Weapon safety (or lack of ?)

Druid799

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

I found this little nugget of outstanding safe weapon handling in the pics from a local sites reopening gameday this little gem was nestled among all the other pics of the day . If you ever needed reason to NOT allow ‘Joe public’ real firearms ? well here ya go ! 🤦‍♂️
even though I don’t think he deserves it for such stupidity I’ve still covered his face to avoid the shame ! 

D0127724-9841-4E18-A54E-9CE8B85E9F4D.jpeg

• Supporters
38 minutes ago, Stratton Oakmont said:

Nah, people that do dumb stuff with pews will do it with real ones. That’s how the “accidents” happen. 

well that's me missing a finger then :P

There's basically like... a million pics online showing poor trigger discipline, both for real steel and airsoft shooting.

I see a LOT of poor weapons handling in airsoft though. Some of it can be put down to them being toy guns as at the end of the day we're massive nerds running around the woods shooting each other with toy guns. Milsim "special" operators are generally insufferable so I won't take their side on it when they're like "always treat it like a real firearm!". My gripe is poor weapons handling in the safe zone as that's when it can be dangerous and people can lose an eye. Treat it like a real firearm while you're not in game is my mentality (and "don't be a spanner" in general is good life advice)

Who knows what's going on in this photo though. He's wearing safety glasses and the mag isn't in. I can't tell if it's an AEG or GBBR but if it's an AEG then maybe he's confident the chamber has been cleared or maybe there's not even a battery in it. Worst case scenario he pings himself in the face with a BB. Obviously if it's a GBBR, it wouldn't even fire without the mag.

15 minutes ago, Albiscuit said:

I have cleaned my barrel plenty of times at a site and had a peek down the end 🤷🏻‍♂️

But you made sure it was clear first … right? 😉

When I was a nipper I had a .177 gat gun which I used to load by putting barrel on floor and leaning on it with my impressive 4 stone wet weight because I was to weak to do it any other way.

Anyway during a bored, idle period of thinking what to shoot,I put barrel in mouth to aid thought process as one does while caressing trigger.

You have to understand,at this point, that I was only seven or eight so not too wise to the world of consequences.

Anywhoo caressing finger carresed harder and Wallop!!

My god I saw stars and my head shot back to the point of nearly breaking my neck. I choked,my eyes blurred and filled with the tears of fear cause I couldn't tell me mam because that would have earned me another wallop!

I'm so glad I hadn't loaded it though.

But I often think that's why I never became a homosexual.

Anything hard in my mouth makes me choke! Lol.

Lesson learned though and I soon healed lol

Regards   

14 minutes ago, Shamal said:

When I was a nipper I had a .177 gat gun which I used to load by putting barrel on floor and leaning on it with my impressive 4 stone wet weight because I was to weak to do it any other way.

OMG you're so lucky it wasn't loaded otherwise you probably wouldn't be around to tell the tale 😖

Airsoft is a great way to teach weapon safety to the young and ingrain the muscle memory for correct handling.

That is IF the parent teaches the youngun properly...

Edited by EDcase

2 minutes ago, EDcase said:

OMG you are so lucky it wasn't loaded otherwise you probably wouldn't be around to tell the tale 😖

Haha that's true. I used to use the darts in it as well. 🥴

My little nipper wants to play with my pistols, and while I taught him basics of safety it takes time to ingrain this in his mind. Kids have great imagination, but little understanding of consequences of their actions.

Right now, he can play with his nerf guns and we shoot the shit out of each other, but I always try to make sure he understands the rules of the game.

I think it may be good to demonstrate to them the “power” these Airsoft GBBs have compared to a nerf. This may (or may not) put a little respect in them towards firearms, imitation or not.

I always treat any gun, Airsoft or otherwise, as it was real, loaded and ready to go. You should see the face of my mate when I’ve cleared the weapon three times before handing it over to him. “It’s just a toy!”

Famous last words…

Yeah, thats a good point.

There are several stages of seriousness depending on the age of the 'trainee'

1. Nerf

2. Airsoft

3. Air-pistol/rifle

4. Rimfire

5. Centrefire

The earlier they start the less serious the consequences of messing up.

Of course the person teaching needs to have some basic knowledge to pass on or do their own research when they start alone.

Unfortunately there are many who have not been taught properly or not learned for themselves so accidents will happen.

In the case of actual weapons such as rimfire and centrefire the user would have to be part of a club or get some training before owning one.

Probably the most dangerous would be air weapons which can certainly kill and can be bought over the counter with no real restrictions.

Edited by EDcase

• Supporters

If we're talking looking down the barrel, I'd put "shotgun" right up there.  And curiously they remain shall-issue in the UK, a situation which surely can't last forever.

1 hour ago, Oneshotscott said:

As previously mentioned, this image from the potato computer archive doesn't show poor weapons handling or safety. 

He has eyepro on, mags out, battery is unknown.  He could of dropped it muzzle end in the dirt and is checking its clear.  His eyes not even in line with the barrel. 

Yeah, its bad handling but not the worst.

Edited by EDcase

Shall I just leave this here?

A329B1FE-84FF-4A7F-9BC7-4E8C3CFA9920.png.e1cb0775027ba5bd2682e6c82442d0ac.png

Just in a single picture we don’t know the full circumstances. In the original picture he is wearing eye protection, the magazine is out, he may or may not have fully inspected that everything is clear.

In this still should he be looking down the barrel?

What could go wrong ? *

There is however complacency, I hate it when airsoft guns are described as toys.

Toys are played with, but not everything that gets played with is a toy

They are not as dangerous as a firearm 

But a firearm is not as dangerous as a nuclear missile 

Whatever it is, treat it with the respect that it deserves 

* Presumably the soldiers have unloaded, checked etc prior to inspection and the officer visually and physically checks the breach.  So that’s fine 

He could still get a barrel smacked into his face or eye - that’s unlikely but I do know someone who ended up with a bright red SA80 barrel sized ring in the corner or their eye socket and a grumpy mood

In the video above you can see they open the bolt and hold it open with their thumb when the barrel is inspected.  That's as safe as you can get.

As far as airsoft goes, if the battery is out on an AEG or the magazine out of a GBB then its as safe as it can be.  The only danger is thinking its been made safe when it hasn't.

So its important to always check there is no battery or magazine.

Edited by EDcase

• Supporters
On 20/10/2021 at 20:00, Cr0-Magnon said:

Who knows what's going on in this photo though. He's wearing safety glasses and the mag isn't in. I can't tell if it's an AEG or GBBR but if it's an AEG then maybe he's confident the chamber has been cleared or maybe there's not even a battery in it. Worst case scenario he pings himself in the face with a BB. Obviously if it's a GBBR, it wouldn't even fire without the mag.

It was an AEG and he was on his way to chrono , so id say pretty fair bet the battery was in and connected ? 
Plus at that angle firing up it can get under and inside the glasses no trouble at all. 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.