Weather not looking great this weekend - wet weather gear?

RostokMcSpoons

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'll be playing at the lightly-wooded SpecialOps site on Sunday, and the weather forecast is for lots of heavy showers.

Amazingly this looks like it'll be my first Airsoft event in that there 'inclement weather', I've normally been more worried about getting soaked with sweat rather than rain!

I've had a quick look through the forum and I can see the typical recommendation is either some pricey Goretex (and people who've put up with my webbing questions know I'm skint / skinflint / idiot who is hoarding his money for guns rather than 'extras'... so my question is:

I'm intending on wearing my S95 DPM Jacket.  I was just going to wear a long sleeve cotton t-shirt underneath to act as a wicking layer too.

• Will the jacket be sufficiently warm / waterproof to keep me going?  I have washed it once with fabric conditioner, which I guess you're not supposed to do as it'll harm the water resistance?

• Should I go buy a poncho or cagoule from  eBay / Amazon / GoOutdoors?

• Is a t-shirt good enough as a base layer?  (I'm not really up with this athletic 'base layer technology' stuff)

• And I've got some non-waterproof Delta Force gloves - do they need an upgrade too?  

Any thoughts much appreciated :)

So depending on how heavy the rain is, the S95 jacket will keep you dry to a degree but I’d say they’re more weather- than water-proof. 

I imagine that if you’re running about then you’ll be warm enough with just the base layer under. 

If it’s gonna be heavy rain and you’ll have periods of not moving about much then it’ll probably be worth picking up a cheap cagoule in a ‘tactical’ colour 😉

• Supporters
21 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Will the jacket be sufficiently warm / waterproof to keep me going?  I have washed it once with fabric conditioner, which I guess you're not supposed to do as it'll harm the water resistance?

depends, tbh jacket alone isn't going to help much if your boots/trousers are getting soaked every time you walk through a hedge/long grass/kneel down

22 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Should I go buy a poncho or cagoule from  eBay / Amazon / GoOutdoors?

up to you, depends how much you hate getting damp. 

22 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Is a t-shirt good enough as a base layer?  (I'm not really up with this athletic 'base layer technology' stuff)

t shirt will be fine, soldiers were fighting in the rain long before "wicking" was something people paid attention to, good idea to pack a fleece or other such extra layer(s) to add if you get too cold.

24 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

And I've got some non-waterproof Delta Force gloves - do they need an upgrade too?  

every rainy game i've played with fingerless gloves and just accepted they're getting damp, depends on your own personal tolerance for cold/wet hands. i'd be much more concerned about waterproofness of boots. personally i find if i keep my core warm then my hands stay warm, however if you have issues with circulation in extremities etc then you'll need to put more effort into it.

other things worth noting-

plan to be soaked through by the end of the day, a car with a decent heater is going to be a godsend when your cold/wet on the drive home, likewise rubber mats/plastic bags to protect your interior from soaked gear on the drive home if you care about such things.

the above said, don't leave your kit bagged up damp after the game day, get it out to air/dry/get washed as soon as you get home.

optics can be annoying in the wet, blurring red dots (especially open type), you may wish to consider just running irons, or at least bring any tools required to pull any optics you have mid-day if needed.

as with optics, eyepro gets super annoying in the wet, a hat with a peak to keep the worst of the rain off the exterior helps a lot. otherwise expect fogging to be exponentially worse than a dry day.

often there's a balance to be struck between preventing yourself getting wet in the first place, or having yourself able to dry out quickly when the weather clears, it depends on the weather if your getting showers or constant rain.

you'll find your own way, either taking care to keep yourself dry avoiding areas of undergrowth that'd get you soaked and seeking shelter at every opportunity, or just running around as normal happy as larry and not worrying about getting soaked to the skin, either path is good- remember you're playing to have fun, if you're not having fun (because of inclement weather) then it's totally fine to just go home and watch tv by the fire.

