New to Airsoft

Scorp

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi peeps,

I'm looking into airsoft after seeing an m4 platform for sale at a market on Sunday. I'm from South Africa but living in the North West. Have interested in and been around guns and shooting forever, from school shooting team to carrying a .45 for self defence. I've shot most of the common platforms, loved the M4 due to its carry and shoot all day weight, unlike the FAL which is a right metal pig but hits hard.

Played quite a bit of paintball back in the day, but after seeing how stunning some of these replicas are and the fun folks are having on YouTube ima dip my toe in at my local Airsoft range.

I think I'm sold on a used Cyma or even Specna as they seem excellent quality for the price, ...any other suggestions are welcome for an accurate and reliable full metal M4 type CQB and general outdoors??

Cheers

Scott

Welcome Scott,

Sounds like you have a good plan to start at your local site 👍

Yes, CYMA and Specna are good makes.

Be careful buying second hand because its quite common for people to modify their guns and often mess them up so they sell them instead.

Beware of sales with 'upgraded' in the description unless you can validate them.

Best thing to do now is read lots of the posts on the forum because most questions have already been answered and there may be things you haven't thought of yet.

Edited by EDcase

1 hour ago, EDcase said:

Welcome Scott,

Sounds like you have a good plan to start at your local site 👍

Yes, CYMA and Specna are good makes.

Be careful buying second hand because its quite common for people to modify their guns and often mess them up so they sell them instead.

Best thing to do now is read lots of the posts on the forum because most questions have already been answered and there may be things you haven't thought of yet.

Thanks for the warm welcome and advice! 

Hi @Scorp 👋

Welcome to the forum, full of advice and like minded players! 🔫🤪👍

Good luck getting started! 🤞👍

💷GAMBLE💷

Welcome to the forum @Scorp

As per my previous posts in other topics, make sure you dont skimp out on getting decent eye protection and get some boots with ankle suppor (your ankles will thank you later!) before you start spending money on guns.

Ideally, try rental before buying your guns, to see if airsoft is for you because unlike paintball that

In the meantime, checkout @GAMBLE's videos here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL-V_yVApaCpm096XBAQE1A/videos to give you a more realistic insight to airsoft than the clickbaity ones on youtube.

15 hours ago, Brophy said:

Welcome to the forum @Scorp

As per my previous posts in other topics, make sure you dont skimp out on getting decent eye protection and get some boots with ankle suppor (your ankles will thank you later!) before you start spending money on guns.

Ideally, try rental before buying your guns, to see if airsoft is for you because unlike paintball that

In the meantime, checkout @GAMBLE's videos here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL-V_yVApaCpm096XBAQE1A/videos to give you a more realistic insight to airsoft than the clickbaity ones on youtube.

Cheers that's excellent advice, thanks very much.. and for the link.

I actually have started looking at gear. I think I'm settled on the Lowa Zephyr GTX boots... but face, head and eye protection is going to need a looot more research it seems, there seem to be so many combos all the way to the HALO looking, but apparently the best performing Dye style full face protection.

lowa-zephyr-gtx-mid-tf-wolf-grey-waterproof-gore-tex-tactical-boot-wolf-grey-uk-7-6797999472683_760x760.jpg

Hi @Scorp 👋

Just watch your budget getting into this, depending on what you have in mind? 🤔👍

Thanks @Brophy for the mention! 🔫😎👍

💷GAMBLE💷

Dont need to go "full face mask" unless you want to get some fans/ventilation on the go to stop it fogging up like the car on the sex scene on Titanic.

I went glasses (with a combo of "cat crap" anti fog paste, yes its a real thing) and a mouth guard similar to this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07RDK983J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

• Supporters

Ahoy and welcome. Yup, you're on the sensible track (well, as sensible as playing with toy guns can be).

I would recommend full face for CQB and Dye i4/i5 are a solid choice: you don't want to take a big hairy bloke's load point blank in your mouth.

Whaaat?  This is my straight face.

image.png.109c23df0ccfc05e26e79a9858eeb06e.png

On 09/09/2021 at 16:34, GAMBLE said:

Hi @Scorp 👋

Just watch your budget getting into this, depending on what you have in mind? 🤔👍

Thanks @Brophy for the mention! 🔫😎👍

💷GAMBLE💷

@GAMBLE, I see what you mean, I'd better watch myself its getting out of hand already, 😬 😬😁 hahaha (hysterical laughter) ..the market seems big and busy so I shouldn't have a problem swapping or selling as I go.

I've been watching your vids flat out now, absolutely awesome stuff, very good for beginners indeed, hope you keep it up!..  thanks to @Brophy  for the link.

On 10/09/2021 at 09:44, Brophy said:

Dont need to go "full face mask" unless you want to get some fans/ventilation on the go to stop it fogging up like the car on the sex scene on Titanic.

I went glasses (with a combo of "cat crap" anti fog paste, yes its a real thing) and a mouth guard similar to this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07RDK983J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Righto, good advice, ta!

I've found remarkably cheap PPE with the required rating for high speed projectiles (120m/s or 393 fpsEN166 1.BT.9 K N https://www.safetecdirect.co.uk/products/3m2890s/3m-2890s-safety-goggles-anti-scratch-and-anti-fog-lens?gclid=Cj0KCQjw4eaJBhDMARIsANhrQADhVznHCnUSExfnAZ7Rd8wijCNjmK5QCdyIvuLxLozof4Yt9MM7KvYaAt9AEALw_wcB 

On 10/09/2021 at 10:34, Rogerborg said:

Ahoy and welcome. Yup, you're on the sensible track (well, as sensible as playing with toy guns can be).

I would recommend full face for CQB and Dye i4/i5 are a solid choice: you don't want to take a big hairy bloke's load point blank in your mouth.

HAHAHA!...ta.. I guess with CQB and the Dye mask is fine as you wont really be ADS much.. 

Edited by Scorp

On 10/09/2021 at 10:34, Rogerborg said:

And very distinguished it looks to.

The years have looked favourably upon you. 😉

Hi @Scorp 👋

Tough times at the moment with everything going on, see how things go? 🤞👍

Glad you are finding it helpful and really appreciate the positive feedback! 🔫😎👍

💷GAMBLE💷

Edited by GAMBLE

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.