LCT AK - mags n scope mounts etc

infyrana

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey all,

Been a long while since I last posted on an airsoft forum, but this topic is definitely a new one for me...

Trying to find out a bit more information on the AK-74 series of AEG's by LCT, though I've already received some excellent help (thank you!), a little more wouldn't be a bad thing.  From all I've read so far, LCT tick the boxes of being solid and well made (though not as 'accurate' as E&L/Real Sword, which is no bother), followed by ease of internal upgrades (V3 gearbox) and with plenty of external options.

As well as seeking more general LCT AK advice from existing/previous users, I am looking to find best choices / recommendations for reliable Magazines (plum 74' mid or hi-caps) and low profile scope mount rail options for the likes of EOTech's or a simple reflex.  The rail options I've seen include the upper receiver cover (costly, don't need that much RIS), the gas port cover (too-far-forward), the traditional side scope mount (appears too high), and finally the option that eludes me when looking at stores - the low profile mount based around the original sight block area.

Oh, and which would be the better choice of silencer for a basic AK-74M .. PBS-1, PBS-4 or DTK Putnik please?

Any helpful advice would be very much appreciated, thank you!

Well, if it aint Infy 

Damn long time, where have you been ? 😀

Side mount is my normal "go-to" mount. It handles Eotech's/T1's etc with no issue. But i guess its whatever you feel comfy with.

And a PBS-1 looks / handles best😎

Edited by Archer

@SBoardley - thank you for the image and name of the mount!  That's a pretty neat mounting system, not sure how it would work with the standard black polymer type foregrips though (trying to avoid all RIS).  Searching for it linked me to some other options so very helpful indeed cheers :)

@Archer - hey!  Great to be remembered, a long time indeed away from the forums :D I could still be found at the usual site until it closed down (sad times), so currently just getting to grips with a new site.  My only concern with the side mount was the height of the scope in relation to the stock / grip compared to what I'm used to.  I'll have to see if someone owns one and would be kind enough to let me 'have a try'.  I agree with the PBS-1, just didn't know if it was 'correct' for an AK-74.

• Supporters
3 hours ago, infyrana said:

Trying to find out a bit more information on the AK-74 series of AEG's by LCT, though I've already received some excellent help (thank you!), a little more wouldn't be a bad thing.  From all I've read so far, LCT tick the boxes of being solid and well made (though not as 'accurate' as E&L/Real Sword, which is no bother), followed by ease of internal upgrades (V3 gearbox) and with plenty of external options.

if you're buying new, why not go e&l? nicer (subjective admittedly) externals, and more importantly better internals on the platinum line?

reliable Magazines (plum 74' mid or hi-caps)

cyma midcaps for cheap & cheerful, NPO for gucci looks (especially for plum) would be my pick.

can't say i rate lct or e&l's mags for performance (weak springs)

low profile scope mount rail options for the likes of EOTech's or a simple reflex.  The rail options I've seen include the upper receiver cover (costly, don't need that much RIS), the gas port cover (too-far-forward), the traditional side scope mount (appears too high), and finally the option that eludes me when looking at stores - the low profile mount based around the original sight block area.

the lowest profile you're really gonna get is either a top cover or gas block rail with something like a t1 on a low mount. front mount takes a bit of getting used to but it's not so bad, indeed i've heard it suggested it's preferable for snap style shooting. hinged top cover is an issue with zero retention, although how relevant that is for airsoft accuracy standards is up for debate.

issue with the sight block rails is the sight block is already tall, comparitively it's similar to a carryhandle mount on an ar platform.

mostly the russians don't care so much about bore offset, pretty much all the integrated siderail optics have quite a bit of offset to them.

if my aim was low profile, tbh i'd probably just use irons.

Oh, and which would be the better choice of silencer for a basic AK-74M .. PBS-1, PBS-4 or DTK Putnik please?

in terms of aesthetics? whichever you prefer.

afaik (citation needed) the pbs-1 is supposed to be only for 7.62/akm pattern guns with the smaller thread as opposed to the pbs4 being for 5.45/ak74 pattern guns with the larger thread.

the putnick i'm personally not a fan of, it's like hanging a coke can on the front of your gun, but i suppose if that's your thing then go for it.

if it were me i'd go with a standard brake on a full length gun, or a pbs-4 for a krink.

9 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

if you're buying new, why not go e&l? nicer (subjective admittedly) externals, and more importantly better internals on the platinum line?

I believe the op likes the look of the STKBR folding stock on the LCT stk-74.

@Sniper780 - Yup :)

@Adolf Hamster - Yeah, I figured if I wanted it to pull off a more traditional look, it would be cheaper to grab the full polymer stock later on.  That, plus I can source LCT a lot more practically than E&L and I'll likely change the internals anyway.

I've not tried anything as small as the T1 for a red dot, but it's something to think about cheers.  Since it's airsoft, a slight side rail offset shouldn't be an issue as long as I can get some relative consistency out of the AEG, I guess I will just have to wait and see how tall it will sit with the STKBR stock.

Great answer for the silencer thanks!  So for aesthetics the PBS-1 definitely, but as you mention there's only reference to its use on the AKM, not the 74, so I should probably avoid it.  The PBS-4 is pretty ugly in my eye, but the 'coke can' look is fine only if it actually functions to reduce noise.

• Supporters
16 minutes ago, infyrana said:

the 'coke can' look is fine only if it actually functions to reduce noise.

unless you're going hpa it's not really going to help too much, you're still going to have a ton of gearbox noise to deal with.

there are "silent" aeg builds but often they're reserved for specific patterns that already lend themselves to quietness, eg something like an f2000 with the gearbox cradled in your arm and that chunky noise absorbing polymer body to dull the gearbox noise, or something with enough room to pack foam in round the box.

E&Ls are a better OOTB gun, but if you plan on ditching most the guts then there is no negative when compared to an LCT.

Externals (real steel or airsoft) are also much easier to install professionally on the LCTs

The best bit for me about an E&L is the little mag plate in the receiver - makes reloads that bit easier.

Agreed standard mags are not the greatest but can be improved with a little love, NPOs are worth every penny if you’re a serious player.

Yes F2000 / P90 / AUG are the quietest but any AEGs can be built to have a very low sound signature.

Getting rid of the AEG whine / screech / crack / report.

Short cycle duration

Gear choice

Volume matching

Motor choice

Suppressor

All add up to a very hard to ‘find’ gun in the field.

Definitely much easier to achieve a quiet AEG with a V3 gearbox too as the motor is so accurately fixed in position.

Regarding sight mounts I find Red dots / Holo sights are best just behind the rear sight, this type gives the lowest height

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32419213457.html?trace=wwwdetail2mobilesitedetail

@Davegolf - Cheers, good to know!  I've made a note of checking mag changes to see if I need to mod anything in relation to E&L's 'little mag plate' differences.  At this time NPO mags aren't necessary, but definitely something that will be considered for a future purchase.

Hard to 'find' AEG in the field is a great way of putting it.  All those things you've mentioned will hopefully be address at some point.

Oh, excellent link, thank you - now I know what it looks like by itself, it'll make searching for it so much easier :D

Edited by infyrana

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.