Handgun primary, does anybody do it?

Wavey_Gravey

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

As per title,

Does anybody run a handgun in place of a long on game day?

Bar the obvious limitations, does it still make for an enjoyable experience?

Not really talking hi-capa with a tank attached, more like a standard TM and a stack of mags.

Do you mean woodland or indoor CQB?

Especially in woodland you'd likely need to be fit and use a very aggressive/sneaky play style. I wouldn't attempt it if you're more the type who hangs near the back to middle. I have pistols which shoot 50m but obviously they're less accurate, don't penetrate foliage as well and only have 25 round mags.

Edited by Cr0-Magnon

19 minutes ago, John_W said:

I remember Matt Dean/Mobius Strip used to run a pair of tuned  Infinities at a woodland site and he was lethal with them.

Ah yes, 

He's got several 1911's that are equally as lethal 😆

While I normally play with a sidearm only when I’ve run my primary dry, I get more and more into “pistol-only” load out. Recently acquired a TM HK45 and a few mags, and man... I had a blast playing an entire afternoon with it in the Woodlands of Ground Zero during NAF2021.

I think I got more kills with HK45 than with my trusty SG 553, which has been kitted out internally like there’s no tomorrow. I also have a CZ P-09 and that beast is deadly, even at a moderate distance.

I wouldn’t recommend it for a typical flat woodlands, you simply won’t have the distance to reach most people with AEGs, but if you’re going somewhere like Anzio Camp, with a mix of woodland, bushes and buildings, then I’ve seen a few people being more deadly with a single pistol than a whole regiment of typical snipers...

Edited by shadowfacex

CQB Yes as I really enjoy using my pistol (KJW M9 GBB) and dreamed of owning it for about 5 years, so any chance to use it is a yes yes yes. I dont think it provides too much advantage over anyone using a cqb rifle setup, if any but it does feel awfully nice :D especially when reloading (even though 90% of the time my 'tac' reload involves me fiddling about trying to open the velcro, and put the mag in for what seems an eternity) 

• Supporters

seen it plenty of times, normally someone ditches their primary near the end of the day and runs around pistol only for a bit of a change.

even done it myself a couple of times, although even a straight shooting pistol is a challenge when you're not very good at pistol shooting.

ofc some folks do run pistol only all the time, mainly indoors but sometimes outdoors. craziest i've seen was a guy who ran pistol only outdoors, but he evidently subscribed to the blackbeard school of reloads- carry half a dozen pistols and just draw a fresh one when your empty.....

I've done it before in woodland with my TM mk23 and played stealthy, since it fires as far as an AEG no problem, but is also very quiet. It was great fun, channeling my inner Solid Snake! I imagine it'd work in CQB pretty darn well, since engagement distances are a lot closer, and having such a small gun will help your mobility when navigating and clearing rooms.

Edited by Impulse

I did unintentionally once when my Sniper rifle failed.

Charged into battle with just my pistol drawn and one of the marshal's said "ooh, that's brave" lol

• Supporters

Indoor CQB, sure, all day long.  I quite fancy running pistol on Sunday, maybe a bit of shotgun as well.

I play at a smallish woodland site as well with plenty of cover and structures, and some mutual objective rushing. We've done a few mass pistol charges on the castle, great fun.

It's very much site site and situation dependent.

A member of the team I play with, runs a pistol only. He just hides in a bush and waits for people to walk past and shoot them or in corners of buildings with the pistol pointed at the door 😂

Yep have done a long time. As said mk23 is very effective with the right mods. Running at 350 or as dmr/DMP if sites allow. It makes little difference. Have a mk23 carbine I never use as I prefer the maneuverability . I always carry my hk45 and uspc too. Gbb is Much better for close work. I often like to take out my more fancy bits in cqb like Tanakas and marushin . Nothing as satisfying as capping someone with an 8mm cop or derringer. Or turning a tight corner with an m29 and the poor soul is nose to barrel with his gun down. I didn't shoot him, I'm nice like that. My typical cqb tactical dungeree load out.

81586346_1210702279124167_8763838857197125632_o.jpg.183f7620a94625f7db87f7f8c62181e2.jpg

Edited by heroshark

• Head Moderator

Yes, I have used a Mk23 as only gun for CQB. As mentioned, with Crazy jet barrel and upgrades, it is a perfect choice due to its range and low noise output. 

I also feel the need to also bring to the fore that running a bolt action rifle often feels like pistol primary, rifle secondary. So many game days where I get like 5 kills with the BASR, but 20+ with the pistol 🤣

I really enjoy ditching my primary and whipping a pistol out. 

Like mentioned already, it's site dependant. I've seen a few guys at Anzio and Leicester Gaol dominate with a Hi Capa.

I'm thinking of extending my pistol collection. I very nearly bought the 4" Dan wesson revolver (prefer the 2.5" but couldn't find one in the right colour) but bottled it last minute for fear of never using it and the fact I need a new slide for my 4.3 Hi Capa!

I sometimes only use my Glock for a game or two, but not for a whole day at a woodland site. Adds another aspect to the game using a pistol only.

• Supporters
11 hours ago, Leonine said:

A member of the team I play with, runs a pistol only. He just hides in a bush and waits for people to walk past and shoot them or in corners of buildings with the pistol pointed at the door 😂

also known as the "sentient landmine" approach to airsoft.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.