Prometheus or Lonex Gearbox parts?

marcouss

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys,

I have a specna arms edge and want to upgrade the internals. My barrel length is 10.5" fyi and currently everything is stock apart from ml bucking + nub and zci barrel.

I was thinking:

1) Lonex pom piston head/ cylinder head/ steel cylinder, shs 15 tooth piston, gg 25k lfirit motor, flt bushings

or

2) Prommy piston head/ cylinder head, maxx cylinder type D, shs 15 tooth piston, asg 30k motor, flt bushings

Im thinking of keeping the gears and the nozzle the same...

What do you think? Is 1 better or is 2 better? or should i try another approach?

Thank you for your time guys

Marcouss

• Supporters

What FPS are you getting now and how much does it vary from shot to shot?

The main thing to do with a DMR is make sure it's consistent which comes from having a good airseal. If your current cylinder/piston/nozzle is giving to good consistency - leave it alone.

As for trigger response, a better motor helps, a decent programmable mosfet with cycle completion and pre-cocking will also help.

• Supporters
4 hours ago, Lozart said:

What FPS are you getting now and how much does it vary from shot to shot?

The main thing to do with a DMR is make sure it's consistent which comes from having a good airseal. If your current cylinder/piston/nozzle is giving to good consistency - leave it alone.

^that

personally i'm a fan of the wide port piston heads: https://www.ak2m4.co.uk/internal-parts/pistons-heads/xt-piston-head-5-large-vents-aluminium

cylinder wise, unless the stock one is particularly scratched no real need to change that.

if the stock cylinder head is sealing well then no need to change, same applies to the nozzle, although if your gonna change nozzle then be very certain about the length requirement and get one with a sealing o-ring such as https://www.ak2m4.co.uk/internal-parts/nozzles/ec-m4-metal-nozzle-double-oring-21mm

you've already got a decent barrel/bucking/nub combo so with decent airseal and good ammo it should be most of the way there.

the gearing i'd leave alone, if you're staying at 18:1 then changing the gears is only really relevant if the existing gears are weak (ie have broken) or you're super paranoid about gear noise (beyond what can be acheived with a decent shimming/motor height job) and want to do something weird like helical.

4 hours ago, Lozart said:

As for trigger response, a better motor helps, a decent programmable mosfet with cycle completion and pre-cocking will also help.

indeed, that's the real big difference for "trigger response".  mosfet choice is up to you, personally i like gate stuff but plenty of folks are happy with perun too. motor wise the asg 30k is nice enough on 7.4 but if you really wanna splash out then the warhead brushless motors are very snappy, although a tad more delicate (especially the contacts).

Currently, Im using the asg ultimate m105 spring, firing at 310-320 fps

My gun comes with an gate x-asr mosfet but i want to change it into the perun hybrid v2 mosfet coz it has more functions + better in some ways.

The orion edge cylinder parts do have good compression but I feel it can perform smoother through upgrading the piston or piston head + aoe job. So i reckon I will change the piston +piston head. Should I change the cylinder head too?

As for the nozzle I wont change it but do you think its worth changing the hop chamber to a prometheus one?

Shimming + motor height adj is a defo in this project so Ill def do that to ensure a snappy trigger response.

As for the gears, Ill stick with your advice and stay with what I got. Motor wise, I have a zci 22tpa motor but not sure if the asg 30k motor would be a better alternative? Overall Im trying to budget as much as I can on parts but if need be, Ill splash cash on some things, but as for the motor, asg 30k (40£) is the highest Ill pay for a motor, nothing more.

• Supporters
On 16/10/2021 at 17:38, marcouss said:

Currently, Im using the asg ultimate m105 spring, firing at 310-320 fps

My gun comes with an gate x-asr mosfet but i want to change it into the perun hybrid v2 mosfet coz it has more functions + better in some ways.

The orion edge cylinder parts do have good compression but I feel it can perform smoother through upgrading the piston or piston head + aoe job. So i reckon I will change the piston +piston head. Should I change the cylinder head too?

As for the nozzle I wont change it but do you think its worth changing the hop chamber to a prometheus one?

Shimming + motor height adj is a defo in this project so Ill def do that to ensure a snappy trigger response.

As for the gears, Ill stick with your advice and stay with what I got. Motor wise, I have a zci 22tpa motor but not sure if the asg 30k motor would be a better alternative? Overall Im trying to budget as much as I can on parts but if need be, Ill splash cash on some things, but as for the motor, asg 30k (40£) is the highest Ill pay for a motor, nothing more.

Fit the parts you already have, use the gun and work out what it actually isn't doing well enough. Don't chase improvements that aren't there just because you can swap a part for something more expensive, it doesn't always work like that.

Personally I wouldn't bother trying to DMR an Orion gearbox. 

Shimming and motor height have three parts of fuck all to do with trigger response unless it's completely wrong to start with.

Stick with the zci hop unit, it's fine.

AOE will also be absolutely fine, leave it alone. If you have good compression then that's all you can ask from your cylinder/ piston etc. Leave it alone unless it breaks.

Yes, the Perun will be an improvement on the x-asr as that is the most basic of basic mosfets. I would go with a Gate Aster and USB link so you can make changes from your phone but I like gadgets.

• Supporters
On 18/10/2021 at 01:58, Lozart said:

Stick with the zci hop unit, it's fine.

Well, the stock Specna Arms unit, which is very similar to a ZCI and works well.

19 hours ago, marcouss said:

How should I go about increasing the range of my gun then?

I'd look again at the air seal.  I'd seen close to 1.2J ("360fps") from an M105 spring in my Specna Edge with a 249mm Tornado 6.02mm barrel, and had to drop down a bit again.  You're under 1J.

The air seal in my Specna was OK, but not great.  I have much better seal in my prole-spec CYMA with fewer o-rings.  I'd suggest stretching and greasing the piston o-ring (or replacing it if you're still not rock solid), and getting some lube into the nozzle o-ring.  If you don't fancy stripping the gearbox again, just scoosh some silicone up the nozzle, and into the cylinder cutout, then blow it out the nozzle before re-assembling.  You could also consider replacing the tiny tensioning spring on the hop unit with a bigger over-barrel spring, or rubber o-rings, to get a really solid seal against the gearbox (although be aware that the long hop lips on the Maple Leaf rubber can make feeding an issue).

Other than that, you've already got all the right parts.  Just get it up to the site energy limit using 0.28g or heavier BBs, and enjoy.

If you actually want a DMR, that's a different project, and I'd agree than an Orion gearbox is a poor choice.  Of course, I went ahead and did it anyway, and it's working out fine so far, but if you want to stick to AEG limits I expect that all you need is better air seal.

I see, great thank you

I think the specna arms edge is not as great as they say, but for a beginner like me, its fine for the time being given what i get for the cost of this gun.

Ill try improving the air seal like you said, and yes i do have minor feeding problems with the maple leaf bucking but i can trim the lips just a lil so it fits better tbf. Worst case scenario, ill just change a few parts to improve the air seal.

Im definitely changing the bearings to FLT bushings though for sure as well.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.