• Supporters

Issue CS95 smocks (presume that's what you mean) will stave off but the lightest of showers, they just get soaked in short order and being bulky things made of thick fabric they soak up a lot of water; take about a day to dry once hung up in a warm house.  Cotton is not wicking, it is the opposite, it holds water for a comparatively very long time and is especially cold when wet compared to wool or synthetics.

Being soaked is fine if it's warm enough and/or you run around enough.  Being soaked through will ruin you in cool enough weather if you're not pretty consistently on the move.  This is all real real basic stuff.

Personally I really like the current issue polyester tshirts they dry lightning fast.  Issue goretex can usually be had really cheaply and at a tiny fraction of the price of any commercial goretex jacket.  But obviously anything waterproof like a poncho will be a lot better than any issued uniforms in standard fabrics.

Very helpful advice, thanks guys!

I've poked around on GoOutdoors, and if you have their annual £5 membership card you can get some nice discounts... so I've got these reserved:

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/351741/freedom-trail-men-s-poncho-khaki-351741
That's your box-standard nylon poncho in semi-tactical green, looks alright to me at £7

And just in case my hands do get cold

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15902348/hi-gear-waterproof-thinsulate-glove-15902348

Black thinsulate waterproof gloves for £3!

So for £15 (including that card that's already paid for itself with 'membership discounts') I should be able to keep dry, if I want to :)

Top advice on the optics and the eyewear, hadn't thought about that so much.  I've got ESS goggles and also a pair of Guarder wraparound ballistic specs.  I bought a little tub of fogstop BUT BLOODY B******* HELL I'VE LOST IT

Those Guarder specs.. the rubber frames have gone all... sticky.  And not in a good way ;)
Ugggh.  Hot water and soap hasn't helped, what's going on there?  
Edit: But some strong household cleaner has rescued them from Room 101

30 minutes ago, TheFull9 said:

Cotton is not wicking, it is the opposite, it holds water for a comparatively very long time and is especially cold when wet compared to wool or synthetics.

So I'd be better off with a football top instead?

Oh yeah, footwear got a mention.  I'm waiting on a pair of surplus Austrian Paratrooper boots to turn up.  If they don't, or they don't fit, I'll be a bit b*ggered tbh.  

Edited by RostokMcSpoons
Typo, glasses, footwear

One of my favourite games was in high winds and foul weather.

Most players were cold, wet and miserable and a lot went home 

If the woods are just right then it seems to rain less in the woods, so get into the game and be active.

On that day I got soaked and muddy in the morning, got changed to clean & dry clothes for lunch, got soaked & muddy in the afternoon and changed to go home

I may or may not have changed boots during the day (damp feet are the worst) 
I will have had something clean and dry for my feet on the way home 

Everything was chucked into a bin bag and dealt with later.

Note the top tip on cleaning it ASAP at home.  You may need to hose it down depending on who is in charge of the washing machine and how foul it is

On this particular occasion I didn’t, and had my stinking pile bagged in the car for the week.  I was to meet up with someone and was on the phone when leaving work saying I’ll have to be late because I absolutely must get it into a washing machine.  I was overheard by the receptionist and she insisted on doing it for me —- no matter how much I protested about how foul it will be after festering for a week. 
I then have lovely folded & ironed kit, along with her telling me how she couldn’t understand why her husband was so intrigued by this mystery mans clothing and all the effort she put into it

• Supporters

3 hours ago, TheFull9 said:

they just get soaked in short order and being bulky things made of thick fabric they soak up a lot of water; take about a day to dry once hung up in a warm house.  Cotton is not wicking, it is the opposite, it holds water for a comparatively very long time and is especially cold when wet compared to wool or synthetics.

Yup.  Base layers, I go either synthetic, or merino wool. Merino is great stuff, it's soft, wicks sweat, insulates, it's warm even when wet.  Sheep don't grow cotton fleeces. ;) 

3 hours ago, TheFull9 said:

Issue goretex can usually be had really cheaply and at a tiny fraction of the price of any commercial goretex jacket.

