Recommendations for a decent assault rifle

Shadowfox

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Evening,

I am new to airsoft been three times now and love it. I have hired equipment at the sites when I have gone. Looking at getting my own now. Just wanted some recommendations on what manafucters are good and if there is a per specific assault rifle that's good for a new comer. Obviously don't want to spend bucket loads of cash. Max £300 on the gun and obviously would like to be able to add sights .etc and all that cool stuff to it. Thanks in advance for any feedback or advice. 

Then new cyma platinum series may be a good place to start :)  My first aeg was a cyma ak and it was awesome haha 

I went with the theory of that if you buy cheap you buy twice 

welcome to the sport it’s good to see new players asking for advice, there is alot of threads on this forum that helped me when I first started out 

Welcome Shadowfox.

As CRTHayes said, CYMA is a good make (No experience with the Platinum).  Others to look at are JG, G&G and SpecnaArms.

Its really up to you to choose a rifle style you like.  Obviously the M4/AR15 is the post popular to add accessories but there are many others available too.

Look around the online shops to see what grabs your interest... (Unfortunately stock is very low in general at the moment)

£300 is plenty to get a decent first RIF but don't forget to set aside an amount for other essentials:

- Eye protection. THE most important part. Not only to get good protection but reduce fogging as much as possible.

- Boots with good ankle support.

- Webbing or some load carrying setup to carry ammo etc.

- Magazines. You'll need a few depending if you go for high or mid capacity.

- Batteries.  A couple of LiPo batteries to last the day.

- and a good charger to keep the batteries healthy and not burn down the house.

There are many posts regarding all these elements so best do a lot of searching and reading 😉

• Supporters
8 hours ago, CRTHayes said:

I went with the theory of that if you buy cheap you buy twice 

I went with the theory that if I buy cheap, I can buy twice, or three times, and it's worked out pretty well so far. ;)

Less flippantly, I really would prefer to have a CYMA and a JG with me than one VFC or Krytac, as having a backup / loaner gun has saved the day more than once.

And +1 to the above: CYMA, JG, G&G and Specna Arms are the default choices.  I'd flag up that the cheapest <£100 CYMAs have pretty toyish feeling plastic bodies (although the internals are robust enough).

M4, AK, G36, MP5, whatever rocks your boat.  The CYMA M14 also gets a lot of love, although its trickier to work on.

Given stock levels at the moment, you'll be limited by what's available, mind.

CYMA is good.  What ever you decide to do try and buy something that has a mostly metal body.  I witenessed last weekend someone tripping over a log, then cart wheelled, following buy is nice AEG exploding into pieces all over the place.  We checked upon him and he was alright but it took a while to pick up all the smashed reciever body parts.  It is the first time I have seen an M4 in so many places at teh same time!

• Supporters
11 minutes ago, Sneaky said:

What ever you decide to do try and buy something that has a mostly metal body.

Eh.  I'd bet on decent plastic over random sintered pot metal. In particular, the JG G36 is a pretty robust plastic fantastic, with no obvious weak points, unlike the back of the lower receiver, above the grip, on an M4.

Would be interesting to see a test comparing 'plastic' and 'metal' bodies.

I would guess the plastic to be a bit more resilient because it has more flex and the weapon would be lighter so less inertia on impact.

I still prefer metal though 😏

• Head Moderator

Welcome :).

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.