Starting out....

Duzum

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all, me and a friend have decided we don't like money any more and are looking to start playing airsoft.

I have a few questions so any help would be greatly appreciated, so here goes;

1. I have been reading a lot about HPA, Co2 and electric platforms and as a beginner I have been advised that electric would possibly be the best path, is there any merit to this?

2. I know this is a preference question however its always nice to hear peoples opinion so, what is better game play indoor or outdoors.

3. I'll be playing around the Hull area I have been told by 1 store that the area has a decent honest game base, so is there anywhere to not go play and where are good places to play around the UK.

Thank you for your help 

Welcome Duzum,

It doesn't have to cost an arm & leg to get into but of course it depends how far you jump into the shredder 😁

My 2p worth adding to what Brophy said...

1) Yes, it is a bit more costly to rent first but it will save you lots in the long run.

It'll help you get a feel for the game and what gun style you'll want. M4, AK, long, short, etc.

And you'll certainly get to try other weapons people have.

If you buy anything before having UKARA it will be painted a bright colour (two-tone)  If you then want to get rid of it, it will be worth less and harder to sell.

- AEG definitely the easiest and arguably most effective system.  You can get AEGs with recoil for more realistic feel but obviously more expensive.

- Gas is the most realistic in operation and feel but more expensive to purchase and run.  Can be problematic in Winter.  But the big downside is you can't carry as much ammunition as an AEG with high capacity magazines.  You will be at a disadvantage in a firefight.  Gas guns (GBBRs) are more practical in a MilSim game where there is more emphasis on realism and more people use them.

- Co2 From my experience with a Co2 pistol. Expensive to run (including fixing leaks).  Can't top-up on gas when low.  Often shoot hot and hard to adjust power.  To me not worth the hassle.

- No experience of HPA but not a fan because some get into it for stupid rates of fire 🙄

2) Outdoor (woodland) uses more tactics and teamwork.  Allows for a wider range of gameplay from camping sniper (hate em 😏),  sneaky assaults to full on charges.

Not tried indoors (CQB) yet but from videos it looks fun though seems to often be starwars style shooting down corridors in stalemate.  Faster gameplay with more emphasis on sprinting to get advantageous positions.

3) Check HERE then look up reviews of places near you.

Edited by EDcase

• Supporters

Yup, what they said.

3 hours ago, EDcase said:

1) Yes, it is a bit more costly to rent first but it will save you lots in the long run.

Consider that it typically costs about £20 extra per day to rent, but that includes BBs. So really you're looking at a total of £30-40 extra for gun and face protection rental over the magic 3 games.  Unless you really, really want your own IF right away, it does make sense to rent first so that you've got more idea what you want when you come to purchase.

Of course, I didn't, and just bought a £75 CYMA M4, which I've never regretted.  I wouldn't recommend getting anything more expensive in two-tone though, as above, it'll be harder to shift on.

I prefer Indoor CQB as it's more intense with faster respawns and turnarounds, less walking, funnier and friendlier, with less of an issue of folk not wanting to feel hits after 15 minutes of creeping through the bushes.

I agree that outdoor can have more teamwork and tactics compared to a basic linear indoor site.  However, I have a lot more memorable moments indoors.  Both are great though, just get stuck in with a rental package and see how you get on.

I'll second/third/fourth whatever has been said already but...  I am not really into indoor sites.  I much prefer outdoors, but then I just about live outdoors.  I'm just a feral thing that gets dragged indoors by my wife some evenings.  

If you are a little like myself, you may for no tangible reason prefer outside sites, so try both and see what you like.  

• Head Moderator

Welcome :).

One thing to note now is that most sites will not rent face protection to you because of COVID restrictions. 

So if you enjoy having teeth, definitely get a mesh lower face mask or at the very least a mouthguard that you would use for Rugby etc!

Another note is, I much prefer “glasses style” as opposed to “goggle style” eye protection, for example Bolle contour. They’re cheap (around £10-15) and they won’t fog up on you! 

I’d definitely say go for an AEG for your first gun after getting UKARA. Easy to maintain, cheaper as you don’t need to buy gas and just generally reliable.

The main thing is, there will ALWAYS be friendly people at whichever site you visit that will chat with you, give you some advice and help you out. 

Airsoft genuinely is a very welcoming and friendly community and you aren’t going to be judged for not having the most expensive or new gear or renting a rif for the day - and if anyone does, feel free to tell them they’re a loser and to go home for an early bath 😌

Enjoy!

Mal

As far as where to play it's all about the players on the day. I'm not far from you and there's plenty of good sites in our radius. Bad player's can put a downer on a day even at the best run site. You just need to inform Marshalls and if they have repeat complaints about certain individuals (provided you can identify them "the guy in camo with the gun" is too vague) they will keep an eye on it. Unfortunately they can't be everywhere though and nothing will be done if it's not seen. Also more often than not people think they have hit you and not. Equally you and the people you hit may not feel a hit. You can even shoot, think they have reacted to the impact when it wasn't that at all. Sometimes you get quite hard ricochets and it's not clear if it's a direct hit. I still get it wrong and I've been playing 22 years. Just be gracious and polite to other players, even if you don't see eye to eye. If you are truly in doubt tell the Marshalls and let them do their job. Oh and don't be a moany little bitch about getting shot when you are dead. Usually it's your own fault or an honest mistake by the shooter, just keep your hand up and keep calling dead man. Welcome to Airsoft club....

• Supporters
15 hours ago, MalHollywood said:

One thing to note now is that most sites will not rent face protection to you because of COVID restrictions.

Really?  I haven't seen that locally. In fact, I've seen a site loaning out a site Dye mask to an under-16 when they weren't entirely happy with the coverage on his own gear.

15 hours ago, MalHollywood said:

Bolle contour. They’re cheap (around £10-15) and they won’t fog up on you! 

Dude, brah, come on, they don't fog up on you.  I'm fogging up a set of Pyramex iForces in the next room right now just by thinking about them. :P 

16 hours ago, MalHollywood said:

Had a game last weekend and spoke to some rental guys who both had full face masks.

Hopefully they're well cleaned.

16 hours ago, MalHollywood said:

Another note is, I much prefer “glasses style” as opposed to “goggle style” eye protection.

Not as safe but they're your eyes... 🙄

Edited by EDcase

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.