Optic Height - Where does your preference sit?

alxndrhll

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Despite the fact irons are more than adequate for airsoft, depending on your eye/face pro some would likely even argue the best thing to use, most airsofters I see these days are running some for of optic.

Having spoken to folks I know a lot of them are just there for looks, where shoots are generally 'walked in' more than they are aimed. Others exclusively using an optic, and some a mixture of the two. But something I've found intriguing over my past few games is the variety of heights these optics are sitting at, and the reasoning (or lack thereof) for that height.

Generally speaking, as alluded to earlier, the eye/face pro I'm running tends to dictate the height for me. If I'm running larger facepro (a well padded/mesh mask or a Dye mask) I'll use a Unity Fast Mount which pops the red dot on stilts, and if I'm using my Valhalla mask (similar to the Delta Mike ones but far superior for comfort imo having tried both) I'll swap out to a lower 1/3rd co-witness. As much as I wish I could get my muscle memory to a point where I just run the Unity one I simply find lower 1/3rd more comfortable unless there is something physical, i.e. a bulky mask, stopping me getting down lower. My neck certainly hurts a bit less after a day running the Unity, but I find getting a consistent sight picture every time I set my cheek really just isn't there and it simply feels a bit cumbersome. I guess that's what years of only ever running optics around a certain height will do for you.

I'm keen to give a 1.93" a go at some point, as a middle ground between lower 1/3rd and the Unity it might be just right for me... but I also might just be continuing to throw money at something when I'm already in possession fo the best option for me.

Am I alone in putting far too much time and thought into dicking around with optic height? Is it something you consider at all? Or is it all a bit too much of a faff for a romp around on a skirmish day?

Guest Mr. No_Face

For me placement is determined by what face pro or sights I'm running and these days I am always wearing my skull masks. They're ergonomically perfect for pretty much any height preference. The upper skull and the mandible, overlap causing a kind of overbite(layered) look that allows the cheek to sit nicely on any RIF. So running my optics in any format is not an issue. Sometimes I run my RDS low profile, particularly on my MP7, other times I prefer being able to utilize the quick release, riser should it fail.  

In terms of co-witnessing the only time It matters for me is when I am running my LMT sights on my AR-platforms..

As with others, eyepro determines height but generally as low as possible.

I do prefer using irons more tho.  Clearer sight picture.

Its funny when people spend more on the optic than the RIF 😆

I have ways favoured optics mounted as low as possible but I will be trying out a unity t1 high mount (the one with iron sights built in as well). Its a lot higher than I am used to but it feels ok with face pro.

Nah I think you are right to put some thought into it as someone that had an undiagnosed astigmatism well into my 30s I never new why people would hype about red dots and to some extent EoTechs (although I got on with EoTechs much better).

I tried a true 1-6x in a 1.93 mount last year and although a lot heaver than a T1 or an XPS I can actually make use of the reticule and defiantly have less stress in the shoulders due to the more "scope on m4 carry handle" height of the mount.  I am thinking about adding a riser to bring it up around another 10mm.  

Sub 80m you are still going to score a hit even if you went to 5" HOB me thinks so would use the NVG height mounts if it was me. 

45° RMR on a gun that uses back spin on the other hand :)

pewpew.jpg

15 minutes ago, THE FNG said:

I have ways favoured optics mounted as low as possible but I will be trying out a unity t1 high mount (the one with iron sights built in as well). Its a lot higher than I am used to but it feels ok with face pro.

Aye that's the one I swap in and out between, I hope it serves you well :).

13 minutes ago, Chev Chelios said:

Nah I think you are right to put some thought into it as someone that had an undiagnosed astigmatism well into my 30s I never new why people would hype about red dots and to some extent EoTechs (although I got on with EoTechs much better).

I tried a true 1-6x in a 1.93 mount last year and although a lot heaver than a T1 or an XPS I can actually make use of the reticule and defiantly have less stress in the shoulders due to the more "scope on m4 carry handle" height of the mount.  I am thinking about adding a riser to bring it up around another 10mm. 

Aye, I only found out I had one recently (well, within the last year or so). I'd just assumed all the repro red dots I'd used were shite hence the blurry dot, apparently not. Granted aiming with both eyes open, again something new to me within the last 6 months or so, it seems much less of an issue.

I had a 2020 version Strike Eagle 1-6 on a 1.93, I liked the height but didn't get on with the optic at all. My MWS is in the process of having a carry handle grafted to it so I'm intrigued to see how I get on with the centreline being around the 2.6" region. Having done some playing around after posting this thread I've realised I've got into a really bad habit of shouldering my RIFs really high to reduce the strain on my neck, because you don't exactly need the firmest shouldering for airsoft stuff, which is probably why I'm struggling with the Unity as much as I am. Not sure if it's something I can bothered to correct at this point in time, but at least I know why I guess 🤷‍♂️.

22 minutes ago, Chev Chelios said:

45° RMR on a gun that uses back spin on the other hand :)

I remember accidentally stumbling onto the same thing with some canted irons which I'd thrown on because I thought they looked cool way back when.

I use an LPVO and prefer low mounts for it. I use a half face balaclava with a mesh insert most of the time or a soft sided mesh mask for a bit more protection so that I can get as low down as possible. 

