Blank Firing Gun Kills

AirSniper

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Samurai said:

the next day youtube would be full of videos of "REAL STEEL GUN SHOT MADE MY EAR BLEED".

Well....

I am developing very mild tinnitus, and it's not from work or concerts.

It's either from motorcycling air noise or from airsoft pyro.

I almost always wear (and have almost always worn) earplugs when setting out to ride at over 40mph. Still, it could be that.

Or it could be pyro. I don't wear ear protection in airsoft, but I'm coming round to think that I should.

Personally I think that a .209 primer or Mk3 is sufficient indoors. If folk don't hear and take those, they're unlikely to take a 9mm or Mk5 either.  That's earball overkill.

And 9mm or Mk5 is all you need outdoors.

Even then, a 130dB-at-1-inch Mk5 going off right by your ear outdoors will do just as much irreversible damage as if it goes off indoors.

I will now tune back in to my scheduled "eeeeeeeeee" sound.

Lots of blank firers used at games likes MSW in the US.  Always used responsibly from the footage I've seen.  They're treated as a LARP element with a significant MED.  I think they add massively to the vibe and would be fine with them.

Personally I don't think BFGs or pyro should be louder than a 209 primer.  Definitely not indoors.

There's no need to go louder than that as everyone in the 'kill' zone will definitely hear it.

Blank firing guns at airsoft events may add to immersion for milsim games but not necessary for general game days.  I think UK has more noise restrictions than the US sites.

I'm sure there would be resident complaints if sites had constant semi and auto blank fire.

3 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Well....

I am developing very mild tinnitus, and it's not from work or concerts.

It's either from motorcycling air noise or from airsoft pyro.

I almost always wear (and have almost always worn) earplugs when setting out to ride at over 40mph. Still, it could be that.

Or it could be pyro. I don't wear ear protection in airsoft, but I'm coming round to think that I should.

Personally I think that a .209 primer or Mk3 is sufficient indoors. If folk don't hear and take those, they're unlikely to take a 9mm or Mk5 either.  That's earball overkill.

And 9mm or Mk5 is all you need outdoors.

Even then, a 130dB-at-1-inch Mk5 going off right by your ear outdoors will do just as much irreversible damage as if it goes off indoors.

I will now tune back in to my scheduled "eeeeeeeeee" sound.

I used to dance up amongst the speakers, I was there for the peak of walkmans and preferred in ear headphones, I’m fond of blowing things up 

Im not deaf, but my hearing is very selective 

• Supporters
3 hours ago, hitmanNo2 said:

Always used responsibly from the footage I've seen. 

They will be, until they're not.  Given that the purpose is to create a dakka-dakka-dakka noise, is there any argument for doing that using devices that can and have killed people, when you could achieve the same result with an mp3 player and a speaker?

If the critical immersion element is that they're creating muzzle flashes out of an open barrel, they can get sodded right off, because that's the bit that kills you when a pebble, shell sliver, wadding, or rogue live round joins the game.

For context, I was at an English Civil War reenactment when a small smoothbore black powder cannon cooked off while being rammed.  Poor show on the sponging, but the rammer was lucky/smart enough to be using good technique to "throw" the ramrod down it without gripping it tightly, which is why he didn't lose his hand entirely.  However, the wad of grass that he was stuffing it with came out fast enough to turn his hand into cooked hamburger.

Clear barrel "blank" firers are bloody dangerous, and I have no desire to be anywhere near them.

• 2 years later...
  • Supporters
3 hours ago, Eugene59 said:

Are blank gun collections allowed to be displayed here?

Forward venting ones?

This is an airsoft site. Why would you want to show us anything other than airsoft guns?

4 hours ago, Eugene59 said:

Forward venting ones?

Depends on what you mean by “displayed here”

This is an airsoft forum.  Blank firing guns are not relevant.

No matter what form of venting 

If you however are referring to physically ‘displaying’ blank firers in a location in the UK (eg mounting them on a wall display) then UK LEGALLY COMPLIANT blank firers are legal to possess, without legal controls other than common sense (they do not need to be stored in gun cabinets etc) But should not be accessible to minors or in sight from inappropriate locations - hung up on the wall near a window could result in police at the door to investigate 

Most importantly, forward venting blank firers are not UK legal, and would be treated as a Section 5 firearm.  You would need a firearms licence, which is unlikely to be authorised for a blank firer, and would need to be stored in an approved gun cabinet 

• Supporters
5 hours ago, Eugene59 said:

Forward venting ones?

Welcome, the likely answer is no, it's a dedicated Airsoft forum & while privately many of us have interests in most associated kit, displaying such stuff, especially section 5 kit, may bring unwanted attention on the forum, as well as Airsoft on the whole, from the "authorities", some of whom may dislike all gun hobbies, especially in an election year😏

6 hours ago, Eugene59 said:

Forward venting ones?

If you're in the the UK then either get rid of it or never show it to anyone as its illegal.

If the vent is not straight through from the breech then its a film prop and can ONLY be owned with a Film/TV Armorer certificate.

If the vent is straight from the breech like a normal barrel then its totally illegal and would be treated as a section 5 firearm so VERY bad to own.

Edited by EDcase