guinness world record longest airsoft shot

Daveoc33

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

This isn't new news I'm afraid - it was publicised in March this year but I thought I'd post in case it's of interest.

81m is the guinness world record for a sub 1 joule airsoft rifle using less than 0.32g bbs. The video is a reproduction rather than the actual record being broken and it's in itallian. From what I can tell using google translate he used the following setup to do this:

g&g sbr tr16 mk1
zero-shock piston (green)
double lapping stainless steel cylinder
275mm "diamond" barrel
blue hop rubber "without internal groove and without internal hump"
he mentions Omega but it's not clear if this is an omega nub or not
he also mentions the word "flat" but it's not clear to me if this is a flat hop or just a description of the hop rubber.

a bag of g&g bbs I think

Looks like you can buy most of this stuff at this guy's shop which is lucky...

They don't go into how many shots it took him to do this and I wonder what kind of a tail wind the record breaking bb had when it hit the target. Good on him though. It sets the bar at least.

• Supporters

This is like a reenactment of the world's longest dick measuring contest, with the usual spats over top-or-bottom, shaft-vs-balls.

Incidentally, none of these rules/guidelines appear to be listed on the Guinness site. https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/96291-longest-airsoft-target-shot

1 minute ago, Rogerborg said:

This is like a reenactment of the world's longest dick measuring contest, with the usual spats over top-or-bottom, shaft-vs-balls.

Incidentally, none of these rules/guidelines appear to be listed on the Guinness site. https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/96291-longest-airsoft-target-shot

Guinness confirmed, but won’t list my measurements as they deem that world record to be ‘inappropriate’ 

Many records these days are about trying to find something that hasn’t been  listed before, so if you have some reasonable criteria than you have an instant record - and when you’re beat at least you were first.

The other is about hype and advertising.  The ‘longest’ paintball shot has existed in a few ways, such as the worlds longest shot - but unofficial because it was just a side ‘competition’ at an event

Then a few organisers do it as well and either try to refine it guaranteeing a new ‘longest’ shot or  they just make a traders puff with claims and ignore anything else

One might go to the bother of booking an official adjudicator to turn up and gain the official longest shot

These go hand in hand with publicity stunt ‘advertising’ such as the guy who got all the Daily Mail headlines with a paintball tester job vacancy at £50000 per year ….. plus small print - zero hours contract hourly rate equivalent to £50000 per annum

The job being a Marshall / gopher zero hours contract including a photo opportunity getting shot for the Daily Mail follow up story 

On another tack though…. 81.1 metres is nothing

Everyone should be queuing up with their ninja springer snipers from Bbguns4less that can shoot a nats left testical at 500 miles 

• Supporters

am i the only one thinking that's heavy looking paper for a sub 1j bb to be penetrating at that range.....

edit:

some of the excel equivalent of back of a fag packet calculations suggest for a 0.48g bb we're talking ~0.07j of energy at 81m (assuming still air of ρ=1.225kg/m³ and constant drag coefficient of 0.45 for laminar flow (which iirc i remember checking and apparently it is for our energy levels))

Hard to tell from the editing but did it take all those shots to get a hit?

Its quite an impressive range no doubt.

As I understand it, you just have to pay Guinness a rather hefty fee to come and 'witness' your record attempt.

• Supporters

Mmm, if I wanted to beat it, I'd just point the GNU up in the air a bit, lob high cap after high cap, and wait for airsoft random magic (and the wind) to do its thing.

• Supporters
8 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Mmm, if I wanted to beat it, I'd just point the GNU up in the air a bit, lob high cap after high cap, and wait for airsoft random magic (and the wind) to do its thing.

must say i'm inclined to agree.

i'd even put money on it, just not as much money as Guinness charges, which is kinda the point with records like this.

Is that all? People are always talking about shooting further than that and the opposition not taking the hit in the safe zone..... oh wait!...

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Albiscuit said:

People are always talking about shooting further than that and the opposition not taking the hit

Ah, but this is only a 1J BB.

