Need suggestion to select good airsoft sniper

pistolzone

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

There are a fair few bolt action rifs on the market which are gas driven but as Ed mentioned you will be better served looking at spring powered rifs unless you are looking to use hpa.

• Supporters

First question: have you actually played airsoft?  We generally recommend buying an electric carbine or rifle as a first gun, and if you're in the UK, renting first to get a UKARA or equivalent defence so that you can buy something realistic looking.

Yeah would recommend what @Rogerborg said.

Sniping might look "cool" when you see it on youtube or fb videos, but its an aquired taste and it takes those guys that film a whole day / weekend to get enough "hit" footage to fit a video a few mins long.

10 hours ago, EDcase said:

Spring 😁

AEG and gas are semi auto so DMR's not sniper rifles.

[Internally screams in HPA VSR build]

I will also echo what has already been said, as someone who plays the sniper role all the time; sniping isn't what everyone thinks it is. In truth, it's a lot of doing nothing. It's a lot of lying in stinging nettles. It's a lot of trigger discipline, not taking shots at people either because they're within your MED or you don't have a clear shot and can't risk letting them know you're there. It's a lot of pistol kills. It's a lot of radio chatter. It's a lot of watching a stray leaf or mild breeze knock your shot off course. You can't take gunfights because you will lose to the 13 year old rental with an m4 and a high cap magazine. Every shot you will take has to be at people who don't know where you are, as if they know where you are they can literally dodge your shots at range and suppress you with full auto fire. At the end of the day, we're firing air powered muskets with projectiles that weight less than a gram. 

Also, depending on your site, a 2.3J bolt action rifle can be more of a hindrance than a help. I've totally moved away from using my 2.3J VSR at my local site at the moment because during the summer it gets super overgrown, so that 30m MED just hinders me with no benefit as there simply aren't long enough sight lines.

Sniping is more of a role than a rifle, much like designated marksman is a role, not a rifle, we just use those terms as an easy way to differentiate power limits. I would call my HPA m21 a "sniper rifle" but it's kept at 1.1J like any AEG so I have no MED with it. You can fulfill the "sniper" role with an AEG for the most part, and if you're playing it properly having someone out of range isn't an issue because you just wait for them to take a few steps forward as they should have no idea you're watching them. I will always advise people play the sniper role with their AEG first (hypocritcally because my first RIF was a bolt action rifle) and see if they enjoy it before investing, as it's typically quite expensive. It's a very rewarding way to play, but it's a very different way to play. It's very much not for everyone.

Questions one person posed to my son who wants to jump right in to sniper role...

How long have you been playing airsoft?

How many are in your team that you are in?

To which his responses showed he lacked both experience in the sport as well as lacking a team.

In confidence a long time player and ex military guy said he lacks discipline and showed me footage which I was grateful for as he was confronted both by me and the guy with the evidence as far as some of his game play conduct not being compatible with the objective of the game in play.

I'd say give a couple of years before you consider it and save up for the beast you want.

As for which one, if you still insist on jumping in immediately, then the advice is to hire site rifles and see how it goes as you may find you spend £500 and wish you had bought other RIF's instead.

Seen more than a few adverts for snipers that are hardly used for sale... Think about why that is.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.