Boafeng UV-5R Radios for airsoft & courses for license

JamesAirsofterAgent

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Thank you both, you've been incredibly helpful. Personally I'm quite interested in the ham stuff as I know my grandad is also. I've signed up for the 3 week Essex ham course so I can learn what's required to pass the amateur exam and get the 27 pound license, so that shouldn't be an issue. I think I might go for the 8w version as mountain biking we do get quite split up if it's a longer trail with everyone going at their own pace. Just got to convince my friends to get it now and do the course so they have the knowledge too 😁

Thanks both for the help

• Supporters
10 hours ago, JamesAirsofterAgent said:

Thank you both, you've been incredibly helpful. Personally I'm quite interested in the ham stuff as I know my grandad is also. I've signed up for the 3 week Essex ham course so I can learn what's required to pass the amateur exam and get the 27 pound license, so that shouldn't be an issue. I think I might go for the 8w version as mountain biking we do get quite split up if it's a longer trail with everyone going at their own pace. Just got to convince my friends to get it now and do the course so they have the knowledge too 😁

Thanks both for the help

Not sure on the Ham licences but the business ones only licence you up to 5W. Plus, I'm not sure where you go mountain biking but unless your mates are in another country I can't see you needing 8W!

4 hours ago, Lozart said:

Not sure on the Ham licences but the business ones only licence you up to 5W. Plus, I'm not sure where you go mountain biking but unless your mates are in another country I can't see you needing 8W!

A Ham foundation licence allows up to 10 watts.

That won’t be needed to keep contact with a group day out, but will help for James’ ambitions of taking up Amateur radio as a shared family hobby too

Breaker breaker, 19, Smokey’s eating doughnuts off the A303 *

* of course Ham operators don’t go in for that, they are the ‘serious’ side of radio hobby’s 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Tommikka said:

Breaker breaker, 19, Smokey’s eating doughnuts off the A303 *

I would note that CB sets remain available, and are completely licence free now.  They operate around the 27Mhz band, notionally at 4W (but are, or were, regularly boosted way over that) and run expensive compared to the 400Mhz+ handsets.  I haven't seen handheld units for sale, although there's no reason why one couldn't be produced, the only technical issue being that the antennae need to be longer than for 400Mhz+.

I have no idea if anyone is still using them. I haven't used one since 1990 or so, when it went toxic and folk just started playing music or shit-talking all over the CB channels.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0022/84406/citizens-band.pdf

2 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

I would note that CB sets remain available, and are completely licence free now.  They operate around the 27Mhz band, notionally at 4W (but are, or were, regularly boosted way over that) and run expensive compared to the 400Mhz+ handsets.  I haven't seen handheld units for sale, although there's no reason why one couldn't be produced, the only technical issue being that the antennae need to be longer than for 400Mhz+.

I have no idea if anyone is still using them. I haven't used one since 1990 or so, when it went toxic and folk just started playing music or shit-talking all over the CB channels.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0022/84406/citizens-band.pdf

That’s interesting to know - but I also have not had any use of a CB since probably the 90s

My CB memories are:

1) All my uncles had them in Orkney and would gather in kitchens playing the fiddle & accordion across the airwaves

2) Sat on the driveway in someone’s dad or big brothers car annoying truckers.

They never wanted to talk to annoying teenage boys, but they stayed on the channel when we had teenage girls with us. (Which begs the question as to why we were playing with CBs when sat in cars with teenage girls

3) Pre mobile phones we once ended up sat in a truckers cab whilst he tried to raise someone on the CB who could access a phone and call out the AA to a car breakdown 

GAh yes the good old days of citizens band radio.

I was heavily into it and had many rigs over the years base station and mobile and portable.

My favourite was a ham International jumbo base station connected to a forty foot high motorised beam aerial. Had contacts across Europe and when the 'skip' was running had qsl with America. I had a bit of help though by way of a 50watt burner lol.

Still got all my qsl cards in albums.

From my car rig I regularly had contact with a chap in Firenze (italy) as clear as a mobile phone. We became good friends. 

But yes in later years the hobby degenerated into one big wind up.

Wish I hadn't sold my jumbo though. They are getting rare now and are fetching a fair old wedge!

Regards 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.