• Supporters
18 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

Whats bore offset and cheek weld mean?

DSC_0128.thumb.JPG.c8da2b0975fd22860491c47ece165fe6.JPG

Asking for a freind.....

*Laughs in M14*

19 hours ago, Chev Chelios said:

Ha.  This is me too.  It took me while to work out why every red dot after red dot I got was meh.

• Supporters
59 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

never used an m14 with an optic, it that at the level of needing to maintain a beard just to tell where the stock is?

Pretty much! 

This is my cheek riser

20200619_122231.thumb.jpg.7c391d10bae7bb506859333984e84d63.jpg

I need that to use a low profile red dot!

I’ve spent hours setting up sights, and, IMO, unless you’re sniping, pointless for skirmishing.

Competition shooting is something else entirely though, and you’re only wearing eye pro as nobody is taking pot shots at you.

I go for as low as possible, generally, as it makes changes to target distance much less important

I use optics on 2 1" risers for a total of 2" of rise

1) I'm slightly short sighted and astigmatic, but by using a 3X sight I can avoid wearing glasses during a game and see better than most folks 

2) I wear a Warq, that requires a 1" riser due to its check weld (its only drawback)

3) I'm right handed but blind in my right eye, so when shooting right shouldered I need another 1" of riser to lift the sight up to my top eye

This way, I can shoot from either shoulder (and do so) have found no negatives other than it looks a bit odd

Edited by MadMole

I see your cheek riser and raise you my double stacks14C56308-5544-45FB-9534-0B2771077C4A.thumb.jpeg.f14602bf8f3098170d403e722825c938.jpeg

Edited by MadMole

1 hour ago, Lozart said:

Pretty much! 

This is my cheek riser

20200619_122231.thumb.jpg.7c391d10bae7bb506859333984e84d63.jpg

I need that to use a low profile red dot!

Fuckin' 'ell, hahahaha!

1 hour ago, rocketdogbert said:

I’ve spent hours setting up sights, and, IMO, unless you’re sniping, pointless for skirmishing.

Not sure I entirely/at all agree with the 'sniper' sentiment. Horses for courses I guess but while a well set up bolty can out range RIFs which have to abide low FPS/joule limits I don't tend to think you can make them much/any more accurate than them. Depends on playstyle I guess, but I much prefer not having to walk shit in and land my first 2 shots with a relative degree of certainty.

16 minutes ago, MadMole said:

I see your cheek riser and raise you my double stacks14C56308-5544-45FB-9534-0B2771077C4A.thumb.jpeg.f14602bf8f3098170d403e722825c938.jpeg

Fuck me! When you said double stacked riser I assumed you meant double rail riser, not full on double stacked mounts.

Guest DrAlexanderTobacco

index.jpg

B-18 mounting a T1 clone's riser mounting an XPS2 - vital for my current NVGs, the venerable PVS-7s - impossible to aim otherwise.

Edited by DrAlexanderTobacco

• Supporters
1 hour ago, MadMole said:

I see your cheek riser and raise you my double stacks

this is the kind of man who hears the phrase "you can't aim for shit when hip firing" and instead of cowering in the corner like a wuss instead stands tall and bellows at the top of his lungs "challenge accepted"

I got my son a Valken Mi-7 mask which prevents him getting down to the scope so I'm going to put the carry handle back on his Nuprol Delta Sopmod and I got a scope mount to put on top of the carry handle. Hopefully that raises the scope up enough otherwise I'm going to need a riser on top which is going to look unwieldy and will add more weight to an already heavy gun for an 11 year old. 

I might have a look at heating up the mask and bending it in a bit. 

Coincidentally, I've got a game coming up at Leicester Gaol that's going to require me to ditch my short dot sight and and pop a red dot onto my MTW.

As I'll not be running my usual bush man outfit with @heroshark goggles i'll be using my Dye mask, so I'm hoping my Amazon red dot sits high enough!

I might have a play tonight while I'm waiting for the takeaway man to turn up!

3 minutes ago, leadly said:

Coincidentally, I've got a game coming up at Leicester Gaol that's going to require me to ditch my short dot sight and and pop a red dot onto my MTW.

As I'll not be running my usual bush man outfit with @heroshark goggles i'll be using my Dye mask, so I'm hoping my Amazon red dot sits high enough!

I might have a play tonight while I'm waiting for the takeaway man to turn up!

The Unity risers (be that real deal or PTS version) are a great height for me on the rare ocassion I use my Dye mask. As long as you're in the region of a 2" centreline I imagine you're good to go assuming you're running what I'd call a 'normal' stock i.e. no massive cheek risers.

Lower 1/3 co-witness is somewhere between 1.6"-1.75" centreline (I've read/heard a variety of numbers so it doesn't seem to be a consistent figure), so a half inch riser under a lower 1/3 should see you right if you feel you need a bump but can't be bothered forking out for a Unity/Unity repro.

Just had a measure and my red dot comes with a 1" riser as standard so fingers crossed I can get away with it!

Update: Had a play last night and 1" riser that came with the red dot feels about right. The cheek rest does push on the Dye mask a little but I'm not having to exert excessive force to aim down the site.

Obviously I cleared every room downstairs last night, multiple tests were carried out just to make sure!

Edited by leadly

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.