Greetings from Essex

IronCobra85

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello there all you lovely people. I recently found my local paintball site thats a 5-10 minute drive away from me does Airsoft (Mayhem in Abridge). I've been thinking about taking up Airsoft for the past three or so years but everywhere seemed a bit far away for someone who doesnt drive so this seems like the perfect oppurtunity to do something about it.

I curently have clothing i use for fishing that i could repurpose as Airsoft gear (Surplus DPM's and Flektarn, an old NVA CHICOM chest rig (not for fishing lol) that i got at a local surplus shop that closed down about 20 years ago, some surplus Ballistic goggles that i was given for no reason and few other basic things). First question is would this be enough? I'd obviously have to hire the gun at the site until i can get registered on the UKARA database. I was thinking maybe i should get some protection for my mouth as i don't really wanna lose any teeth. I was looking at www.deltamikefacepro.co.uk, anyone used these? Any good? Any other suggestions?

I know im thinking a bit far into the future but i did have my eyes set on a GBBR and preferably something that isn't M4 related. Years and years ago i took apart a mates deac AKM and looking at vids online the GHK AKM seems very similiar inside. So my eyes were either set on that, a WE L85, a WE G3A3 or a NE Sten MK2. Is this a bad idea to get a GBB straight off the bat? I've fired a few AEGs in the past and the whining gear noise just doesn't do it for me. Still, a bad idea to go for GBB first go or not? I know getting hold of a GHK or WE is a problem in the UK at the moment but this purchase probably wont be until the new year anyway maybe. TBF i dont mind ordering from Samoon or KYAirsoft if it comes to it.

Anyway any advice is much appreciated.

Hi and welcome.

Sounds like you've got quite a bit of gear you can repurpose already 👍

Make sure the goggles are enclosed and a decent make.

The face protection you linked looks a bit expensive and not very comfortable to me.  I use THIS myself.

Get good ankle support boots too.

Yeah, GBBRs are fun to use and the most realistic plastic BB flingers in airsoft BUT they do have some downsides.

- They are expensive and don't have any range advantage over cheaper AEGs

- Having to buy gas is more expensive

- Making them consistent firing can be a pain.  Cleaning and maintenance is very important because the moving parts are more exposed. Parts wear faster than AEGs.

- Winter can make them problematic to use.  Gas does not expand enough to provide operating pressure when cold. You can get higher pressure gas to compensate but still can be problematic.

- Magazines are much more expensive than AEG (electric) versions.

- Magazines are much heavier than AEG versions.

- But the big drawback is limited ammo.  A typical gas mag holds around 30 BBs but an AEG hi-cap can hold over 300 in a single mag.  You can reload mags but that means carrying spare BBs AND gas so not something practical under fire.

In a fight against someone with an AEG you can use up all your BBs and gas and they'll keep shooting you.  Even if you conserve ammo by only using single shots they can spray you with auto fire bursts for longer.

Some people do use GBBRs but having experience is important to get the most out of them and not get discouraged by the limitations.

MilSim games are more suited to GBBR use and they are more common.

Edited by EDcase

46 minutes ago, EDcase said:

Hi and welcome.

Sounds like you've got quite a bit of gear you can repurpose already 👍

Make sure the goggles are enclosed and a decent make.

The face protection you linked looks expensive and not very effective to me.  I use THIS myself.

Get good ankle support boots too.

Yeah, GBBRs are fun to use and the most realistic plastic BB flingers in airsoft BUT they do have some downsides.

- They are expensive and don't have any range advantage over cheaper AEGs

- Having to buy gas is more expensive

- Making them consistent firing can be a pain.  Cleaning and maintenance is very important because the moving parts are more exposed. Parts wear faster than AEGs.

- Winter can make them problematic to use. When its cold the gas does not expand enough to provide operating pressure. You can get higher pressure gas to compensate.

- Magazines are much more expensive than AEG (electric) versions.

- Magazines are much heavier than AEG versions.

- But the big drawback is limited ammo.  A typical gas mag holds around 30 BBs but an AEG hi-cap can hold over 300 in a single mag.  You can reload mags but that means carrying spare BBs AND gas so not something practical under fire.

