Filling Tippmann CO2 Canister for Omega-PV Electro-Pneumatic RIF

Zigey

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi Guys, let me pick your brains.

I have just bought myself a tippmann Omega PV with the co2 stock,

For anyone unfamiliar with these Rifs they are powered using a canister that holds 2x12g co2 bulbs that is fitted into the stock, giving you a kind of self contained hpa setup without the need for a bulky tank and/or hose. 

Now, my only issue with these is the canisters, 24g of co2 seems low given the potential capacity.

My understanding of co2 is that at room temp and over 850psi any gas will condense into a liquid and when the pressure drops the liquid vaporizes bringing the psi back up.

So, as I understand it it should be possible to fill one of these right up for twice or three times the rounds before refilling.

My question for the forum is how can this best be achieved?

Dry ice?

Tapping the tank?

Back filling the valve?

Any suggestions welcome,

Thanks.

image.png.2af089b948020994421aa30bd31576e3.png

spacer.pngtippmann-14-inch-carbine-co2-powered_000

Can’t answer your question but I really want one of these, they are as quiet as anything I have heard on site

I’m also not familiar with this system, but I’ll have a go with giving my opinions ….. and have had a glance over this video to see how the twin 12g cylinder works

Option 1 = don’t do it.  Either stick to pairs of 12 grams or change over to a 13ci HPA cylinder at 3000psi

I expect the 13ci cylinder will be slightly fatter, but is a similar size and can be used with a stock configuration

6570ECBB-66DB-4920-9C7D-90D10F6C9F31.png.c18fbebdd3250c5266d95886c92b8619.png

Option 2 = Don’t modify anything and backfill the valve.

Which will only work if the valve allows back fills, and if you can make a suitable fill rig

This comes with the problem of how to fill co2, which should be done by chilling the system and managed by weight

You could technically fill with HPA, but have then abused a CO2 system and should only fill to no more than the equivalent 850psi as you don’t know the capabilities of the twin Co2 chamber.

You become worse off with HPA then as pressure drops with HPA immediately as opposed to CO2 switching between liquid and gas states 

Go back to opinion 1 with a 13ci HPA cylinder 

Option 3 = tapping the twin co2 cylinder

With 12 grams I expect there is no space to a tap and fit a valve

Strictly speaking you don’t need the 12 grams, as they are punctured to fill the twin cylinder.  So you could do without them which allows you internal space for a tapped valve.  But you’re constrained by the stock it fits in, so you would have to find a point where you have a gap in the stock (and have now probably got it stuck in place) or at the front (it you don’t interfere with the valve)

We also don’t know how tapping it is going to affect the cylinders integrity 

Option 4

88gram disposable co2

These are bigger disposable cylinders, equivalent to just over seven 12 grams 

But you need a different adaptor for the 88 gram and will need to fit the HPA receiver to the Omega

These valves don’t seal, so you’re stuck with it fitted until you finish the co2, or let it all blow away when you remove it

60B8DB59-02E0-4167-892B-CEC7C36AA336.jpeg.d5716c74f9b1ee867730577cc3320e79.jpeg64817B6B-A515-4715-90AC-EC63A8002436.thumb.jpeg.497cbacdebc049661f2f17b0e79bf45d.jpeg

Option 5 - refillable 12 grams 

Making sure to get 12grams with the refill at the normal puncture point, hoping the puncture nipples open the valve etc …..

BEBBA6A9-6036-4F96-8BC9-F86863014285.thumb.jpeg.77e6c521aa0a48f232824e5544aa148b.jpeg

My verdict is to put up with 12 grams or take the 13 Ci option

When I saw this on site, the guy running it had a spare bulb holder, so once the gun was empty, he popped it out and put another straight in with no fuss rather than messing with new bulbs in the middle of a firefight.

I suppose he then put more bulbs in whilst in the respawn or back in the safe zone 

After reading Tommikkas very good post I think that's exactly what I'm going to, at least for a while. 

I have a spare cartridge so I'll just pick up some kind of bulb carrier and just refill as required.

Thanks lads. 

Back in the olden days, there was a quick change magazine of 12 grams. The AGD 6 pack

I’ve never managed to get my hands on one, but you would use one 12 gram and eject/replace it with a lever action

It sold out as quick as they made them, but was short lived as larger CO2 and HPA replaced 12 grams.

https://www.vintagerex.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?action=viewchangers&changers=AGD - 6 Pack

Wow, that's a really interesting and cool product. Before my time of course but I can clearly see how It would have revolutionised paintball. 

For my own use I'm looking at one of these pouches from onetigris but stock seems to be non existent. 

image.png.edd33bf01617510bff4aa177c0bebd0b.png

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.