Maple Leaf 60 degree AEG bucking - ZCI Plastic Rotary Hop up - ZCI 229mm barrel. Bucking too long

JVacation

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello,

I recently tried installing a Maple Leaf 60 degree AEG yellow bucking into my stock hop up, however the lips were too long (It would feed when using a mag however if I hand fed the hop up bbs they would get stuck on the lips of the bucking).  I tried sanding it but it became very messy. I then did some research and found that people recommend the ZCI rotary plastic hop up. I also found this video from Negative Airsoft where he uses the same bucking but in the ZCI hop up.

So I purchased one of them and installed a new bucking with the new hop up. It was the same issue. This time I used a razor to just shave it as cleanly as possible but I am still not 100% happy with it. FPS is great and consistent but I don't really think I should be having to cut a product such as a bucking just to make sure it works correctly. I use the omega nub too.

Does anyone have any suggestions on which buckings I should try instead?

Thank you

1 hour ago, JVacation said:

I don't really think I should be having to cut a product such as a bucking just to make sure it works correctly. I use the omega nub too.

Welcome to Airsoft Teching. This is par for the course.

At least a bucking is cheap. Just you wait until you find that an expensive rail system or motor grip doesn't fit your gun and you need to Dremel the shit out of them. Pucker moments indeed.

And if it works after cutting, why change it?

I don't really think I should be having to cut a product such as a bucking just to make sure it works correctly. I use the omega nub too.

Why not? There are always variances from one gun to another. Teching is not just swapping parts for more expensive ones. It's more about fine tuning by cutting, filling, sanding and drilling etc to ensure a perfect fit.

As someone who works on m14s (which have different barrel cuts and shorter hop rubbers), this is par for the course in my opinion. Cutting hop rubbers is easy and it doesn't have to be 100% perfect; a bit of a jagged edge isn't going to make any difference. I still get flawless airseal in my m14s and I've simply used some multi-tool scissors to cut it down to size. Plus, as has been said, hop rubbers are pretty affordable.

1 hour ago, Speedbird_666 said:

Welcome to Airsoft Teching. This is par for the course.

At least a bucking is cheap. Just you wait until you find that an expensive rail system or motor grip doesn't fit your gun and you need to Dremel the shit out of them. Pucker moments indeed.

And if it works after cutting, why change it?

40 minutes ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

Why not? There are always variances from one gun to another. Teching is not just swapping parts for more expensive ones. It's more about fine tuning by cutting, filling, sanding and drilling etc to ensure a perfect fit.

I can understand where you are coming from, just feels strange for a bucking to be longer than it should be. I have been able to shave it and it seems to work but I don't have the tools to be able to do it very clean.

just feels strange for a bucking to be longer than it should be

there really is no set size for lips, or pretty much anything.  I'm testing a couple of new gearbox shells right now and I'm swopping out parts like you wouldn't believe trying to get the best fit - it's just the nature of the beast and something you need to accept when tinkering.

Going to give one of the cheaper ZCI 60 degree buckings a go. Have ordered it via @ak2m4 

I am hoping with the combination of a zci barrel, zci hopup and a zci bucking that they would of made sure they all fit together perfectly.

Might not be as good of a performance as a ML yellow in terms of hop but I will mainly be using .25s and not going for "super" range.

I still have the shaved ML yellow which I will give it a shot this weekend and compare it to the zci. 

I found that with the maple leaf rubbers, they are a bit longer. 

As has been said, easy to trim.  I did Mine with a scalpel. 

I use the G&G Rotary hops units in my m4s with the G&G blue rubbers they come with, and can lift 0.32s easily. 

• Supporters
On 24/08/2021 at 14:13, JVacation said:

It would feed when using a mag however

Let me just stop you there.

No, that's it, I just wanted to stop you.

If only you'd stopped there too.

19 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Let me just stop you there.

No, that's it, I just wanted to stop you.

If only you'd stopped there too.

Sorry I forgot to add that it would jam at points. 

The force it needed to get by the bucking was quite a lot. 

• Supporters
10 hours ago, JVacation said:

Sorry I forgot to add that it would jam at points. 

The force it needed to get by the bucking was quite a lot. 

Drat, erratic problems are the most annoying.  Well, if it needs shaved, it needs shaved. I had similar when I put a Maple Leaf into an MP5K with a bit of a peculiar hop unit, I just nibbled a little bit off the bottom lip to sort it.

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

Drat, erratic problems are the most annoying.  Well, if it needs shaved, it needs shaved. I had similar when I put a Maple Leaf into an MP5K with a bit of a peculiar hop unit, I just nibbled a little bit off the bottom lip to sort it.

Nibbled a bit off with your teeth? 😉 I tried the two other rubbers today. Seem to be okay but there was a drop in the fps. Swapped back to the shaved maple leaf and it jumped up again to 342 on 0.20.

Also very consistent around that number.

Playing tomorrow so will see how the maple leaf performs in a full game and will address from there!

I've noticed that my super macaron 70 deg isn't symmetrical, the nub that pushed down on the BB has a small excess of rubber on the right side, will have to cut it out and make both sides even.

My friend doesn't have this issue, I guess the ML aren't 100% consistent when it comes to the out-of-the-package quality 

Got a question to you guys, has anyone tried the ArmaTech or SHS plastic rotary hopup unit? Are they anywhere close to the one made by ZCI?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.