobody would ever emerge from cover.

On 25/10/2021 at 20:19, rocketdogbert said:

1. You’re going to love it

2. you’re going to really love

3. you’re going to spend a lot of money

4. Look up Tower Mini’s on Facebook, a buddy of mine runs it. It’s a great intro, and cheap. 
Every second Tuesday evening in Billericay, and in a couple of weeks, every Tuesday evening.

It’s a series of short (between 10-30minute games with mini-objectives) so plenty of time to a make friends/rest/sit out games.

In the next few weeks they‘ll be setting up Practical Shooting nights, which is essentially dynamic target shooting against the clock, pistols/rifles/shotguns, electronic targets.

Theyre are superb way the learn fast weapon handling, transitions between weapons etc etc AND lots of rest (good for me, and maybe you).

https://www.facebook.com/aptowerairsoft/

rdb

This.

I started at a practical pistol night with my son and it was great, lots of help and advice on hand and a good bunch of people. 

I shall be keeping an eye out for Tower's Practical Shooting nights.

Ohay and welcome.

Since you're already in Billericay, it'll make things easier for you, as there are two good sites there.

Someone further above mentioned "Tower Minis", which is a fortnightly Tuesday evening game at "The Tower". This site is run by the folks from "Airsoft Plantation", which is another site pretty much just around the corner. AP runs Sundays, while TT runs Saturdays and the aforementioned Minis every two weeks Tuesdays, so plenty of chances to get out and about locally to you :)

7 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Which is the one that featured a picture of a player not wearing any eye protection?

I believe that was Skirmish Airsoft Billericay, a site that I don't mention out of principle to begin with

14 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Which is the one that featured a picture of a player not wearing any eye protection?

Pffft.. Stop being such a normie.. Eye pro is for squares!

Dear Media, your portrayal of blind people is wrong - RNIB - See differently

7 hours ago, rsciw said:

I believe that was Skirmish Airsoft Billericay, a site that I don't mention out of principle to begin with

Well that's disappointing :( especially when its walking distance from my house. not that I would walk there... lol

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.