In a fight against someone with an AEG you can use up all your BBs and gas and they'll keep shooting you.  Even if you conserve ammo by only using single shots they can spray you with auto fire. 

Hi, thanks for the quick response.

Yeah i've been looking at the pros and cons. The price and weight of the mags wouldn't really phase me i don't think. I was just thinking about the limited ammo situation and i guess the conservation of ammo and picking your shots would play a big part in that aspect, but as you said if someones blasting you with full auto with a 300 round mag i'd be at a major disadvantage. Winter would probably be the biggest downfall. Maintenace wouldn't be a problem as i have to take apart fishing gear and gardening equipment here at home, lube it up and put it back together although i guess that is only part of it. I'll probably do a bit more research before taking the plunge on a GBB and look into a semi decent AEG for starters, still the noise does put me off slightly still.

A friend of mine has a GBB WE G18c that he said i could borrow to take as a side arm but im unsure as the legallity of that regarding me not being on the UKARA database yet and the VCRA.

Good shout with the mask i'll prob pick one of those up soon. The ones i linked were the first ones i searched for and im still unsure as to the size of the metal plate in them to stop my teeth getting shattered.

The goggles i were given i think are British Army Revison Wolfspider goggles which are fully enclosed, however they are in the loft somewhere under a load of crap probably so im more than likely gonna have to just rely on whatever the site has as part of the hire package.

Again thanks for the friendly response.

Edited by IronCobra85

You're welcome of course.

Yeah, the noise of AEGs did put me off when I first got into it but you get used to it I guess.  You can hear when they sound nice and poppy rather than grinding or whining.

Almost all pistols use gas and are a lot of fun to use.  They also have problems in Winter of course.

Electric ones (AEP) are OK for short range and don't have cold problems but just not as fun.

You can get Co2 ones but they are more expensive to run and can be too powerful to use.

Its legal for your friend to lend or even sell you an airsoft rifle or pistol without UKARA.  Just don't let the public see it.  This includes neighbours so may be best to explain to them before using in a garden.

Edited by EDcase

• Head Moderator

Welcome :).

Hi @IronCobra85 👋

Welcome to the forum, full of advice and like minded players! 🔫🤪👍

Have fun sorting your loadout, I also wear low face protection for that main reason, with ear protection! 🤪👍

💷GAMBLE💷

10 hours ago, IronCobra85 said:

Hello there all you lovely people. I recently found my local paintball site thats a 5-10 minute drive away from me does Airsoft (Mayhem in Abridge). I've been thinking about taking up Airsoft for the past three or so years but everywhere seemed a bit far away for someone who doesnt drive so this seems like the perfect oppurtunity to do something about it.

Welcome to the forums, and i hope you enjoy your first steps into Airsoft.

Definately look at decent face protection, as the "cheapest-of-the-cheap" stuff may not hold up under fire (im talking mainly about ebay specials...  if you buy from a reputable airsoft shop you shouldnt need to worry too much) 

Also, many sites insurance will not cover your teeth, so full face is highly recommended.

For your first gun, unless it is a pistol, then avoid GBB due to the issues mentioned above by Edcase.  But there is no requirement for you to run a pistol unless you have a DMR or a bolt action sniper rifle.

Another issue to add to the list is regarding the NE Sten...   unlike an m4 or ak mag, you cant get an adapter for a speed loader to load the mags easily. The only way i can load my sten mags is to place a finger and thumb either side of the feed lips and force bbs straight down into the mag...   its doable, but bloody awkward.  That said, the quality of the build is superb.

You mention that you want something that is not m4 related.  With that in mind, as well as recommending AEG as a starter, and other mentions of AKs..   the consensus is that Cyma AKs are the best balance of affordability and quality.  Plus they are a base from which you can upgrade gradually over time.

Another option i can suggest for your consideration is a TM P90.  I own one, and it performs great.  With .25g bbs and 100% stock internally, it shoots laser straight and with decent range.

• Supporters
9 hours ago, EDcase said:

Its legal for your friend to lend or even sell you an airsoft rifle or pistol without UKARA.

It's strictly speaking always an offence for anyone to sell (import, manufacture, or modify-into) a realistic firearm, trade or private.  However, selling for the purposes of airsoft use is a defence, and the truth is that nobody will ever care as long as you're responsible in your use.

