Weather not looking great this weekend - wet weather gear?

RostokMcSpoons

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters
16 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

More concerning are my boots.  They've arrived.  They're great, but they're fairly tight (size 10/44.  I think I need 10.5/45).  And as they're 2005 vintage, I doubt they're going to stretch anymore.
Maybe a good lump of dubbin?

Dubbin isn't going to help. Like you say, if they're that old then the chances are that they've stretched as much as they're going to. If they've dried out then you'll want to treat them regardless but beyond wearing thinner socks and anticipating blisters I can't really suggest anything other than just sending them back.

Do not underestimate the importance of good footwear. Yes, surplus stuff is cheap but good stuff is pricey for a reason. I had a pair of slightly too tight boots that I wore for one day, two years ago and my big toe nail has only just recovered.

• Supporters

I feel compelled to point out that you can stretch leather slightly by soaking and heating it, but you need a form (wooden last or adjustable stretcher) and it's a last resort with boots that you really need to make fit so that the prince will marry you, it's not anything you'd want to attempt by choice.

• Supporters
45 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

you really need to make fit so that the prince will marry you

🤣

4 hours ago, Lozart said:

Yes, surplus stuff is cheap but good stuff is pricey for a reason

The older black boots I wouldn't touch for comfort. The newer brown boots are good boots, usually at 1/3 of the price new, but you have to go to a shop to make sure it's a pair in decent condition, or buy from somewhere with a generous returns policy . Online retails will send you whatever is the correct size with zero regard for quality. "grade 1" can be a pretty big range, and some boots with ruined soles end up in that bin because few really care to check. 

Edited by Badgerlicious

On 21/10/2021 at 17:24, RostokMcSpoons said:

More concerning are my boots.  They've arrived.  They're great, but they're fairly tight (size 10/44.  I think I need 10.5/45).  And as they're 2005 vintage, I doubt they're going to stretch anymore.
Maybe a good lump of dubbin?
So I'll almost certainly wear them for this weekend and then try to swap them for the next size up.    (I refuse to feel guilty about doing that as the shop advertised next day posting, and they actually took 5+ days to do it, so I've had no time to try them, send them back for another pair).

Milsurp boots are one of life's great bargains if you know what you are doing. 

I have odd sized feet, so need a half size and specific width.  This means either custom made boots at £300-£400, or off the peg Lowa's at £200+ when they do a run of width sized boots.  

Width sized milsurp boots as low as £30 are a God send.  They are also designed for some serious hard use and far better quality and design than most tacticool gear.  I've spent the last week or so clambering up some seriously high peaks, going well into the snow line, and sometimes in pretty grotty weather.  No problems from the old British assault boots and wool socks.  

Do you have a local surplus shop?  Trying before you buy is a good idea.   Once you know your exact size then using mail order is easy.  

My local surplus shop has turned into a generic family run DIY store now.  That lovely aisle of British army kit is now a line of paint tins and adhesives.

I don't suppose they sold enough of the surplus stuff to make any money. I've not been there for several years and even then I don't think I spent much, so I can't complain.

Mind you the paint was so overpriced I don't think they'll much of that either 😕

I've put the boots on and run around my garden for a few minutes.  The problem is width not length.  And that's apparent as  some pressure across the top of the feet. They're near enough the right size that I'll try them for the day.  But I'll have my trainers if I need to give up on that experiment early!

The boots are fine for the price of £40.  Not really grade A condition, as they're 2005 vintage, but new-ish soles with J masses of tread on them, and everything where it should be, leather still in good nick.

Edited by RostokMcSpoons
Stuff

• Supporters
16 hours ago, Badgerlicious said:

The older black boots I wouldn't touch for comfort.

8 hours ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

No problems from the old British assault boots

I understand that old old squaddie boots were awful, but the two pairs of black assault boots with GoreTex lining that I've bought in the past decade have been just fine.  Granted, "grade 1" is always a gamble but I've been lucky enough to get boots with almost unworn soles.

Kit review coming up...

But first, the weather.  I shall now review the weatherman.  He's a twat.  Not only did it not rain at all, it was in fact sunny. 

So glad I bought that poncho 😏

Anyway, the boots were good. Sure it was nice when I took them off, but they fitted ok.  I think they also saved me from a twisted ankle when I slipped on a tree root.

They are heavy though.  I bet a modern pair of part cordura boots would weigh 60% less.  I'm not going to swap though, need that waterproofing for the coming months...

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

• Supporters

Late contribution but I’m a mahoosive fan of the surplus MTP wet weather gear , you can wear the jacket on its own or under another jacket/shirt/smock it’s that lightweight and the trousers I bought have zips up the outside of the legs so are an absolute doddle to take on and off depending on weather conditions through out the day on site .👍

A problem I find with wet Wx gear is breathability. I sweat like a sumo wrestler even in the middle of winter and end up soaking wet under waterproofs which makes them kind of pointless 😅 one layer of clothing is all I can manage even when the temp is hovering around zero.

Quick-drying stuff works best in my case. Waterproofs just don't work for this sweaty sock.

I just wore my DPM S95 combat shirt and trousers that was quite warm enough thank you very much.  I know exactly what you mean about the sweat 😔😋

I might buy a pair of MTP trousers and base layer long sleeve base layer, and then a combat smock for when the temperature actually drops... Finding Molle kit to go with my current camo is quite hard.  

Edited by RostokMcSpoons
Clarity

30 minutes ago, Ebeneezer Goode said:

Wouldn't worry about finding DPM MOLLE kit, there's plenty of plain OD stuff to be had.

Yeah, that's true.  

I saw some pics of me in my bargain-bin mix'n'match kit on Sunday.  I've got a black viper skeleton harness + belt which at the moment only has a few magazine pouches on my left side. 

It's noticeable how much the solid black spoils the camo effect though, so I'd rather go with camo than not, if possible.

(I'm sure OD or ranger green would be better than black though)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.