Boot recommendations

Joe142

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all, I currently run the 5.11 rapid dry 3.0 boots as my summer boot but want something a little more waterproof for winter, what do you all recommend? 

Whatever feels comfortable, really.

Gore-Tex lined boots are great for keeping (cold) water off your feet but you'll need to take care of them (just clean them with a soft brush when all the dirt dries).

Also read the first line, over and over again. A pair of expensive boots that doesn't fit comfortably will be just as bad as a cheap pair of boots that doesn't fit comfortably.

I personally run Crispi Stealth Plus GTX boots. My last pair (similar to these) lasted me 8 years of abuse.

I use a pair of surplus altbergs. £50 and super comfy year round. Any surplus brown boot is going to be great tbh, Alterberg, Haix, Bates, YDS, Iturri . Just make sure you go try them on first with whatever/similar socks you'll be wearing.

Check the soles are still hard and not spongy, wear a pair of thick socks over a pair of thin socks to reduce any chance of blisters. Maybe buy some altberg brown polish and a brush to keep them waterproofed. 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Joe142 said:

Hi all, I currently run the 5.11 rapid dry 3.0 boots as my summer boot but want something a little more waterproof for winter, what do you all recommend? 

How about the waterproof version of the same boot? https://tactree.co.uk/511-speed-3-0-wp-boots

Personally I use these https://www.nightgearstore.com/Merrell-2-8-inch-Response-WP-Boots/4822026748ng.htm?colour=Tactical+Black&sku=1278370&productid=342206&gclid=CjwKCAjwndCKBhAkEiwAgSDKQRKwmrMmCnls6G1ovtGHsRkQBNI2ASz-LxuYg19PiKqkFaqlcU-7KBoCtpcQAvD_BwE because Mereell boots always fit me well.

I use a pair of goretex boot liners which have never let me down. I've  managed to stand in an 8 inch deep stream for over a minute and my feet stayed warm and dry, despite the boots themselves leaking like a sieve 

These are just my opinions and should not be taken as a statement of fact:

• I can't really recommended any boots. I used merrel for years, then i had 2 pairs break at the same place within a year. I moved to salomon and used the same pair for 5.5 years (yes i counted). They failed (fair play) and i replaced them with the "speedcross" trail running shoe, which lasted 6 months before delaminating. I since replaced them with the "crosshike" hiking boot, with goretex lining, but haven't used them enough to really comment. The salomon warranty was pretty quick and fairly generous - a voucher worth £80 more than i paid. I still use the running shoes but i was / am dissapointed
  • Massive leather boots are for professional soldiers or in the event of total social breakdown,  not airsofting, imo.
  • I also think ankle support is massively overrated and sites insistence on using them has much more to do with a sense of aesthetic and not wanting "white trainers" then it is h&s... controversial!!!!!
  • When i do get wet feet most of the time its not cause i stepped in a puddle, its cause i've been walking through long wet grass. gaiters are useful for this.
  • For a winter airsoft boot where at most you'll be wearing them for no more than 36 hours, i would (and did) go with goretex lining. but for extended stuff, i think a non-goretex lined boot with waterproof socks are best
  • Ultimately i see the point of all this stuff as not getting your feet wet, rather then merely not letting water in. If you get all sweaty, your feet will get wet. as a rough rule of thumb (toe?) i advise not wearing waterproof socks till your boot is already wet. wear them till they dry out enough to replace them with a normal sock.
  • I get very, very sweaty so bear this in mind
  • There's wearing the right clothes for the weather, but really its wearing the right clothes to match the weather and the activity. For a day skirmish i wear pretty much the same stuff year round, I prefer being cold and wet to being really hot as skirmishing / anything even barely resembling physical activity warms me up, it doesn't cool me down. Same with running. I adhere to the "be bold, start cold" school of thought but i appreciate that having cold hands and toes is uniquely awful.
  • i always, always have spare clothes, socks and shoes for the drive home. (i also never, ever, ever wear camo outside of a site. i am very body positive so have no issues getting changed in a car park)

Edited by GeorgePlaysAirsoft

I had a pair of Salomon boots that were very heavily abused in all sorts of weather and walking/climbing and dog walking conditions. No joking, they failed after about 20-25 years after the soles of both boots starting coming away at the same time. Ironically at one of my first couple of airsoft skirmishes last year. Read in to that what you will 😆

I immediately replaced them with another pair of Salomon's, but I haven't worn them in to get them to slipper comfy state yet 😉

Expensive, but awesome boots!