Wait, surely using Airsoft Science, you'd get even more range from a 0.8J BB.  (From a TM recoil, of course)

• Supporters
8 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Wait, surely using Airsoft Science, you'd get even more range from a 0.8J BB.  (From a TM recoil, of course)

not just recoils, any tm will outrange anything at 0.8j. except the vsr10, those need stronger springs apparently.

8 hours ago, EDcase said:

As I understand it, you just have to pay Guinness a rather hefty fee to come and 'witness' your record attempt.

As someone who tried to get them to come and certify a world record I can confirm this is not the case, they generally tell you that yours is too silly (really?! Have you seen some of the stuff they certify?) and then threaten legal action if you call it a "world record" with out them verifying it (even if you never mention the G word) 

Last email to them was pretty much summed up as "Go away in small, jerky movements' :)

• Supporters
1 hour ago, SSPKali said:

then threaten legal action if you call it a "world record" with out them verifying it (even if you never mention the G word) 

yeah heard of this too.

seems they've fallen quite far into the well of dirty tactics since the internet made finding out records from the original source much easier to find.

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/09/2021 at 11:05, Adolf Hamster said:

am i the only one thinking that's heavy looking paper for a sub 1j bb to be penetrating at that range.....

edit:

some of the excel equivalent of back of a fag packet calculations suggest for a 0.48g bb we're talking ~0.07j of energy at 81m (assuming still air of ρ=1.225kg/m³ and constant drag coefficient of 0.45 for laminar flow (which iirc i remember checking and apparently it is for our energy levels))

Sorry nodded off there

• 1 year later...
On 08/09/2021 at 08:39, Daveoc33 said:

This isn't new news I'm afraid - it was publicised in March this year but I thought I'd post in case it's of interest.

81m is the guinness world record for a sub 1 joule airsoft rifle using less than 0.32g bbs. The video is a reproduction rather than the actual record being broken and it's in itallian. From what I can tell using google translate he used the following setup to do this:

g&g sbr tr16 mk1
zero-shock piston (green)
double lapping stainless steel cylinder
275mm "diamond" barrel
blue hop rubber "without internal groove and without internal hump"
he mentions Omega but it's not clear if this is an omega nub or not
he also mentions the word "flat" but it's not clear to me if this is a flat hop or just a description of the hop rubber.

a bag of g&g bbs I think

Looks like you can buy most of this stuff at this guy's shop which is lucky...

They don't go into how many shots it took him to do this and I wonder what kind of a tail wind the record breaking bb had when it hit the target. Good on him though. It sets the bar at least.

Im a marshal for my local site been doing it 3 or 4 years now, If you watch the video more carefully, when they Chrono the .32 bb the chrono weight hasn't been changed to suit ( .95 joules on .2) 

18 hours ago, JayFive said:
On 08/09/2021 at 08:39, Daveoc33 said:

Im a marshal for my local site been doing it 3 or 4 years now, If you watch the video more carefully, when they Chrono the .32 bb the chrono weight hasn't been changed to suit ( .95 joules on .2) 

So 98m/s on a 0.32g BB = 1.54J *

Bunch of muppets. Are you going to tell them or am I?

*According to: https://www.zerooneairsoft.com/airsoft-fps-calculator

The website doesn’t list the specifics

https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/96291-longest-airsoft-target-shot

…. and the video is a ‘recreation’, so the video contents may or may not differ from the ‘real’ attempt

Official records will usually have a set of rules (such as the settings and also I would guess a flat horizontal shot to avoid tricks such as angling upwards to add range)

However, it is all of course a PR stunt with all the parts used being available to buy from the record holder

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Tommikka said:

I would guess a flat horizontal shot to avoid tricks such as angling upwards to add range)

I can't imagine a practical way to measure or enforce that, which is why I suggested a ballistic lob, spray, and pray.

2 hours ago, Tommikka said:

However, it is all of course a PR stunt with all the parts used being available to buy from the record holder

Heh, good spot, I hadn't even noticed that.  Well, now it makes "sense", although I'm surprised Novritsch hasn't got in on it.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.