Yup, you can find surplus gear (mis)listed as goretex, or under the generic term MVP (Moisture Vapour Permeable).  I've just had cause to test a pair of surplus MVP over-trousers by cycling in torrential rain, and they did a decent job for much less than the cost of GoreTextm branded civvy stuff, and without the sweatiness of my previous rubberised vinyl trousers.

I'm currently watching some MVP jackets/liners on eBay since the buy-it-nows tend to be £30+ upwards. In the meantime, I agree that cheap ponchos do a decent job, although they will leak and seep around the gaps once you start moving.

Dubbin or copious globs of polish on your boots, or pick up some waterproof socks aka boot liners.  Sealskinz or surplus both work.

I'm always sceptical about waterproof gloves, as it's almost impossible to get all the seams full sealed.  At that price though, they're worth a punt.

• Supporters
3 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

And just in case my hands do get cold

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15902348/hi-gear-waterproof-thinsulate-glove-15902348

Black thinsulate waterproof gloves for £3!

Just a quick note, those gloves are quite bulky and are fleecy type material. You may find they don't give much grip, particularly when they're dry, if you can stretch to them I'd suggest these instead https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15895026/sealskinz-ultra-grip-glove-15895026/?istCompanyId=c2ec8a5d-93c1-4850-a97a-f4d89d7c99c8&istFeedId=6d621985-aa60-4568-aedd-0f35fc1be5cb&istItemId=wapiwwxia&istBid=t

Blimey, the good old weathermen, eh?
The forecast has now changed from "pissing on my chips" to "a bit cool with a breeze and a 20% chance of showers"

I'm still going to pick up the poncho and the gloves... just in case the weather chappie changes his mind again

1 minute ago, Lozart said:

Just a quick note, those gloves are quite bulky and are fleecy type material. You may find they don't give much grip, particularly when they're dry, if you can stretch to them I'd suggest these instead https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15895026/sealskinz-ultra-grip-glove-15895026/?istCompanyId=c2ec8a5d-93c1-4850-a97a-f4d89d7c99c8&istFeedId=6d621985-aa60-4568-aedd-

0f35fc1be5cb&istItemId=wapiwwxia&istBid=t

£22. a bit of a jump in cost, but if they're actually useful in the long term - an investment.  
I'll take a look when I'm there!

• Supporters
17 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

£22. a bit of a jump in cost, but if they're actually useful in the long term - an investment.  
I'll take a look when I'm there!

You get what you pay for, they do have some cheaper ones (like the Peter Storm waterproof gloves) but whatever you do get, just be happy that they fit well (not super baggy) and have some kind of grip surface on the palm. Having dry hands is all well and good but of you can't hold your gun with them on then they're somewhat counter-productive.

• Supporters
5 minutes ago, Lozart said:

You get what you pay for

Eh. You can still score a very occasional real bargain, but mostly by buying winter gear in spring, and summer gear in autumn.

I did once bag a pair of new and apparently genuine GoreTextm lined motorcycle gloves for the princely sum of £23.98, and they were great until I managed to drop them while walking to my bike, turned around 30 seconds later when I realised, and some Weegie ned had already had them away. :( 

• Supporters
11 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Eh. You can still score a very occasional real bargain, but mostly by buying winter gear in spring, and summer gear in autumn.

I did once bag a pair of new and apparently genuine GoreTextm lined motorcycle gloves for the princely sum of £23.98, and they were great until I managed to drop them while walking to my bike, turned around 30 seconds later when I realised, and some Weegie ned had already had them away. :( 

A discount is great but if you get a £50 pair of gloves for a tenner, you're still getting a £50 pair of gloves. a £3 pair will always be a £3 pair.

One pair of black leather Thinsulate gloves found 'hiding in plain sight' in my wardrobe when I was putting something away.  So that's that sorted in a "that'll-do" style.

