TM G18C >> WE G18C in cold weather?

Lollingsgrad

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So my WE G18C is great but it's not cycling brilliantly even in moderately low temps (~10C) and using black gas only really helps down to about 5-7C. I'm frequently assured TMs are magic and work in low temps but I'm skeptical. I love the G18C and want to continue using one as my side arm; will going TM really help me keep cycling as temperatures drop?

Bonus question, I'm sure at least some of the low temp cycling is down to that plastic slide. I use an RMR on my G18C; if I add that to the slide is the extra weight going to kill the cycle?

TM will cycle better than a WE at pretty much any temperature, but 5-6 degrees is not really GBB temperature full stop. They are not designed to operate at that sort of temp  any brand will suffer from cool down. If you need a light full auto back up at that sort of temp AEG MP5K is your best bet 

If you want better performance at lower temps, look at the G17 Gen4 as it features a revised piston and cylinder design to allow for more gas so better performance in colder weather.

Also the plastic slides on a TM allow them to cycle a bit better.

Additional weight on a slide will always kill cycle speed and in cold weather you'll be lucky to get it moving. You can always try to mitigate this with a lightweight BBU but I would just run without the RMR, at close range your aim couldn't be that bad surely?

5 minutes ago, Lollingsgrad said:

I won't lie I suck at irons and my pistol aim really is that bad the RMR has been a life saver 💩 Maybe I'll just accept that as soon as it gets to around 10C it's time to get out my AEP

If you want you WE to cycle better in cold temps, you’ll need to update  the springs to take into  account the weight of the RMR.

Even then, it won’t work well in the cold. 

If you buy a TM, you will again ruin its performance, but even more so, by adding a red dot.

if you uprate the springs to make it work it will be less efficient, and your stuck with it not working well in cold weather again.

You're trying to get something for nothing, which you can’t do

AEP? You are having a laugh, they are seriously shit in any weather, you might as well chuck it at the opposition 🤣🤣

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.