TM MP5 NGRS Owners

JamesWills

yeah your battery rating looks fine. Since 1 battery worked fine and the other cut out after 15 mins then you'd normally suspect the battery that cut out but it could just be the tamiya connection not being the best and had a bad connection. waving the AEG around might have broke the connection enough for the AEG to think it was low in volts.

The newer TM battery will have 3 wires and most likely the 3rd wire will monitor resistance of the battery pack and use it as the check for low voltage in the battery.

TM don't have the best track record when it comes to batteries (SOPMOD battery anyone?) so it's an unknown choice. It might be the best battery in the world but it might not be. A few people have posted their batteries on here so if you want to buy another battery then use these to make your choice.

5 minutes ago, mightyjebus said:

yeah your battery rating looks fine. Since 1 battery worked fine and the other cut out after 15 mins then you'd normally suspect the battery that cut out but it could just be the tamiya connection not being the best and had a bad connection. waving the AEG around might have broke the connection enough for the AEG to think it was low in volts.

The newer TM battery will have 3 wires and most likely the 3rd wire will monitor resistance of the battery pack and use it as the check for low voltage in the battery.

TM don't have the best track record when it comes to batteries (SOPMOD battery anyone?) so it's an unknown choice. It might be the best battery in the world but it might not be. A few people have posted their batteries on here so if you want to buy another battery then use these to make your choice.

Ahh ok. I do notice when I plug in it doesn't always line up and can be tough to take off and bends the pin slightly in the battery connector but then I get that with the M4 I have too. Well yeah as I say just wouldn't play ball with the battery after that first round despite reconnecting and connecting yesterday evening. But this morning fine 😂. With the first one that came it wouldnt accept the battery without the red line that's why I marked them thinking one battery is dying out. I was also told it might be my charger as well.. its a fun game this. I guess if its stopping my battery then least the mosfet is working. 

But yeah will have a look at 30C batteries. Thank you for you help and new information. 

Like others have said, could just be a duff battery. If the specs on the battery are accurate then they should be sufficient.

First thing I'd do would be to change the connector out. If you're good at soldering, change it for the MR30's, if you're average then just change the adapter/converter from Tamiya to deans (or mini-deans). There are a couple of battery options posted earlier if you do want to try another one and they should only be around £15 - £16.

Yeah, those SOPMOD batteries weren't great. Conceptually a cool idea, but not well executed. Then again, we know the new Marui one will be a lipo. And will undoubtedly be designed to fit perfectly. I'll be interested to see the specs, but I'll confess I don't understand why it's going to have the third wire or exactly how that's going to work. I mean, you can already get voltage monitoring on the Gate mosfets and they only have the battery pos/neg running to them. Electrics not my speciality.

Ahh my soldering is shit but I know some tech guys. I have ordered a 30C 7.4v for now see if it happens again. But as I say put the red line battery in this morning and fine haha. I'm only over worrying because one has already gone back. So just want to make sure it's all gooood.

All learning so really appreciate the help to a "noob"

Played my first game with mine today @ Warzone Airsoft, the gun ran absolutely brilliantly its surprisingly accurate

I ran it on a 20C 1100mah and a 30C 1800mah you can definitely tell a different with the trigger response on the 30C compared to the 20C a lot more snappier

If you are looking at getting one I would seriously recommend it, I cant see myself going back to my SCAR or MK18 for a while

had fun running the MP5 at UCAP Vendetta yesterday but it really needs a torch for those dark CQB moments. On the plus side the Magpul SL rail turned up today and my battery fits inside so it looks like I can now run a torch.

1976540506_MP5Magpul1.thumb.jpg.da9fd40c2c9fd3897f16eaa6d77e0ef6.jpg

2086375790_MP5Magpul.thumb.jpg.0184e6eceb913507bfc9110db12684cb.jpg

Just ordered myself a VFC torch grip from Bunny workshop $98 with shipping, hopefully it doesn't take too long to get here

In case you haven’t heard, I got a heads up tonight from a dealer, TM are trying to do a recall.

The mosfets are overloading and catching fire.

Four or five have caught fire in the U.K, one causing serious burns to an owners hand.

Personally, I’d put a different ‘fet  in rather than wait months for a replacement gun.

Be interesting to hear more about this. If it's a recall it's very quiet (nothing on any of their official channels, or on any of the news sites). I could see why they might want to keep something like that quiet, but surely must know that'd be impossible as soon as dealers start phoning people up. Odd.

Or it's an elaborate ruse to thin out the competition for guns/spare mags. ;)

I would have thought that TM would have put something out on twitter about this recall at the least 😐

Hopefully TM will support us UK customers because there really is no good replacement for it unless anyone knows a V2 mosfet that can support a 4 position fire selector?

Makes me wonder what batteries the people who's M-SYSTEM caught fire where running, wouldn't be surprised if they where using a 11.1v Lipo

5 minutes ago, JamesWills said:

Makes me wonder what batteries the people who's M-SYSTEM caught fire where running, wouldn't be surprised if they where using a 11.1v Lipo

I was wondering the same thing. It does require a reasonable over voltage for a FET to actually catch fire, although shorts and current surges aren't good for them either. hopefully things are made a bit more public on this sooner rather than later.

They'll release a solution reasonably quickly I'm sure. at least they did with the Mk46 dovetail in the end.

10 minutes ago, JamesWills said:

I would have thought that TM would have put something out on twitter about this recall at the least 😐

Hopefully TM will support us UK customers because there really is no good replacement for it unless anyone knows a V2 mosfet that can support a 4 position fire selector?

Nothing on their site either.  If there is a genuine recall, they're certainly not trying very hard to get the word out.

I reached out to Airsoft Zone UK where I got mine from, they have contacted their agent in Japan about it so I will let you know if I hear anything

20 hours ago, rocketdogbert said:

In case you haven’t heard, I got a heads up tonight from a dealer, TM are trying to do a recall.

Are you at liberty to say which dealer?  As it seems at least a few UK dealers haven't heard anything about this.

20 hours ago, rocketdogbert said:

The mosfets are overloading and catching fire.

Four or five have caught fire in the U.K, one causing serious burns to an owners hand.

Personally, I’d put a different ‘fet  in rather than wait months for a replacement gun.

Yeah can you elaborate? Can't find a single mention on any other forum or on Google search.

• Supporters

Seeing as TM don't give two shits about anyone buying grey imports outside of Japan, I doubt very much that they would be too bothered about letting people know.

On 17/10/2021 at 20:43, rocketdogbert said:

Would be good to know what Dealer gave you this information @rocketdogbert

I spoke to the shop I brought mine from and they have asked their agent in Japan who came back with 

"Regarding MP5A5 Mosfet, We haven’t received any information about the problem from Tokyo Marui and our customers. MP5A5 is designed on the premise of using Tokyo Marui 8.4V NiMH battery or Tokyo Marui genuine Lipo battery, so if your customer uses other batteries, it is not guaranteed."

Seems like everything is okay, TM where pretty open and quick to announce the issues with the MK46

I'm starting to suspect whatever retailer advised rocketdogbert of this issue might perhaps be responsible by either messing up a battery conversion or OK'ing the use of higher rated batteries and is now trying to do damage control/passing the buck.

The fact that no other retailer has heard of any issues and now TM coming back with the response above and their quickness with dealing with the MK46 issue...Very suss.

I called my retailer the first time I read this thread, i.e. yesterday at around 1pm.

My retailer is Wolf Armouries. They said they have not heard anything about the MP5s going wrong, the only thing they are getting from customers is people asking for when they will restock for more, especially for the mags. 

I am now confused. 

Edited by blobface