Helmet/Mask Recommendations.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi folks. Looking for advice.

Looking to get a helmet and/or full mask to go with my scifi loadout (see Loadout thread). Mrs. Eezer G is going to get it as a Christmas present. I wear contacts/glasses so would be nice to have something I can wear glasses under.

Have tried various goggles however I sweat like a pig and fogging is a nightmare. I've tried borrowing a mesh fencer-style hood at my last skirmish which worked great and protected me ears however I'm nervous about BBs splitting and making their way in between the mesh to hit the eyes.

Have considered the Valken MI7 as it looks like the kind of thing I'm after. Some great helmets on Etsy however they are prohibitively expensive. Have also looked at Amazon however I don't trust the Chinesium "quality" with my eyes...

Does anyone have any recommendations? My budget is sub-£100, ideally much less than that, so I'd probably be looking at a mask rather than full helmet.

Previously had a MICH2k which I wore with a balaclava, it made me sweat like hell and also provided a rather attractive target fir snipers so I dumped that idea.

• Supporters

People who tell you to worry about bb bits through mesh are in the same league as the ones who think lipos explode like grenades left right and centre.  I've seen someone get a tiny, slightly irritating bit in their eye once.. and that's it.  This is even less of a concern if you wear glasses under the mesh, those tiny pieces have cock all energy left if a shot does break on the mask.

51 minutes ago, TheFull9 said:

People who tell you to worry about bb bits through mesh are in the same league as the ones who think lipos explode like grenades left right and centre.  I've seen someone get a tiny, slightly irritating bit in their eye once.. and that's it.  This is even less of a concern if you wear glasses under the mesh, those tiny pieces have cock all energy left if a shot does break on the mask.

Don't trust him. It will likely kill you. That's if your lipo doesn't take you out first.

Edited by heroshark

Haha.

I don't have LiPos so can't comment 😅 maybe the fencer hood isn't such a bad idea after all. Certainly a hell of a lot more affordable and no fogging...

Let me share with you my personal experience. I use mesh mask for couple of years now and I had no issues. There where few drawbacks like reflections from the sun making it more difficult to see outside but not a problem indoor. 

They during pandemic we played one game where we had to wear masks underneath and my glasses were steaming non stop. so I took of my glasses and play the round only with mesh mask. CQB site, sneaking on the dark staircase... To make long story short I got shot at close range in my face (not the first time and not the last) but this time unfortunately the other player or used low quality bb's or I was unlucky as the BB cracked on impact and few shards did hit my eye. Painful as hell. And I call myself lucky as it I have no permanent damage but this experience made me much more aware of risks.

Again if you wear glasses (as I do) then mesh mask is more than ok as long as you have this secondary protection level :)

p.s. couple of years ago I remember that one member of this forum has shared a pic of him in A&E with the BB shard stuck in his eyeball from similar accident I had. I believe he was ok afterward. 

5 hours ago, Ajax said:

Let me share with you my personal experience. I use mesh mask for couple of years now and I had no issues. There where few drawbacks like reflections from the sun making it more difficult to see outside but not a problem indoor. 

They during pandemic we played one game where we had to wear masks underneath and my glasses were steaming non stop. so I took of my glasses and play the round only with mesh mask. CQB site, sneaking on the dark staircase... To make long story short I got shot at close range in my face (not the first time and not the last) but this time unfortunately the other player or used low quality bb's or I was unlucky as the BB cracked on impact and few shards did hit my eye. Painful as hell. And I call myself lucky as it I have no permanent damage but this experience made me much more aware of risks.

Again if you wear glasses (as I do) then mesh mask is more than ok as long as you have this secondary protection level :)

p.s. couple of years ago I remember that one member of this forum has shared a pic of him in A&E with the BB shard stuck in his eyeball from similar accident I had. I believe he was ok afterward. 

Happened to me a good 15 or so times over 22 years playing. Sometimes a bit of a shock, always played on every time. Never felt the needed to go to hospital. I have heard a few have and mostly out of caution but once again never have I come across anyone with permanent sight loss to any degree due to a BB fragmented through mesh. Even the few hot gun close up incidents I've been told about and been privy to. You would need to be point blanked with a very hot gun for a BB fragment to carry enough energy to cause any serious damage. These 2 incidents where they with the woven type mesh rather than stamped/perforated sheet? As the woven texture splits BBS more readily than stamped sheet.

Edited by heroshark

• Supporters

And to chuck another monkey wrench in the gears I wear prescription inserts in my glasses and many moons again I was playing on a sub-zero temp gameday when I took a full auto blast to the face from a HPA rig set at ‘stupid’ rate of fire from less than 10ft , I was wearing a lower face mask and ballistic rated glasses so they and my face where all fine BUT due to the temperature the insert material had developed some brittleness(I found out late they shouldn’t be used in very low temps) and the kinetic energy of the hits was transferred to the inserts by the outer lense flexing against it which caused the inner to shatter and I ended up with an eye full of plastic shards ! Luckily no ill effects as I stopped my self from rubbing my eye and just kept it shut till I got too A&E . So there ALWAYS potential for things to go tits up no matter how thorough your risk assessment may be . 👍

Well folks, thanks for all your thoughts and anecdotes. Much food for thought.

