Drug use at airsoft sites

ShootingBlanks

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Drug use at airsoft sites…  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Has anyone ever experienced drug use at airsoft venues?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you think it is a acceptable or not?

• It’s acceptable
    • It’s not acceptable
    • It’s fine as long as they let me join in…

In the words of the late Bill Hicks...

There are Two people in the carpark fighting... Are they Drunk or are they Stoned...

I rest my case.

No a lesson my dad taught me.

If it aint hurting you, affecting you, stopping you from enjoying your beer... MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS.

Frankly, anyone using any kind of self medication like cannabis, won't be running around at an airsoft site, so I think the main worry is alcohol IMHO. 

36 minutes ago, AirSniper said:

There are Two people in the carpark fighting... Are they Drunk or are they Stoned...

I rest my case.

If it aint hurting you, affecting you, stopping you from enjoying your beer... MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS.

Frankly, anyone using any kind of self medication like cannabis, won't be running around at an airsoft site, so I think the main worry is alcohol IMHO. 

image.jpeg.f5d5ec27409b98950f47b0633974f50a.jpeg

No alcohol , no illegal drugs in the safety brief does not need translation.

4 hours ago, AirSniper said:

I rest my case.

3 hours ago, Stratton Oakmont said:

image.jpeg.f5d5ec27409b98950f47b0633974f50a.jpeg

No alcohol , no illegal drugs in the safety brief does not need translation.

Translations of the key points :

1) Mis quote of Bill Hicks:

If you're at a ball game or a concert and someone's really violent and aggressive and obnoxious, are they drunk or are they smoking pot?

(content warning with various rude words etc) 

2) If it ain’t hurting you then mind your own business:

AKA if you see people partaking in illegal substances in the car park then report it to the site, or don’t.  Alternatively report it to the police, or don’t 

3) Anyone using cannabis won’t be running around on site.

Not entirely true.

Particularly with the ‘medication’ element, whether self

medicating or under advice

… and that alcohol is a greater worry.

An alcoholic can function ‘well’ with quantities of alcohol that would put others under the table.

Cannabis has positive effects and negative effects. An individual can be suffering from a condition under which the THC/CBD content enables them to function.

But that’s not the true subject of the thread - it’s more about being under the influence - which does not bode well for an ability to make good decisions around shooting people 

The abuse of drink and drugs don’t belong in airsoft, they can supplement ‘apres skirmish’ later

55 minutes ago, Tommikka said:

The abuse of drink and drugs don’t belong in airsoft, they can supplement ‘apres skirmish’ later

The OP's thread title is clear enough.  He asks about the use of drugs, not abuse of drugs.

I drink three Arabicas each morning, not fifteen.     

5 hours ago, Tommikka said:

Translations of the key points :

1) Mis quote of Bill Hicks:

If you're at a ball game or a concert and someone's really violent and aggressive and obnoxious, are they drunk or are they smoking pot?

(content warning with various rude words etc) 

2) If it ain’t hurting you then mind your own business:

AKA if you see people partaking in illegal substances in the car park then report it to the site, or don’t.  Alternatively report it to the police, or don’t 

3) Anyone using cannabis won’t be running around on site.

Not entirely true.

Particularly with the ‘medication’ element, whether self

medicating or under advice

… and that alcohol is a greater worry.

An alcoholic can function ‘well’ with quantities of alcohol that would put others under the table.

Cannabis has positive effects and negative effects. An individual can be suffering from a condition under which the THC/CBD content enables them to function.

But that’s not the true subject of the thread - it’s more about being under the influence - which does not bode well for an ability to make good decisions around shooting people 

I was a functional alcoholic for many years. I know all too well the long term effects of alcohol.

Reporting to the police, unless you have evidence or proof, if you have concerns, then those matters should be the judgement call of the site operator and not the police who may turn up and ruin everyone's day or cause the site operator issues.

IMHO, rather than outright accuse someone behind their back, playing it with care that "You suspect that <player> is a bit worse for wear" and let the site operators speak with the player, any good operator would know a sobriety test and perform both a visual assessment and any obvious odours and perhaps opportunity for the player to defend themselves.

I say this because I went to work one day after being at a house party. Lets say my "Odour" was from being around plenty of people who had been using something. What happened at work, well they subjected me to a covert drugs test, found nothing untoward as they asked me in the office. A member of staff had commented to management that I was using when I wasn't. Nearly lost my job because of it.

You have to remember that you are messing with peoples lives here, while you may be thinking that you are doing your public duty, exercise caution because things do not always appear as you think.

• Supporters
7 hours ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

He asks about the use of drugs, not abuse of drugs.

The problem is, you can't tell from a snapshot instant whether you're seeing the former, or the latter.  "Oh, it's just my first sip / spliff" is exactly what an addict would say to hide their addiction.

