Something smells and it’s not my socks !

Druid799

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Now being a naturally suspicious fecker who’s outlook on life is very much ‘the light at the end of the tunnel is the front of an on coming train😳’ . I’m pretty skeptical of near all claims I read in adverts , so when I see an advert that says things like “brand new gun , never scurmished !” And then in the description it says “slight marks from testing , no box” or “only been used to plink in the guarded but XYZ is missing/broken” instantly I think bullshit as neither would I or any of my friends ever get rid of the box immediately nor would I be that cavalier with a new gun that it’ll get damaged or loose bits from it as soon as I’ve got it ? SO either the seller is incredibly thick and has no concept of or cares about the monetary value of a thing or(which I’m more inclined to go with) there talking bollox and trying to rip off some poor soul wIth a dodgy sale .

Thoughts ? 

I quite regularly sell RIF's as "unskirmished", simply because that's accurate and emphasises that it hasn't been dragged around a woodland 100's of times with 10's of thousand rounds through it. Of course I wouldn't claim "brand new"

In regards to "slight marks from testing".....have you ever had a buyer try to claim from you for a micro-blemish? Again, providing it's reasonably accurate I have no issues with sellers protecting themselves.

Don't tend to concern myself with others ads much, only thing that irks me is if there is something that takes my fancy put up and it has next to no information about it. When buying something second/third/fourth etc hand there will always be an element of risk irrelevant of how thorough the text in the listing is and how good to photos are.

If someone is looking at an ad that is obviously not particularly well fleshed out or seems dodgy and isn't thinking much the same as you are, and then they go ahead and buy it... well frankly that's their issue. The only folks this thread stands to serve are those who aren't aware it's for them ultimately... because neither buyer nor seller will care to look.

I have sold many guns having never actually taken them to a skirmish. Got bored of them, weren't what I was hoping or not actually comfortable to hold. I also used to chuck boxes away fairly sharpish very limited storage space when I was renting in a shared flat.

1 hour ago, alxndrhll said:

Don't tend to concern myself with others ads much, only thing that irks me is if there is something that takes my fancy put up and it has next to no information about it. When buying something second/third/fourth etc hand there will always be an element of risk irrelevant of how thorough the text in the listing is and how good to photos are.

How about a single photo, with the gun in question on a duvet in a dingy room, taken by a camera with a dirty lens?

That's usually the "I bought a BB gun off my mate" crowd.

• Supporters

think my initial point has been missed , I’m commenting on the sales you see where perceived condition does NOT match the description given by the seller , if a gun is supposedly unscurmished and as ‘new’ then you wouldn’t expect there to already be broken/missing parts and very noticeable marking on it ? to be able to claim ‘as new’ none of these should apply to the item for sale should they ? 

On 01/09/2021 at 16:54, Druid799 said:

if a gun is supposedly unscurmished and as ‘new’ then you wouldn’t expect there to already be broken/missing parts and very noticeable marking on it ? to be able to claim ‘as new’ none of these should apply to the item for sale should they ? 

Unless their Mum threw it from a first floor window and they failed to catch it when they went out for some "plinking in the garden"

I'm with you on this one, it's certainly not how many of us would treat a new gun. But there are people out there who genuinely couldn't give a sh*t about their stuff and the description may actually be genuine. If that's the scenario then I'd steer clear cos let's face it, they've hardly taken care of it and who knows what you may be getting.

The other scenario is that they're talking out of their arse, it's been used loads and it's overpriced. At which point steer clear.

All personal preference of course and we may be being unfair to the sellers, but in a world where caveat emptor is the general rule when buying stuff, I'd rather err on the side of caution.

considering mym4 raider has been dismantled and rebuilt with extra bits and been through numerous skirmishes and thousands and thousands of rounds and still shoots exactly as it did new it always worrys me when you start reading such claims, iv also kept every guns box because if i ever part with them its all going together. would also make explaining anything to police easier if they can see boxes and exact details etc... 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.