Favourite contender is the Valken, however still tempted by the fencer hood. Decisions decisions...

Eezer G

On mesh in front of your eyes, my opinion is don't do it 

For random internet goggles - my opinion remains the same - don’t do it

(There are video links elsewhere in this forum with tests by PBM paintball magazine showing these types of goggles failing). 

For the Valken MI7 - they are a decent set of cheap, rental grade, basic goggles.  I have a set myself.  They are perfectly fine and meet all paintball safety standards.

However they are made of hard plastic, if they fit your head and feel right then they are great, if they don’t fit/feel wrong then they are rubbish

The most popular paintball goggles in airsoft appear to be the Dye I4. These are ‘premium’ goggles, are made of rubber and are flexible with excellent airflow.  However they are ‘compact’ and don’t go well with big heads such as mine.  For me my forehead, chin and bottom lip are exposed in I4s.

I have a set of very elderly I3s which are the smallest that can practically cover my head - still with exposed forehead & chin

New I4s aren’t likely to be available, and the current I5s are out of your price range

My preferred goggles are the VForce Grills. Also a ‘premium’ rubber goggle, good space for glasses, plenty head cover.  My forehead is vast so still has some of it exposed, but my chin and mouth are safe.

These are normally just over your price range. But if you hold on they usually have a few colour choices on sale prices through Autumn/Winter - but didn’t price drop majorly last year.

There is a large choice of colour schemes in the Grills range hence price drops if retailers are clearing stock for the next season 

Shop around and you should find grills at your budget.

The main factor with goggles is how well they fit you and how comfortable they are.  If possible get yourself to a retailer to try some on or ask someone to try on theirs (less likely in the Covid era)

As far as glasses or contacts goes a know most if they can get on with them use contacts. Not that I've dealt with it myself I know many have told me having another lens to fog ends up being a pita. 

• Supporters
29 minutes ago, heroshark said:

As far as glasses or contacts goes a know most if they can get on with them use contacts. Not that I've dealt with it myself I know many have told me having another lens to fog ends up being a pita. 

This GIFs | Tenor

I wear specs but I use contacts when I play. I also sweat like a paedo in Mothercare so I've spent a lot of time and money on "anti fogging" stuff. I now wear a pair of @heroshark's mesh goggles. Take from that what you will.

The ONLY goggles I have found to be reliable in preventing fogging to any real degree are ESS Profile Turbofans. Most "military" or adventure type eyewear is designed to be used on the move so if you get sweaty then stand still they will fog to some degree, worse if it's cold and/or damp. I've also tried Rx inserts and 9 times our of ten if the goggles aren't steaming up, the inserts are or vice versa depending on the ambient conditions.

I wear contacts most days and have done so during the skirmishes I've been to this far. Would be nice to have the option of specs if I fancied a day off them, which i do regularly. That said contacts make things easier as stated above.

Heroshark hex mesh that I’ve been using these past couple of years.

Won’t wear anything else as it all fogs.

I took an overpowered hpa burst to the face from 10 m away, they dented mildly but that was with .36 bbs and the rif  was hot as f***. (350 FPS for chrono on a .2 but over dwelled to joule creep to god only knows).
can’t recommend them highly enough. 

I wear glasses, but have a Warq, so no issues what so ever

Mesh doesnt protect you from dust and flashover from pyro etc (nor do shooting glasses in reality)

21 minutes ago, MadMole said:

I wear glasses, but have a Warq

Just curious really.

A lot of people say about Warq helmets and how effective they are but why are they and how do they work? 🤔

Regards 

21 minutes ago, Shamal said:

Just curious really.

A lot of people say about Warq helmets and how effective they are but why are they and how do they work? 🤔

Regards 

Nicely integrated set up.

Might be a bit wide with cheek weld aiming sightline in some cases.

Edited by EDcase

10 minutes ago, EDcase said:

Nicely integrated set up.

Might be a bit wide with cheek weld aiming sightline in some cases.

Thanks for vid.

Yes I had trouble aiming down sights when I tried a lower mesh.

It does seem like it could be a winner although he wasn't really sweating More of a gentle perspiration really.Me on the other hand,well I can win hands down against a garden sprinkler!! Lol 😉

Regards 

• Supporters
16 hours ago, MadMole said:

Mesh doesnt protect you from dust and flashover from pyro etc (nor do shooting glasses in reality)

Little Britain Dust GIFs | Tenor

I'm intrigued as to where you play that there's so much pyro you need to worry about flash over!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.