Zero tolerance doesn't mean "... at the point where it becomes impossible to ignore."

Going by the ops original question . Is it accepted by the general Airsoft community/players. I'd say there's no definitive answer, people's opinions differ as we have seen in this discussion.

30 minutes ago, heroshark said:

Going by the ops original question . Is it accepted by the general Airsoft community/players. I'd say there's no definitive answer, people's opinions differ as we have seen in this discussion.

Based on the survey from the original question it’s not acceptable in the general community 

1E4945E2-8BF5-4433-B76D-C59A12FA7498.png

Quite often when playing at certain venues you can the whiff of something that little bit extra menthol burning.

My issue with it is that there are younger kids who play airsoft, they don't need exposing to it as well. If you're going to go and do drugs, do them out of sight and mind of everyone else. Don't affect me and I won't affect you. If you're spaced out your head and you break an ankle in the woods, don't expect sympathy.

• Supporters

In a "recreational" setting, I'd far rather be around a stoner than a pisshead (far less likelihood of violence and far better choice of snacks for a start).

As for whether or not it's acceptable on a site - it's irrelevant if the site rules disallow it. Doesn't matter if you agree with it or not or if you are fine after a spliff or two or a couple of beers. Airsoft sites are privately run and more often than not have a landlord. If that landlord doesn't like anything the punters do the company running the site for airsoft can lose their lease. Breaking the rules and pissing off the landlord is a dick move.

35 minutes ago, Tommikka said:

Based on the survey from the original question it’s not acceptable in the general community 

1E4945E2-8BF5-4433-B76D-C59A12FA7498.png

Over looked that :), still makes me wonder out of those 50 who voted would actively do something about it or just get on with their days game. Also how many people who do think it's ok would actually put that out there on a forum .I understand and totally agree it's the official line of the sites. I'm of the inclination I don't care what people do as long as they aren't hurting anyone. 

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Tommikka said:

98% of the 50 will tut and do nothing

Smoking weed, whatevs.  My main concern there would be them taking a whatevs attitude to chrono, hit taking and such.

Alcohol - or doing lines off of their dashboard, since we're imagining heinous site sins - I'd be more likely run and cry to the site, because I agree that the consequences are potentially worse.

I stress more likely, but I'd have a good think about it first, based on what I knew about the site.  I'd be willing to bet that far too many site runners would tut then do nothing, say "Well, I didn't see it", or outright resent being asked to walk their talk.

• Supporters
4 hours ago, Tommikka said:

Let me hazard a guess:

98% of the 50 will tut and do nothing

the remaining 2% (one person) will come on here and start a poll

Not sure which % I am as I’m more than happy to stick my neck out and say yes I’d report them , if I come across anyone using anything that can alter their mental state before , during or after the game day and before they drive home then yes I will report them , to the site during game time and the police out of these hours .

I put absolutely no credence on “if it ain’t affecting me it’s not my business” as in any of these two situations it could have a very detrimental effect on me(and by the fact I don’t go on my own my friends AND my two sons)so nope sorry you gave up any understanding from me the minute you started taking these substances not in your own home or some other private or closed environment but in a public area where your coming in to contact with others who aren’t using .

Some of you will know I work in A&E so on a regular bases I see the results of ‘it’s only a bit of weed ?” or “it’s only a couple of drinks he/she’s not harming anyone ?” When in fact yes they are actually harming/maiming/killing others due to their actions . 
Plus as OP said he almost lost his job(admittedly was a result of his own choice of putting him self in the environment)due to smelling of cannabis from being in a ‘weed filled’ party so even then yes you smoking it can have a detrimental effect on others .

2 hours ago, John_W said:

Reminds me of playing at a Big Game on a site near the South Coast where one of the Marshals was driving the "safety vehicle" while smoking weed...

Lol. We all know where you mean!!

Anything that fires a projectile needs to be treated with the utmost respect, true 100%.  

I should imagine that most injuries occur due to egoism and/or lack of respect.  Much harder to police.  

As someone who worked with addicts, I have arrived at the view that most interventions are due to and aimed at behaviour rather than cessation.  I wouldn't take illegal narcotics if you paid me (read Druid's comments above!), but I bet that I spot high functioning addicts/users more often than you'd think.  Some in pretty responsible positions.  

• Supporters
54 minutes ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

I bet that I spot high functioning addicts/users more often than you'd think.  Some in pretty responsible positions.  

Unfortunately I can totally agree with this , my sister is a functioning alcoholic but if you didn’t know you’d never guess it if you mete her . It’s quite scary how well she can function when she’s had more than enough booze to make an ‘ordinary’ person well pissed yet she seems fine BUT if you do watch her carefully you’ll see she makes mistakes with even the simplest of tasks . 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.