Airsoft Sites!

Gigy Beast

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters
17 minutes ago, shadowfacex said:

Are there any methods you guys know that work in engaging the players more in gameplay while keeping cunts at bay?

That's easy, last one in makes sure they shut the gate properly after them 🤣

IMG_0062.PNG

1 hour ago, shadowfacex said:

The trouble is, most airsoft event organisers don’t take cues from game designers who spent thousands of hours perfecting game modes for causal players. Instead, they invent bullshit like “three-way warfare” where you have no idea wtf is going on until the day ends and someone somehow calculates points and declares a winning team.

Apart from that, causal players and kids want just to shoot someone with BBs, which is not uncommon, and quite expectable. So how the heck do you reconcile the two worlds?

I don’t think organisers aren’t capable of designing cool games, but most of the time they are way too detached or cocksure to admit they failed or could improve. Ego is the enemy.

There’s a challenge 

As a scenario paintball organiser airsofters used to tell me that they wanted to play the game formats, and they were “well into all the missions because airsoft is about realism”

So with a simple game format running I then got told “This is far too complicated, airsofters want to just have a simple shootout”

The truth is - people want to play games the way they like to play games 

Some want to pose, some want to tinker & chat in the safe zone, some want to shoot people, some want the adrenaline of possibly getting shot, some want to run around like demented idiots, some want to sneak around, some want to sit and take potshots, some want to find objects, some want a super special mission,  some want to watch and laugh at everyone else around them 

At a regular site the games played are a combination of what the regulars like to play every week/month

At an organised event it depends on the organiser and what they think people will come and pay to play

At an event organised by us it is a collection of ideas we have taken from others, missions/games that we want to play, ideas that we have had and fancy seeing how people will play them

Our most popular theme was based on the battle of Takhur Ghar / Roberts ridge, and then spun off to numerous sequels bringing in Columbian drug dealers & somali pirates 

Our most popular format was intended to be a one off mini game version of Battle Royale intended as a laugh and a method of bringing in a competition format to bring one person on stage and win a bag full of sponsors products

Skirmish days will tend towards just that, simple skirmish games. A lot of people go to skirmish days for that brainless video game-esque experience of "hold this area" or "capture that objective". Yes, I call it "brainless", but that's a good thing. Silly skirmish fun is a great time at the end of the day, especially if you have friends at the site and can laugh about the stupid stuff that happens. Sounds like the spawn ideas were awful though and I dislike both teams having the same spawn points. My local site has been trying this idea and a few of us are feeding back that it doesn't work well as it promotes two negative play types: first, it allows you to just walk in the open, get hit, then walk to a spawn point behind the enemy, removing any impact from the stealthy players who would normally spend huge portions of the game simply moving low and slow to avoid detection to get on the flank. Secondly, even if you tell people not to spawn camp, it happens. If you respawn, then 5 mins later a wave of enemies respawn from the same place, you're going to engage them.

I've seen my local site has started doing longer games once a month, tending a little more towards the filmsim side, and it has been well received, but I think doing it every week would dissuade a lot of people from attending the site regularly, as sometimes you just want to go to the woods and shoot each other with toy guns without thinking too hard. Variety is the spice of life, and if all I did was narrative filmsim every week, I think I'd get tired of it.

If you find skirmish tedious, maybe you should look at attending milsim events, or film/battlesim, or even period airsoft. They're a very different experience to skirmish days; it's not an experience that I'm that keen on (milsim, that is...), but it's another way to experience the airsoft hobby. I attended my first milsim a few months ago and I'm going to my first Vietnam game in a month or so. As I said earlier, variety is the spice of life.

Edited by Impulse

6 hours ago, Impulse said:

I'm going to my first Vietnam game in a month or so

Do let us know how it goes, i keep looking at this style/era of filmsim style games.

Ambush (botley) do a game once a month or so called Plunder which my brothers  seem to enjoy, a rolling multi objective with the odd npc and other props. I plan to hit one next chance i get to go down there. 

Then my first weekender is coming up soon as well. Which i am super excited about, larp, shooting, npcs, multi objectives. 

As mentioned veriaty is the spice....

9 hours ago, Impulse said:

I'm going to my first Vietnam game in a month or so. As I said earlier, variety is the spice of life.

I agree.  Which game are you going to?  If you are off to Luton give me a shout if you like.  Plenty of room round our campfire.  

32 minutes ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

I agree.  Which game are you going to?  If you are off to Luton give me a shout if you like.  Plenty of room round our campfire.  

That's the one. The Devil's Pit, Luton. I'll be VC with my "stolen" VSR (Remington 700) and 1911, going up with two guys I get a lift with to Worthing who do a lot of Vietnam stuff (they're both big into their Russian kit).

We will only be up for the Saturday though, as the Sunday is a Worthing game day and one of the guys in our trio is staff, so he has to be there.

Edited by Impulse

I'll be running an RPK and PAVN kit.   Sniping as VC is brilliant.  Harassing the US is great fun.  

I usually run as support in a two riflemen, one support and one sniper fire team.  All depends who shows up though.

Shame you can't stay for the evening.  The beer fuelled game post-mortem is a real laugh.   

2 minutes ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

I'll be running an RPK and PAVN kit.   Sniping as VC is brilliant.  Harassing the US is great fun.  

I usually run as support in a two riflemen, one support and one sniper fire team.  All depends who shows up though.

Shame you can't stay for the evening.  The beer fuelled game post-mortem is a real laugh.   

Yeah, we totally would have stayed if we didn't have to be at Worthing for the Sunday. It's a bit of a bummer, but it's how the skirmish days fall unfortunately. I'm looking forward to harassing the US as a VC sniper, as that's usually how I enjoy playing at skirmish days too. I think I'll always be an OpFor player at any of these sorts of events, as it just feels more fun to me. I'm on Cartel side for AI500 too :P 

On 23/08/2021 at 16:57, Cannonfodder said:

Sorry but without any context this just looks like a whinning tantrum about a site not being run how you want

I would say that also

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.