airsoft things you don't understand

Adolf Hamster

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Seriously naff patches.  

Standing around chatting for half the game.

'Cold War' games that have a cut off date for kit in '91.  Tell the people of the Pridnestrovian Moldavian Republic, Cuba, Venezuela, Belarus, China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Namibia, Angola, Brazil, Honduras, Syria, Nepal, Bolivia etc that the Cold War ended in '91.   

Moaning.  If I wanted to hear a load of moaning on a Sunday afternoon I'd stay home and ignore the state of the grass, need for paint on the back door and long forgotten agreements to see 'friends.'   (Just kidding, I get encouraged to do what I enjoy.)

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Fatboy40 said:

Dressing up in full BTP camo when playing in a well lit CQB game, WTF?

see i can understand that, you see the reverse with folk in black outdoors, it's just the crossover between majority indoor/outdoor players having a dabble at the other side but can't be bothered buying new kit just to play indoors/outdoors.

9 hours ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

Moaning.

cmon man, moaning about things we don't like is a national institution :P

Revolvers can be a bit meh in Airsoft terms. Shooting accurately always best used single action as much as where possible due to trigger pull and fractional differences in cylinder and it timing even on high-end models. Tanakas are nice shooters and good models but as stock sound really pathetic. Hi flow them and you get a little more noise at least. That said my high outputted shot shell kwc python really keeps heads down. Plus it's very pleasing to take people out with a revolver. I don't get hpa M4 mags in pistols. I understand it has its place in speedqb type stuff where they are allowed to spam every corner as they go round it but not for regular skirmish. The only pay off I see is the reliable cold weather performance, which my current pistols already do on black gas for when it's cold. I don't need 100 plus bbs without reloading. I'd rather not be tetherd to my gun with the extra bulk of a tank. 

Why people need in excess of 1 hour for a lunch break at a game day. 

Adult players who get angry when younger/new players are confused or maybe staying a little behind so they dont get hit as much. I don't get what they gain from shouting at these newer players to push up while they themselves, in all their gucci gear, are the furthest back.

But most of all, people who pre-fire the hell out of CQB like its CSGO. Pet hate of mine, don't understand what they really gain from it other than looking like a knob and using a load of ammo/gas. Luckily it seems to be mostly a stateside thing, along with their bang bang rule. 

7 minutes ago, JamesAirsofterAgent said:

Heck yea can they make that a rule where people are only allowed so long in safe area unless injured or damaged gun as you end up with half the team missing else for most of day.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Greg147 said:

People standing in the open at the back firing shots from 80m+. I mean, if you feel safe enough to stand in the open without getting hit, chances are your rounds aren't doing much different on the other end... 😂

whilst i get the sentiment, not everyone standing out of range of the enemy is incapable of engaging effectively.

but yes a lot of folks do this.

14 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

the kriss vector- not the gun in general or why people would use it, but why they're all so unreasonably heavy, seriously are they making those things out of depleted uranium or something?

Me neither, bloody awful things 🤣🤣

Patches.....i can understand event patches its the patch walls i cannot understand. Full disclosure, I do have a handfull of patches - a couple of deadpool crossovers a fb group patch, event patch and a couple of freebiees from said event.

However, when i look at patchwalls or inside guncase displays i just think 'there is a guns worth of patches there.. ..'

Agreed with moaning/not playing.

But what i truly dont get is how people turn up to sites late or only start prepping when called out tp gamezone. These people fuck me off the most as i dont understand why you wouldnt get a whole days worth of shooting...

3 minutes ago, Jaylordofwaargh said:

But what i truly dont get is how people turn up to sites late or only start prepping when called out tp gamezone. These people fuck me off the most as i dont understand why you wouldnt get a whole days worth of shooting...

I mean, people could have ran late, stuck in traffic etc but I get where your coming from.

One of my major annoyances is people arriving late to the cinema. Why would you pay for a movie to arrive late missing some of it.

anyway back to Airsoft.

My main thing is the amount of sitting time you get at a lot of sites, lunch included. The mall gave you 45 mins and was clear, you miss the game brief your not playing. And had a short turnaround in between games.

some sites seem to run 60% safe zone to 40% game zone action some days it seems which is really annoying.

late starts piss me off too. I get up early on a Sunday to travel into the countryside to then have to sit around for over an hour as the safety brief isn’t until 10am even through the website said arrive by 8.30. What’s that all about!!

1 minute ago, Albiscuit said:

late starts piss me off too. I get up early on a Sunday to travel into the countryside to then have to sit around for over an hour as the safety brief isn’t until 10am even through the website said arrive by 8.30. What’s that all about!!

Yep had it a few times where we'll turn up at 8am as advised, then first game starts at 11:30...............

