help with lipos

furylemon97

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello came home after my airsoft session this week and threw my kit in the garage didn't think about where i was putting it as was tired from the day i came back today and the log burner is on full blast and my lipos were sat right near the log burner when i moved them away the lipo battery's themselves were quite hot to touch i was wondering what if any damage this could of done to them? they don't look like they have swollen or changed shape at all. will these be fine to use or should i look into replacing them? 

Hello, As stated, if they are not swollen they should be fine. I have no experience with airsoft/LiPo but do have experience with FPV drones which also use large capacity 6s LiPo so the care is the same. You may have lost a little performance/lifespan but should still be fine. If you have a balance charger that can storage charge them and tell you the internal resistance then put them to storage charge and check none of the cells have a crazy high resistance. If not then no damage has been done.

I would highly recommend a decent LiPo bag that can withstand and enclose a LiPo fire. Not sure what airsoft marketed ones are out there but in the drone world Torvol make an extremely good LiPo bag which can mostly contain a fire inside with 15x large 6s batteries.

https://www.unmannedtechshop.co.uk/product/torvol-lipo-safe-pouch-stealth-edition/?msclkid=904ade6809f213220991bf1e9d082c4a

It could save your life one day. I personally would not trust any cheap unbranded LiPo bag. Never let your guard down with a LiPo they are probably the single most dangerous thing you own if not treated carefully.

Apologies if you knew all this already... I just know when I got into FPV drones that this info was expressed very strongly to newcomers who didn't have experience with LiPo.

Edited by Khyber

For the sake of 20 squid it's a small investment for a greatly improved safety measure. Obviously it's not 100% guaranteed safe but much better than the cheapo bags, and by a reputable company with R&D money to put out a good product.

Now on the other hand it's not all that common for LiPo to fail but if damaged then that risk is greatly increased and for me I'd rather reduce the risks as much as possible. Them bags are great to charge the batteries in too as this is when the risk is much higher if you try to charge a damaged battery which appeared in good condition. Also using balance boards to charge multiple batteries... this is the biggest reason people end up with LiPo fires as they don't understand how to balance charge multiple batteries.

Like I said the risk is generally quite small but you don't also want to ignore that small risk as it could happen to anyone. Remember... never leave it unattended when charging ;) have fun.

Edited by Khyber

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.