Marking kit

Auf

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Does anyone mark their kit to identifiy it easier? It would be really easy for someone to grab some of my gear in the safezone, with little to no proof that it's mine!  I imagine magazines are very easy thing to pinch.

I've thought about marking my magazines with sharpie, with my name and phone number.

Another idea i had was having a load of QR code stickers with a hyperlink to my profile on here?

Anyone had any ideas along these lines?

I engrave my postcode onto my pistol mags, mags are painted with my team callsign on them, can do little things like a bit of paper with your name on inside the stock etc, under mag baseplates

Baby blue  paintpen on mags and rifle,

BFGs are engraved. Plus I have enough pics and details of internal upgrades to back it up 😁

• Supporters

Metal gets engraved with some variation of my pseudonym and last three numbers plastics get sharpie’ed with the same plus all my mags are numbered so if I have feeding problems or anything else I can easily identify the mag later on , so I also have that as well .

Marking your kit will stop the ‘casual scumbag’ from stealing your shit but nothings going to stop the full blown cuntifer from stealing your hard earned when they set their eye on it .

I must say I've never had a prob leaving my gear in safe zone and even gear I've lost on game field comes back to me. 

I do mark my mags with yellow dyno tape with 'team diamond dogs' on the bottom though.

I like to think that we are all aware of what kit costs and how we would feel if it happened to us and that,I think,generates a hands off attitude?

I would rather give someone a spare mag than take theirs.👍

Regards 

• Supporters

No, all I've done is take pictures of the serial numbers on my belt-full of BFGs.  Even at that, I think it's vastly unlikely that I'd be lucky enough to catch a pikey who's pocketed one, given that sites seem to - at most - just shrug and say "Oh dear, we'll make an announcement at the next briefing".  I've yet to see or hear of one locking the place down and frisking folk, which is what it would take.  And from a liability and duty of care point of view, they're smarter to not get involved.

I guess this gets back to my Default Rant #3, that airsoft is a delicious punch bowl spoiled by a very few turds bobbing around in it.  If sites were a bit more proactive about punting wrong-uns right out of the hobby, it would be better for us and for them.

• Supporters

nope, any gear i have is either in the car or on my person.

sure if you drop mags left right and centre like your an extra in john wick and throw bfg's round every corner you're gonna lost/have pinched gear eventually.

recall once stumbling across a gbb vector mag in a building once, picked it up cos i figured it was the only way to be sure some thieving bugger didn't. you've never seen such a look of relief as its owner when he found me after the game.

Yeah. It doesn't smell great and nobody wants to stand too close to you. But it makes my stuff easy to identify and discourages anyone from wanting to steal anything.

12 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

given that sites seem to - at most - just shrug and say "Oh dear, we'll make an announcement at the next briefing".  I've yet to see or hear of one locking the place down and frisking folk, which is what it would take.  And from a liability and duty of care point of view, they're smarter to not get involved.

I've only seen it happen once, but that was over a wallet which had been nicked and there was at least a couple off duty police officers on site. 

I've numbered mags before, but this was incase one started playing up I coulld ID it easily

Edited by Cannonfodder
Typos

• Supporters
13 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

recall once stumbling across a gbb vector mag in a building once, picked it up cos i figured it was the only way to be sure some thieving bugger didn't.

That is a pickle, isn't it?

I've been to sites with a strict[*] "don't touch anything that doesn't belong to you" rule, but that's a great way of ensuring that the only people picking up an item will be its owner, a marshal, or a thief - and the last two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.

If there's a marshal in sight, I tend to wave them over, or pick it up and take it right to them, holding it out conspicuously.  If not, it's a bit of a bind: I know that I'm not going to nick it, but if it's sitting in a place where I could, then somebody less ethical could too.

Even moving something a little to a more or less conspicuous location can be a problem.  I was briefly convinced that I'd had a TRMR nicked at a "leave it where it is" site, when some helpful chap had just lifted it off the floor and put it up on a shelf, exactly where I wasn't looking for it. 🙄

[*] Strict in the sense that they say it, but then a lot of sites say a lot of stuff that they don't really mean.

i have sacrificed gear to the airsoft gear to the airsoft gods in field but never had anything nicked so never thought to mark my gear. I have thankfully only seen four of five incidents of theft on sites in 20ish years.

Again the same as many, not had anything go missing from my table of spot in safe zone, but then there will almost always be more expensive kit visible to the thieving scumbags.

I do mark, well tape, mags. I did have the thought to paint a section in the theme of 'Blockbuster' as they are hex mags but the first one looked shockingly bad i didnt continue. May have to get better before i try the next ones.....

Any kit that isnt being worn is often in the bag to keep my spot tidy

• Supporters
8 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

That is a pickle, isn't it?

yeah, it wasn't in a hard spot to find and if it'd been an m4 mag or something cheap/generic i wouldn't have bothered. only recognizing it for what it was figured picking up was the right move.

normally hand stuff in to the marshalls but game ended before i got the chance. most common is pistol mags/baseplates in woodland which i tend to pick up and hand in purely because most of the time it'd be a pain to find even with retracing your steps.

8 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

If not, it's a bit of a bind: I know that I'm not going to nick it, but if it's sitting in a place where I could, then somebody less ethical could too.

that was my logic, the only way i could guarantee with absolute certainty the person picking it up had good intentions was to pick it up myself.

i suppose i can't be sure the person i handed it to was necessarily the original owner, although he did have the appropriate pew and correct amount of "oh thank god" written on his face.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.