Velocity Reducers

Liam Porter
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Do you use velocity reducers on your weapons to make them suitable for multiple locations and skirmishes?

I have the Warrior MB01, shooting at 480 with .20s, without the velocity reducer in - perfect for woodland.

With the velocity reducer added, it shoots at 270 with .20s - not good for anything.

The velocity reducer is just a small threaded piece with a small hole down the centre, it screws in the end of the piston, reducing the size of the hole, reducing air flow I guess.

It looks like this;

post-2954-1309377155_thumb.jpg

I was wondering, if I make the middle hole larger, will it increase the velocity when it's installed?

I would do it slowly and carefully, and a tiny bit at a time, then chrono it, etc. until I hopefully reach 390 fps (urban sniper limit).

Do you think this would work? And has anyone done it before?

If not, then any other ways of reducing the velocity (apart from getting a new spring)?

Thanks.

Do you use velocity reducers on your weapons to make them suitable for multiple locations and skirmishes?

I have the Warrior MB01, shooting at 480 with .20s, without the velocity reducer in - perfect for woodland.

With the velocity reducer added, it shoots at 270 with .20s - not good for anything.

The velocity reducer is just a small threaded piece with a small hole down the centre, it screws in the end of the piston, reducing the size of the hole, reducing air flow I guess.

It looks like this;

post-2954-1309377155_thumb.jpg

I was wondering, if I make the middle hole larger, will it increase the velocity when it's installed?

I would do it slowly and carefully, and a tiny bit at a time, then chrono it, etc. until I hopefully reach 390 fps (urban sniper limit).

Do you think this would work? And has anyone done it before?

If not, then any other ways of reducing the velocity (apart from getting a new spring)?

Thanks.

Hey Liam my mate just got the warrior as he wanted the same sniper as me but he got his from action hobby's and I got mine from Combat south the main difference here was that AH use the reducer and CS does not so it took us a while to figure out why his was so much worse than mine. I think he was shooting around 250FPS with 0.20gs and 470FPS with the reducer removed. If your site doesn't allow you to use anything over 400FPS you can remove the reducer and cut the spring down a bit to make it shower at 400FPS like I did for my mate. If you want I could make a quick video showing you how to get into the spring and all that business.

Regards,

Mark

how quickly can these be removed/changed?? as with the old TM reducer some sites didn't allow them as they could be unscrewed quickly, so removed after chroning and refitted when returning

• Supporters

Quite quickly, be requires you to remove cheek rest, take the piston out, unscrew the reducer, then put it back together again. Not like ones I've seen that go on the end of the muzzle.

but not quick enough ud want to do it in a forest, in the rain :D

so it seems its either spring change/chop or your idea of opening up the bore

• Supporters

I wouldn't need/want to change mid-game, just wanted my gun to be usable to two different sites, as currently it's just woodland.

Mark, thank you for the suggestion, but I don't want to cut the spring (I'd get a new one) because then it wouldn't be suitable for woodland.

I will drill the hole larger and post the results, if it works, then I presume it could help out quite a few people who don't fancy a 250 fps sniper at urban, then a 450 at woodland :)

I mean I'm a complete novice and it took me around 2 minuets to do it, and even if you do mess it up a new spring is tenner so its all good.

• Supporters

Yeah, I can cut/change the spring quite easily, but no need to cut, I'd just buy one that's for 400ish fps

That's cool I just figured you could have saved yourself some money, it's funny as we have the same gun and we are basically going down the same route with gear. Have you decided on what sort of camouflage your going to use when sniping?

I don't use one, but it seems like a good idea.

I'd try one out if I ever got a Spring sniper but as it stands I use a gas one anyway, with a PCS bolt so I don't need anything else :P

• Supporters

I'm tight on money at the moment, so I just wear woodland dpm (as it's all I have), but gonna get/make a ghillie suit (hopefully).

What sniper do you have?

A Tanaka M40, and a KJW M700, and for DM'ing I use an upgraded CYMA M14

But I'm tight on money too now, because of my beauties :P

Do you run a sidearm?

• Supporters

Well I did go in heavy and use my M4, but my dad bought me TM G17 for an early birthday present (birthday's in November). Ordered it from Zero One yesterday morning, came today, but wasn't in, picking up now :)

Nice :D

My TM P226 is out of action right now, but that'll be my sidearm when it's working. Either that or a TM 1911.

I've had a TM Hi capa, KWA M9, KSC Glock 17 & 34 and I even went out with a KSC Mac 11 once :P

That was the most fun I'd ever had, and then I had to sell it :(

• Supporters

Aha, not too many guns! Why'd you have to sell the Mac 11?

• Supporters

Fair enough :P, where do you keep your guns? Mine just tend to lay around my bedroom, on the floor when I'm asleep, on the bed when I'm awake.. not practical :L.

I'm thinking of getting brackets or something to put them on the wall above my PC, nice space for the there :)

• Supporters

Oh good I'm not the only one who just leaves them lying around. You got gun bags/cases for any?

Just the one, which can barely fit my M40 in it.

I have to take off the scope to fit it D:

It's like a mad dash to the car on skirmish mornings. Thank god no-one's out at 8AM in my part of the village :D

• Supporters

I've been looking for a bag for my L96 for a while, none are big enough to fit a 56" sniper.. There's usually four or five of us in the car on skirmish days, along with 5, soon to be 6 or 7 guns, my mate uses a guitar bag for his sniper & shotgun :L

Archived