Ambidextrous v2 Gearboxes, Any Reason To Be Fearful Of Them?

Fatboy40

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Playing with airsoft I'm getting closer to the point where I'll be disassembling v2 gearboxes, replacing internal parts, and probably installing a GATE Aster or Titan.

There are a few different guns I'll be considering working on, for various reasons, and a some of these out of the box have ambidextrous fire selectors. What I initially assumed would be complex now looks simple, just two small gears on each side sat in recesses and a notched bar running through the gearbox to the rear of the trigger connecting each set.

I'm still wondering though, are there any reasons why I should be fearful of an ambidextrous gearbox?

• Supporters

it's extra complexity piled on top of what's already an annoying clockwork nightmare of bits and springs that's hell bent on escape.

it might not appear too complex on the face of it, but that exponentially adds when you consider the multiple disassembly/reassembly operations you're going to end up doing.

given that all you're getting is a control you don't want to over-use lest it break it's much easier to just avoid, especially if you're part of the 90% of the human race who is correct handed.

after all, pretty much everybody switches off safe when the whistle blows and stays in one preferred fire mode (or in the case of cqb/dmr's decreed fire mode) pretty much the entire time until the whistle blows again when it's back to safe. can't say i've ever seen folk constantly flipping fire modes on the fly except in that particular kind of youtube video that insists on dragging things out by making every shoulder transition a multi-angle slow-mo shot.

• Supporters

It's really not all that big of a deal. Gear on one side drives a rod that connects to a gear on the other side.

It's not like it's a v7 box or anything! 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.