Blow back pistols and CO2

emilianoksa

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

It is said CO2 wears out internal parts faster because of its higher pressure.

KJW pistols are designed for use with both green gas and CO2.

Although they are said to be built to cope with CO2, what does that mean?

Apparently they have stronger loading nozzles. Is that it, or do they have other reinforced parts?

How well do such popular pistols as the CZ Shadow series hold up on CO2 over time?

Edited by emilianoksa

Can't say in the long run but I've been told that CO2 can wear down seals quicker as its a "dry" gass

I run a maintenance capsule through mine occasionally to keep it working well

Of all the co2 pistols I have owned, I have not really seen a difference between co2 and green gas in terms of materials used and "reinforcements". This only applies for metal pistols. 

With the CZ series, the co2 will wear away the mag catch, especially the for cz75 and shadow 1. For the shadow 2, I only briefly had it but it others have said the mag catch improved on that version. But ye the cz series will hold up to co2 easily. So no need to worry about it. The ones you should worry about are pistols like glock 17/18/19 etc because the metal is thin where the recoil rod goes through on the slide. That is the only pistol slide that has ever broke on me from using co2. The glock 34 slide with the thicker front fairs a lot better. 

So all in all, if there's a co2 option for the pistol, it should be fine. Just watch out for thin metal parts like glock 17 slides as pot metal won't hold up to that abuse for long.

Thanks to you both.

The reason I ask is because I have been tempted to acquire ASG CZ P09 Duty with the metal slide. Although it has proven to be a popular gun with airsofters, there have been some problems with the hammer snapping.

I just wondered if that might be a result of using CO2 rather than green gas. CO2 is after all, much more powerful than green gas.

I can't comment on long-term use but I did have a Co2 version KJW CZ75 (KP-09).

It worked very well and I never had any problems with it though I didn't use it very much and eventually sold it.

I believe the Co2 versions have a stronger nozzle/valve system to deal with the higher pressure so as long as its sold as a Co2 version it should be fine.

The reasons I'm not keen on Co2 pistols are: (From owning a WE Co2 mag M9)

1) Not being able to top-up gas.

2) Gas capsules more expensive than regular gas.

3) Leaks can be expensive to fix as testing will empty a gas capsule if still leaking.

4) Replacement valves are expensive and hard to find.

Edited by EDcase

• Supporters

not messed around much with dual-gas guns, but i have noticed that the co2 guns i've owned tended to have smaller diameter pistons than a similar sized gun on green gas, with thicker walls.

co2 guns beating themselves to death can happen, for example the 1911 anniversary edition i had sheared the front off the barrel bushing simply by beating the crap out of it.

that said, gg guns can do that too depending on how well they're made, eg my we 226 beat the dissasembly lever bad enough to snap it in two.

tbh i tend to avoid co2 as the venn diagram of people who claim to have reliable co2 guns (with whatever trick you care to name being responsible) and the people who i've seen skirmishing with reliable co2 pistols doesn't overlap.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.