Message etiquette

Matt.2504

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

i must admit it does make you think "how many sales ads is this guy responding to that he doesn't have the time to write out properly?"

the other thing you get is folk who go silent once you've sent an item, i suppose it's better than a paypal dispute out of the blue but it'd be nice to know they've recieved it at least.

The word "Trade" always sets off my alarm bells. 

Translates to

"Its fucked and I don't want Paypal protection available for you"

"I don't own it and the police are never going to get involved, when i don't send it. I just have to ignore your PM's"

"I have something I massively overvalue and i am unable to sell it on the forums but I hope you are a little bit stupid"

Edited by Groot

1 hour ago, Matt.2504 said:

Ok guys I’m now feeling really old posting this, but does anyone else get frustrated with some people’s message etiquette?

recieved a text this morning purely saying “open to a trade?”  ;

no “good morning” or “hi, my name is blah blah, I saw your advert for blah blah on blah blah blah airsoft website would you be interested in a trade, I have blah blah blah on offer”

Is that really too much to ask for? 

That seems fine to me.

I actually prefer when a message is short and to the point.

I'd like to know what they want first rather than their name, where they saw the advert and a list of random things.

Edited by EDcase

It’s shite, rips my tights too

nothing wrong with a little bit of flirting to get the chat going, 

I think you have a better chance of good negotiations with a seller/buyer if you have some dialogue going

Somebody messaging me asking my “best price”

I always ask them back, best price for you - or best price for me?

stop being a fudd 

chat it out 😂

• Supporters
24 minutes ago, Enid_Puceflange said:

urgh that does annoy me.

if you're going to go down the route of trying to haggle don't expect the seller to cut their own throat and drop the cost for you.

you're basically opening a conversation by asking the seller to give you free money for no effort. you might as well just pm random people asking "how much money can you give me?"

if you wanna make an offer fine- put a number to it, at least that opens dialogue (even if the dialogue is simply no)

21 minutes ago, Enid_Puceflange said:

I think you have a better chance of good negotiations with a seller/buyer if you have some dialogue going

stop being a fudd 

chat it out 😂

I now put in my sales post anyone that asks for a best price will be ignored. Yet people still pm me goes to show some people don't read adverts.

Edited by BigStew

Airsoft is a great community, I often find myself chatting loads with the people I trade with about RIFs and everything else inbetween.

Why not strike a conversation up with someone that's likeminded - that's what we're all on this forum for in the first place right? 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Enid_Puceflange said:

stop being a fudd 

chat it out 😂

I always do an all in price AND it’s priced to sell not rip off so it REALLY boils my piss as well , same as “what’s the lowest you’ll go ?” 🤬 can always reply with  “Well I f**ked a gorgeous dwarf once , that low enough for you ?” 🤦‍♂️
But yea when ever I get one I like to use the Robert De Nero from Stardust school of negotiating ; 

“what’s your best price ?” Well its up for 200 so I’ll take 170 for it ,,,,,,,,,, plus P&P and PayPal fees so I think that’s 200 please . 😉

Years ago on either this forum or another popular one I was trying to see if there were any airsofter's local to me who wanted to car share as I was new to the hobby and wanted to reduce pollution etc.  Anyhow I received a message from a member called "pumak" as follows:

"oi mate can u pick up penrith mate can I smoke"  I kindly asked him what was his/her name and that smoking was not allowed in my car but that I was happy to drive up to collect him/her and then onto a F&O site in Lancashire.  This person replied: "oi , pick me up, we go I smoke at stop oi why u wanna name mate reply now"

I never responded.  Thankfully I've only ever come across one person who cannot string a sentence together or uphold what id call "normal" manners.

• Supporters
4 minutes ago, EDcase said:

Yeah, forget basic etiquette, that's below normal human.

agreed.

gotta love the "reply now" demand thrown in at the end, if anything that'd make me wait for no other reason than spite.

i do wonder what goes on in people's heads when they write like that, how do they think they're coming across? do they really think it's making them look good? 

maybe i'm over-analyzing.....

55 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

agreed.

gotta love the "reply now" demand thrown in at the end, if anything that'd make me wait for no other reason than spite.

i do wonder what goes on in people's heads when they write like that, how do they think they're coming across? do they really think it's making them look good? 

maybe i'm over-analyzing.....

At the time I'd recently moved to the Lake District so at first I just thought that this must be how 'the locals' talk (farmers and isolated villages) but as it transpires this member was a one off "special edition". 

There's an idea. 

In all the promotion badges there's no "special edition" badge for you know, special editions.. 

Edited by Oneshotscott

1 minute ago, Oneshotscott said:

At the time I'd recently moved to the Lake District so at first I just thought that this must be how 'the locals' talk (farmers and isolated villages) but as it transpires this member was a one off "special edition". 

There's an idea. 

In all the promotion badges there's no "special edition" badge for you know, special editions.. 

Ah yes, the special edition.

Pre-installed with the Bait Shite-an bossfet to spue incoherent bollocks at people trying to be helpful.

These are the same people that moan throughout briefings, making it 6 times longer for everyone else and themselves with their hands down their trackies.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.