G17 gen4 Top slide issue.

AirSniper

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Question about the WE EU17 Gen4.

A very long story short.

The Amomax holster has caused an issue with the EU17.

It would explain the problem with the top slide not properly returning.

What are my options?

It was a fairly cheap pistol at £129 but its only 8 weeks old.

Shop can't replicate the issue experienced.

Not impressed with their final response. It was claimed that the action is normal when I know that it is not as I had been using it for a week prior to giving my son the item and it worked just fine all through NAF and then suddenly, the moment I get an EU17 holster, the pistol starts malfunctioning.

What the shop tried to say is that #pic 1 is normal when #pic 2 is normal IF your magazine is empty, what is not normal is the position of #pic 1 when its the result of the slider snagging on part of the body.

The holster images are the Amomax EU17 (as it was sold to me as) for the EU17 and as you can see, the small size variance is causing the holster to come in contact with the main body of the top slide and the top sight.

I did grease and oil parts to try and limit the problem, however... its still happening.

Any suggestions on how I can adjust the top slide so its going to be like it used to be?

MSG_7878.jpg

MSG_7877.jpg

MSG_7897.jpg

MSG_7902.jpg

Have you taken the slide off to see if there is any obvious damage?

The WE G17 is well known for doing exactly what you are showing, and typically it’s the hammer wheel hanging on the blow back unit.

Does the slide go back into normal position when you give it a little nudge?

The best fix is to replace the hammer wheel with a roller bearing type, or replace the gun for a TM

2 hours ago, rocketdogbert said:

Have you taken the slide off to see if there is any obvious damage?

The WE G17 is well known for doing exactly what you are showing, and typically it’s the hammer wheel hanging on the blow back unit.

Does the slide go back into normal position when you give it a little nudge?

The best fix is to replace the hammer wheel with a roller bearing type, or replace the gun for a TM

Yes, all my others are TM's except this one, it was the only G17 that the store had in stock, so I got one because the one TM he was using, I liked and he wanted a glock.. Guess I will be sourcing a TM G17 for his birthday then...

Pictures show where the slide is rubbing and also catching when it locks open.

The BB is there in one shot to show the position I find BB's in when its playing up.

I don't have a macro lens for close up, this is the best I could do with what I have.

MSG_7880.jpg

MSG_7881.jpg

MSG_7882.jpg

MSG_7883.jpg

MSG_7885.jpg

MSG_7884.jpg

MSG_7886.jpg

MSG_7888.jpg

MSG_7894.jpg

No undue  wear, but in all the glocks ive owned and repaired I’ve never seen a bb get into the hammer mechanism!

Looks like the slide is being lifted, very odd

I’d suggest cleaning it thoroughly, way too much grease and oil in there 

5 hours ago, rocketdogbert said:

No undue  wear, but in all the glocks ive owned and repaired I’ve never seen a bb get into the hammer mechanism!

Looks like the slide is being lifted, very odd

I’d suggest cleaning it thoroughly, way too much grease and oil in there 

Yeah, my bad there.. I was at to see where it is rubbing, its an old engineers trick that is cheap and quick when you run out or the engineers blue or permanent similar product. I'd use a sharpie if I could get the tip in but its one of those big ones.

When its been cycles a few more times, I will see what the grease situation is like, where there is definite bare metal should tell me where the top slide is warped.

I have some others he can use for the time being, I'd like to sort this out myself. Unless I can show the shop any proof of its weirdness, they really don't want to see it again, they didn't say that but it was the vibe I got, didn't appreciate the sniggering between the two youth trying to spin a time served a yarn.

I don't bring issues to the table unless they actually exist. This is what has annoyed me the most, I don't like my time wasted and by that measure, I don't like to waste others time.

I don't suppose you have a source for a full size engineers drawing exploded view of the EU17? The ones in the booklets are too small and blurred, need something that I can zoom in to as I would like to learn how to strip and maintain my own kit.

As you can see from some of those images that the slides have grease on them and no bare metal, the bare metal had grease on them...

I expect some of that to be normal wear, however, some of it doesn't seem to me to be what you would consider normal and IMHO is the result of the slide being warped.

All of the slides of any airsoft pistol are warped to some degree, they’re just cast zinc alloy.

I’m almost certain you’ll find the BBU is worn, probably as a result of a lot of use (not excessive). Put a roller hammer in it and you’re unlikely to have anymore trouble.

As for on-line drawings, for WE your best bet is KYAirsoft, they are the biggest distributor or parts 

https://www.kyairsoft.com

It looks like it already has a roller on the hammer.

The top slide is also rubbing on this spring, which can't be good.

MSG_7904.jpg

MSG_7881-2.jpg

... also, just to test a theory, there is more than enough room in the breech for a BB to make its way in to the hammer action.

I am wondering next, how multiple BB's were being fed in a single shot pistol.

I just can not fathom that bit out.

MSG_7908.jpg

MSG_7909.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks, i have been actuating it daily and firing it daily to get it worked in and there is a point where it binds when the level of the gas is not that low and appears to be causing a performance issue.

I think because its the only WE pistol out the 5 that I have already, that is the difference, the rest are TM and I have been using that as a point of reference.

I stripped the 17 down as far as I dare, cleaned and re-applied lubricants and ... so far its been ok as my lad has not said anything about it not firing properly and we have had two outings with it to sites, so I hope the problem is now fixed.

Still leaves the cause, dirt?, lack of lube? BB's even as I have upped the weight to 0.25g from 0.2g which also may be a factor in providing more slider kick.

IT'S WORKING, I am not complaining and thanks for all the input.

Level 1 complete.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.