Some AEGs can be surprisingly quiet, if you get the gears, shimming and lubrication right, although you will get more satisfaction out of a gas blowback - when it's working.  Gas pistols are great fun, but mostly for posing power in woodland, unless you're running a sniper or DMR, or are at a site with a lot of breachable structures.

General advice is to buy a basic AEG first, then you've got it as a backup or loaner gun, so you won't have a wasted day.  I have, when lending out and running into issues, ended up using a backup-reserve-emergency shotgun.;) 

But always rent and play first before dropping any money on airsoft, and give the initial adrenaline rush a day or so to ebb before making any decisions.  It's a great hobby, but the classifieds are full of "Bought on a whim, never played" guns.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again all, so my first time paying airsoft in probably 20 years this past Sunday and it was definately an enjoyable experience.

One thing that did kind of fuck me up though was the use of muscles in my legs and arse from crouching and chucking myself around a lot. Today the pain is an absolute bugger but hey ho. The exercise on its own is enough for me to actually proceed with taking it up properly, it has also pushed me into going for runs again.

I kinda misjudged the weather too, supposed to be overcast and mild but it was bloomin hot and sunny so the sweat kinda fucked with my vision a bit ala the goggles, i have anti fog wipes but i misplaced them a few weeks ago when cleaning.

I also noticed that using iron sights with a rearward rear sight (M4) was a right pain in the arse as the vision in my right eye was damaged due to stress and other crap at my previous job and im right handed. Swapped the M4 easily enough from right to left handed when needed (different sides of cover) but it didn't feel as natural, i guess practice will cure that. When i shoot my mates air rifles using a scope with my right eye its a no go, i have to use the left eye and go left handed and cocking the bolt handle is a pain but again hey ho. I tried the sights on a friends springer AK that he won at a fair and as the style of rear sight on an AK is in the middle and further forward its a lot easier getting a decent sight picture with my left eye holding the rifle right handed so it seems an AK style sight system (or a raised reflex or red dot of some sort) would also probably work.

Anyway an enjoyable time all round.

Edited by IronCobra85
crap spelling

Glad to hear you've rekindled your airsoft mojo. Amazing how scooting around, ducking and crouching can make you feel like you've had a heavy leg workout 😆

As others have pointed out a GBBR may not be the best option to begin with but they are amazing fun. Definitely worth keeping an AEG as a back up though as gas can be inconsistent. 

Enjoy your journey 

Yeah i agree i'll definately go the AEG route first 100% then delve into a GBBR when the global shipping situation stabalises and stock starts to get imported again. Once i get put on the UKARA database (earliest in November it seems) i'll take a more in depth look, been looking at the CYMA's and LCT's but stock seems to be a problem on certain websites. Still though, plenty of time .

Re: the sighting issue.  Try a larger rear ring sight, or moving the existing one backwards.  They are supposed to work by not being focused on, i.e they should work better then an AK type that demands focussing on three different things i.e. rear sight/front sight/target.   

With a well set up ring/ghost sight you only see the front post and target.  With practice, you only see the target.  After 30+ years of rifles I can't use AK type sights as well, as close range focus issues limit use of the rear V sight.  

The thing is the issue isn't focus with my right eye its just everything is blurry as hell (currently having Injections in my eye and they are helping slightly) so picking out someone camo'd up in a bush is quite hard even if i wasn't aiming at them as it were. Even using a scope on my mates air rifles, i can look through the scope and get a decent stabalised view but its just blurry. My left eye is perfect. The issue is trying to get a decent sight picture using my left eye and being right handed, the rearward sight is far too low and my left eye is above it if that makes sense. What i meant is that as the AK rear sight is a lot more forward on the weapon, so resting my right cheek in the usual place and firing right handed using my left eye is possible. If i could move the rear M4 style sight forward then that'd work, extending the but stock to the rear most position helped but i still couldnt properly look through the ring to see the front post.

Sorry mate , I misunderstood.  Crossover stocks exist.  Hold right handed, use left eye.  Not sure if I've ever seen one on a rif.  

TBH I think that consistent mount is more important than sight picture for airsoft.   My mask keeps my face too high to use the sights on most rifles, but I know where it shoots when its shouldered.   

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.