2 hours ago, Leonine said:

Heck yea can they make that a rule where people are only allowed so long in safe area unless injured or damaged gun as you end up with half the team missing else for most of day.

Bane of a marshals day is trying to get people to move for the next game. Tell them with plenty of notice to bomb up at lunch half of the players loading up during the next brief. Need a wavier so we can use cattle prods to get late players shifted.

2 minutes ago, BigStew said:

Bane of a marshals day is trying to get people to move for the next game. Tell them with plenty of notice to bomb up at lunch half of the players loading up during the next brief. Need a wavier so we can use cattle prods to get late players shifted.

One of the marshalls at Bristol has a shame bell on their phone that they use, if you're still faffing when its brief time then shame on you...

What don't I understand...

Ghillies in the summer. Like, it's hot, and wearing a full suit makes it even hotter. Plus, they're not entirely necessary in airsoft anyway. I take the hot weather as an opportunity to practice my camo and concealment fieldcraft, because IT'S HOT ALREADY.

Also people who yell at me to push up. With a boltie. In a ghillie if it's cooler weather. Because clearly I've designed my loadout for fast, aggressive pushes at the front of the team. What do they think I'm going to achieve with my mk23?

@Adolf Hamster has already mentioned late starts and overly long briefs. If you need a special brief for newbs/rental, do it separately, tell them to come earlier, I don’t care, but don’t take 1hr for a brief just because you need to explain fundamental principles of shooting BBs to 5 people when the party is 120 strong.

I don’t get power players, hyped up on adrenaline, who consistently do not take their shots and jump left and right dodging BBs when they get visibly and audibly hit then banged with a frag (or a few). Goddamn John Wick wannabes. What’s the point? You wanna piss off a few other guys so they spray you till you take your hits? Bad outcome for everyone.

Why sites have a single fire system, while shooting in and out of buildings.

I get single fire inside. It's sad that people are more delicate these days and cry if they get lit up but i accept that single fire helps reduce this and can allow for a better flow of game. Fine.

What i don't understand is how if the guy is standing by a building, you can light him up.
If he then moves into the building and into cover, you are only allowed to single at him. 

If a guy is standing in the middle of the open, you can light him up.
Same guy, if you are in the upstairs of a building, you have to single pew. 

Stupid logic that makes no sense. 

• Supporters
10 hours ago, JamesAirsofterAgent said:

This. The only thing that regularly grinds my gears is the number of folk who pay to play airsoft, then find every possible excuse to not play airsoft.

Smoke breaks, phone breaks, bantering while they should be bombing up, marshals and site owners who would rather chat the day away rather than getting things moving.

A "whole day" of airsoft tends to be 10am to 4pm, with a 2 hour lunch and 20-30 minutes between games. We're lucky if we get 3 hours of actual play out of a day.

23 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

so premise of this is what things in airsoft do you not "get", and why?

i'll start off with a couple-

patches- i really don't get it, especially people who seem to collect them and get properly excited when they see a new patch. doubly so when you see people using the patches you get with bits of kit like airsoft innovations or gate products or from sites.

painting desert camo- i'm not a fan of painting stuff in general, but i can get why folk would want to paint camo to make a gun more concealable, or painting crazy designs as an artistic expression, but painting desert camo just confuses me because you're not really getting any artistic benefit (no more than painting it an appropriate woodland camo) but you are making the gun stand out. note i'm not counting people doing it as part of a specific impression loadout, that's understandable.

the kriss vector- not the gun in general or why people would use it, but why they're all so unreasonably heavy, seriously are they making those things out of depleted uranium or something?

revolvers- or more correctly how anyone can fire one and not be immediately dissapointed......

With you on the whole painting guns thing

Why people are happy to pay £30+ not including fuel, bb’s, gas and everything in between to spend the day…for lack of a better phrase, floating.

You get out what you put in and I find a lot of people moaning they had a crap / slow day are the ones that float and never get stuck in.

22 hours ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

'Cold War' games that have a cut off date for kit in '91.  Tell the people of the Pridnestrovian Moldavian Republic, Cuba, Venezuela, Belarus, China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Namibia, Angola, Brazil, Honduras, Syria, Nepal, Bolivia etc that the Cold War ended in '91.   

Re Cold War games - there is a background scenario happening - we are at I think 1986.....in the Gunman Games.  Also, the scenario is European centric largely though the next game is involving the Chinese too

Edited by EvilMonkee

I do get that mate.  For one my inner historian gets wound up (despite knowing that other interpretations are available).  Secondly I had a girlfriend who lived in Serbia in 1991.  What she described still hits a nerve.  

The Gunman games are fantastic, and certainly unspoiled by my personal whims etc.  My own Cold War kit is indeed all pre-1991...

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.