• Supporters

I'd respectfully disagree with the flasher pervert above and say that I think my ankles have been saved a couple of times by being well supported, although I've been getting a bit (literally) slack with my lacing recently.  Must bondage better.

Also, I wear army surplus GoreTex lined boots not just for airsoft, but for biking, office wear, evening wear, swimsuit competitions...

• Supporters
44 minutes ago, GeorgePlaysAirsoft said:

• I also think ankle support is massively overrated and sites insistence on using them has much more to do with a sense of aesthetic and not wanting "white trainers" then it is h&s... controversial!!!!!

You may just be lucky/have insanely strong ankles but trust me, ankle support is NOT overrated. The type of ankle support offered by most walking boots however...ehhhh...

A properly laced, 8" tall boot WILL make a difference to how well your ankles survive if you happen to turn your foot in a rabbit hole (of course, if you're not playing outdoors it's less likely but still).

Lowa Zypher boots.

I'm on my second pair and they've been brilliant. its an all year round boot too.

50 minutes ago, GeorgePlaysAirsoft said:
  • Massive leather boots are for professional soldiers or in the event of total social breakdown,  not airsofting, imo.

The newer issue British army surplus boots are very light for what they provide. There's a reason a new pair of altbergs costs north of £150, hence my suggestion for surplus and going to physically look at them, you can sometimes stumble on near new or even boxed boots for surplus prices. 

52 minutes ago, GeorgePlaysAirsoft said:

Tell that to my friend who rolled his ankle on his first game before buying boots with proper ankle support. 

I get that some people prefer trainers, and if you're on a flat CQB site I totally get that, but as a majority of airsoft sites seems to be in vaguely well kept woodland, boots with proper ankle support will save you from a lot of pain and limping, or worse, should you take a misstep on a root or step into a rabbit hole. 

• Supporters
10 minutes ago, MandalShArK said:

Lowa Zypher boots.

I'm on my second pair and they've been brilliant. its an all year round boot too.

They're great if they fit you properly. Super light but just not wide enough for my awkward bloody plates of meat.

If there's a waterproof version of what you have then that's the safest bet.

Bear in mind that all boots & waterproof socks have a hole in them (the bit you put your foot in) so it's also worth making sure there's a good overlap with your trousers or you have gaitors. If it's been raining then brushing against long grass & undergrowth will be where a lot of the water will be coming from.

I also use waterproof socks for mountain biking. They're great up to the point the water starts running down your leg, at which point the sock fills with water. Yes it's warm, but you do realise that while they don't let water in, they also don't let it out. Essentially waterproof socks are a more expensive version of sticking your foot in a plastic bag before you put your boots on.

Personally I have some waterproof boots.

33 minutes ago, Lozart said:

You may just be lucky/have insanely strong ankles but trust me, ankle support is NOT overrated. The type of ankle support offered by most walking boots however...ehhhh...

A properly laced, 8" tall boot WILL make a difference to how well your ankles survive if you happen to turn your foot in a rabbit hole (of course, if you're not playing outdoors it's less likely but still).

This sort of implies that you think that i've never had an ankle injury - and  you'd be right haha. But that is irrelevant i suppose. . Lucky may be true. Insanely strong I'm not so sure but I am firmly of the..opinion (!!) that having strong muscles, ligaments, bones, as well as the mobility for proper range of motion of the ankle is very, very important.