I really hope my boots turn up (and fit), that's what is making me really twitchy now

@RostokMcSpoons Don't forget to get good gaiters. They’ll save you despite having waterproof boots. Whenever it’s supposed to be proper damp or raining, I never leave without my gaiters. You can get a good pair for less that £20 these days. Best advice you may hear a lot: keep your feet dry at all times. You may be soaked to the bone, but as long as your feet are dry you’ll be more or less fine.

Pay attention to how the straps are attached and what they’re made of. My mate made a mistake and bought a pair of “reinforced” ones, and it turned out that the strap that go underneath your boot were made of steel wire, while the seams holding them in place gave way after two trips.

Now, the other question is, how the heck we’re supposed to protect our shitty AEG from wet weather?

I second the gaiters.   There is a pair for sale on here for a tenner.  

Surplus waterproofs give years of wear.  They will work out much cheaper than cheap Go Outdoors stuff in the medium never mind long term.   

I have been over various mountains today in the pissing rain.   Deerhunter jacket £20 from Sportsman Gun Centre, £10 surplus leggings, thinsulate beanie from a petrol station.   Well dubbed surplus boots.  Warm and dry all day.  

Polycotton underwear from Lidl's and away you go.  

I have had my kit years and years.   Buy quality buy once.   

• Supporters

Hmm, I've never tried gaiters.  I'm struggling to see the point, as they seem like a fussy way to wear half of a pair of waterproof over-trousers, that will leave you getting damp from the knees up.  What am I missing?

• Supporters
4 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

the feeling of dampness slowly wicking its way down from your knees into your boots?

But will it reach the balls of my feet before the balls of my balls?

@Rogerborg You're missing the fact that in the woods you’re going through grass and bushes, and these will be mostly up to your knee, so the purpose of gaiters is to repel the water from these below your ankle line, away from the fabric and boots, at worst prolonging, at best preventing your lower trousers, shoes, and socks from getting damp/wet.

It’s not about being able to step into a bog or a big puddle; it’s to prevent "the death by a thousand water drops."

• Supporters

I was thinking of that fact that airsoft involves a fair bit of crouching and wriggling through damp shrubbery that comes a lot higher than knee height, especially when that knee is on the ground.

It just seems curious to use half a solution rather than a full one.

22 hours ago, shadowfacex said:

@RostokMcSpoons 

Now, the other question is, how the heck we’re supposed to protect our shitty AEG from wet weather?

295B61CA-06B2-4EC3-8C16-AC5731453CF6.png.64b0406f01c197fe4eb949b4b184414c.png

Alternatively - don’t put the battery and circuit board areas into a puddle.

Is it reasonably sealed?

Are cables, plugs etc insulated? 
Have you checked where short circuits could occur?

Potentially circuit boards may have been ‘treated’ with a coating over components, or it can be done with aftermarket coatings (or even nail varnish) 

((Bearing in mind you dont want to screw up a board whilst trying to protect a board))

For gameplay things will probably be fine.  Afterwards make sure that equipment is clean and dry before packing away

Gaiters?  Where are we, Florida???

(See what I did there.  Dad jokes a speciality.  I'm here all week, unfortunately for you.  Etc)

The good ol' weatherman has changed his mind again.  Chips definitely being pissed on.  Well, according to one weatherman. 
Another thinks it's only a 10% chance of rain, and it'll be fine and dandy, and I might be taking the factor 20 instead.

So, sod it, not worrying any more about getting wet.  I bought the poncho just in case.

More concerning are my boots.  They've arrived.  They're great, but they're fairly tight (size 10/44.  I think I need 10.5/45).  And as they're 2005 vintage, I doubt they're going to stretch anymore.
Maybe a good lump of dubbin?
So I'll almost certainly wear them for this weekend and then try to swap them for the next size up.    (I refuse to feel guilty about doing that as the shop advertised next day posting, and they actually took 5+ days to do it, so I've had no time to try them, send them back for another pair).

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.