Repainting a gun?

Kieron2013

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm wanting to put together a Falklands war era loadout, however the L9a1 sidearm is proving to be inconvenient to find. The only apparent option is the WE Browning Hi-power, however I've only been able to find this in a polished metal finish. I have got my UKARA license so buying it isn't an issue, but I don't know if it would be legal for me to repaint this pistol for use on the field. With most website advice only answering for 2 tone guns I'm still unsure of the legal answer. Is anyone able to give me a definitive answer?

Nice one. Thank you guys for helping me out with that.

It can be hard to do a good paint job on polished metal finish.

Use Isopropyl alcohol to get rid of any oils and use gloves to handle it before painting.

Ideally you should use primer first to help the paint hold.

Spray in thin layers and allow to dry a bit before next layer.

It'll take 5 or 6 thin coats I recon.

Good luck 👍

(Be aware of the design flaw with the WE Hi-Power)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nDSDEScEDQ&t=1s

Edited by EDcase

On 10/10/2021 at 00:24, EDcase said:

It can be hard to do a good paint job on polished metal finish.

Use Isopropyl alcohol to get rid of any oils and use gloves to handle it before painting.

Ideally you should use primer first to help the paint hold.

Spray in thin layers and allow to dry a bit before next layer.

It'll take 5 or 6 thin coats I recon.

Good luck 👍

(Be aware of the design flaw with the WE Hi-Power)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nDSDEScEDQ&t=1s

I'm not worried about doing it. I worked as a powder coater for 2 years, and learned how to wet paint there too. The best option for a smooth and tough finish on a polished surface is to clean it with a light solvent, rough it up with a bit of 240 or 400 grit sand paper, clean down with a solvent again, then pass over it in light layers, however I'm after a slightly imperfect finish, so I'll rough it up, then use one or two fairly heavy layers, and maybe pick out some details with highlights and wear. I was just worried about the legal aspect of it.

Thank you for the heads up on the design flaw too, that's a useful thing to know about.

Edited by Kieron2013

• Supporters
41 minutes ago, Godly said:

There's nothing wrong with painting .

There's a lot of bad paint jobs out there - see the classifieds.  Sounds like OP will do a proper one though.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.