I'm not a "low cut" evangelist, I have just as many high top boots as I do low cut shoes. I basically think 1) there may not be the perfect tool for the job, but there is the best choice of tool for the job 2) everything is a compromise 3) pick your poison. For a day skirmish I do, for myself, do not see the need for a 8 inch tall boot. I would rather be quicker on my feet, with better range of motion bla bla bla. For longer periods climbing steep hills possibly with a rucksack/bergan then yes i would wear a higher top boot but tbh the more i do this sort of the stuff the more i think they are overrated. If you can be bothered to read the scientific literature on this subject (i am not a scientist) you will find this subject is hardly black and white. but thats for another day.

For the record:

• I am not recommending white trainers. that just isnt tactical!
  • I would recommend anyone with a preexisting injury (or not) to absolutely wear whatever support they feel they need
  • Sites can dictate what people wear as i guess they have the insurance to worry about. there's no beef from me there.
  • If you are worried about injuries please don't rely big boots by themselves strength, balance, mobility are really important too, probably more important.  This isn't for being a turbo steroid tier 1 operator, just sensible life advice. its even on the nhs website!

Edited by GeorgePlaysAirsoft

• Supporters
1 minute ago, GeorgePlaysAirsoft said:

This sort of implies that you think that i've never had an ankle injury - and  you'd be right haha. But that is irrelevant i suppose. . Lucky may be true. Insanely strong I'm not so sure but I am firmly of the..opinion (!!) that having strong muscles, ligaments, bones, as well as the mobility for proper range of motion of the ankle is very, very important.

I'm not a "low cut" evangelist, I have just as many high top boots as I do low cut shoes. I basically think 1) there may not be the perfect tool for the job, but there is the best choice of tool for the job 2) everything is a compromise 3) pick your poison. For a day skirmish I do, for myself, do not see the need for a 8 inch tall boot. I would rather be quicker on my feet, with better range of motion bla bla bla. For longer periods climbing steep hills possibly with a rucksack/bergan then yes i would wear a higher top boot but tbh the more i do this sort of the stuff the more i think they are overrated. If you can be bothered to read the scientific literature on this subject (i am not a scientist) you will find this subject is hardly black and white. but thats for another day.

For the record:

• I am not recommending white trainers. that just isnt tactical!
  • I would recommend anyone with a preexisting injury to absolutely wear whatever support they feel they need
  • If you are worried about injuries please don't rely big boots by themselves strength, balance, mobility are really important too, probably more important.  This isn't for being a turbo steroid tier 1 operator, just sensible life advice. its even on the nhs website!

All good points and everybody's mileage will vary, but then I was the kind of biker that puts their leathers on to nip out for a pint of milk so...

(I've also properly torn the ligaments in my ankle before so I have NO desire to repeat that particular slice of shit pie)

• Supporters
55 minutes ago, Lozart said:

I was the kind of biker that puts their leathers on to nip out for a pint of milk

In that context, I've seen some anecdotal suggestions that some big boots can shift damage from the ankle up to more serious knee injuries. However, we're talking rigid MX and skiing boots, and big offs and oofs, I don't think that generally applies to airsoft unless you're jumping into trenches or off of castles and such.  And at that point you want parachute ankle braces anyway, and note that study didn't find any evidence of shifting the damage.

"Be like unto the ninja" is a fair point (fitness thread ahoy), but accidents happen, and I consider ankle support to be fairly effective PPE for a likely injury.

It is an interesting subject because while it might seem like it's just common sense (like wearing seven masks) that ankle support reduces ankle injuries, but there does appear to be a paucity of detailed or controlled studies.  I won't make the sophomoric argument that "The military wouldn't use them if they didn't work!" because it's quite possible that they've never actually done the studies themselves.

• Supporters
18 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

In that context, I've seen some anecdotal suggestions that some big boots can shift damage from the ankle up to more serious knee injuries. However, we're talking rigid MX and skiing boots, and big offs and oofs, I don't think that generally applies to airsoft unless you're jumping into trenches or off of castles and such.  And at that point you want parachute ankle braces anyway, and note that study didn't find any evidence of shifting the damage.

"Be like unto the ninja" is a fair point (fitness thread ahoy), but accidents happen, and I consider ankle support to be fairly effective PPE for a likely injury.

It is an interesting subject because while it might seem like it's just common sense (like wearing seven masks) that ankle support reduces ankle injuries, but there does appear to be a paucity of detailed or controlled studies.  I won't make the sophomoric argument that "The military wouldn't use them if they didn't work!" because it's quite possible that they've never actually done the studies themselves.

Worth bearing in mind that ankle support isn't just about twisting type injury protection. It protects from impacts, reduces fatigue while walking long distances carrying high loads. I'm sure there's plenty of evidence out there given that boot design has come on leaps and bounds since the good old days of leather army boots!

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Lozart said:

I'm sure there's plenty of evidence out there

You'd think, but it's super hard to find.

I mean, in the sense that I didn't turn anything up in 30 seconds and got distracted by something shiny, but I'd love to read something convincing.

I may be old fashioned but I always applied a good treatment of heated Dubbin in the past. now I use G-Wax.  

I find the sweat from waterproof socks leaves my pinkies all wrinkly, and Gortex lined boots OK only for sedate walks, although the Lowas that I picked up this year are not so bad.  

I can only recommend LOWA zephyr and AKU pilgrims for lighter work as these are boots that I've had.  The Lowa's beating the Aku's in both comfort and performance however.

Ive had lots of other lowa's and other brands but they were more winter/mountain boots and not what id recommend for airsoft purposes.

• Supporters
9 hours ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

I may be old fashioned but I always applied a good treatment of heated Dubbin in the past.

Especially around the seams, I use a hair dryer to melt it in there good and proper.  That's why I've never taken to new fangled boots with textile panels, I wouldn't know what to do with them.

• Supporters
14 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

You'd think, but it's super hard to find.

I mean, in the sense that I didn't turn anything up in 30 seconds and got distracted by something shiny, but I'd love to read something convincing.

The vast majority of research stuff online is sports related. There is some good pointers though if you look at taping vs mechanical supports for prevention of ankle injury as they pretty much all come down on the side of mechanical supports (which is basically what having a high leg boot is seeking to do). As mentioned above, strengthening the ankle through exercise is without a doubt the best place to start but that doesn't mean it should be the only route to take. It's also worth mentioning that one article espousing the value of the ASO Ankle brace (on a walking blog) does make the VERY valid point that no matter how good your boots are, if your gait means you are prone to ankle sprains or if you have a weak ankle from previous injury, NO walking boot is going to completely prevent further injury on its own. From a personal viewpoint I think it's worth remembering that walking boots and tactical boots have very different requirements in the way they will be used and it's entirely possible to go hiking in a good pair of trainers as long as you prepare your feet and joints for it first. There is no one "best boot" for everyone and people need to bear in mind when making recommendations that their feet are not the same as anyone else's and that the BEST boots are ones that fit properly.

If you're in any way concerned for the health of your lower extremities, go see a proper podiatrist that can analyse your gait and give good advice. I went through the NHS and ultimately ended up with custom orthotics that have been an absolute god send! (I have very high arches, I supinate and am prone to Plantar Fasciitis)

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/09/2021 at 14:30, Badgerlicious said:

I use a pair of surplus altbergs. £50 and super comfy year round. Any surplus brown boot is going to be great tbh, Alterberg, Haix, Bates, YDS, Iturri . Just make sure you go try them on first with whatever/similar socks you'll be wearing.

Check the soles are still hard and not spongy, wear a pair of thick socks over a pair of thin socks to reduce any chance of blisters. Maybe buy some altberg brown polish and a brush to keep them waterproofed. 

i second this, find a pair of grade 1 surplus army boots, they’ll cost around the £50 mark and for that you’ll be getting an almost new pair of altbergs.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.