What is a good AEG to Convert to a DMR?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I want to get a DMR (450fps, locked to semi auto etc) and would like some recommendations on a good starting point. 

I would rather avoid any serious soldering and dremeling so if there was something that for instance had a mosfet that can be programmed for semi-only that was already installed (or wouldnt need serious adapting to fit a new one) that would be good. Im quite happy to add a new spring or bucking etc though. 

M4 platform would be ideal so I can swap mags but not essential. Budget would be to spend as little as possible while not ending up with something that feels crap!

Any ideas? 

58 minutes ago, 877 said:

I want to get a DMR (450fps, locked to semi auto etc) and would like some recommendations on a good starting point. 

I would rather avoid any serious soldering and dremeling so if there was something that for instance had a mosfet that can be programmed for semi-only that was already installed (or wouldnt need serious adapting to fit a new one) that would be good. Im quite happy to add a new spring or bucking etc though. 

M4 platform would be ideal so I can swap mags but not essential. Budget would be to spend as little as possible while not ending up with something that feels crap!

Any ideas? 

Most sites require physical disabling of full auto rather then a programmable mosfet for DMR's. 

I would recommend something with a greater cylinder volume then normal. Anything with a V2.5 gearbox or an SVD/SVU Style one. 

• Supporters
44 minutes ago, Dentonboy said:

I would look at the TM M14 range. Old skool, but ridiculous range as stock.

That would be my first choice too (the CYMA variants are very good too), plus the M14 just feels "right" in the dmr role, something about the traditional battle rifle shape makes every shot feel like your picking targets off, rather than jizzing all over them in a hail of plastic death lol 😜

• Supporters
1 hour ago, 877 said:

I would rather avoid any serious soldering and dremeling so if there was something that for instance had a mosfet that can be programmed for semi-only

Not needed, it's just a matter of filing a tiny piece out of the selector plate.

image.png

I recently went with a Specna Arms Edge because of the number of things that I didn't have to replace, but I wouldn't necessary recommend it as the Orion gearboxes (despite being factory radiused) are picking up quite the reputation for breaking.  Still, if you're prepared to gamble, there's a lot of features in there for the money.

I'd suggest taking a look at CYMAs, which have pretty tough internals, although the reason I avoided them is that they don't tend to come with both metal bodies and quick change springs until you get to the £200+ Platinum series.

The thing is, stock of everything is quite low so you're limited to what's available.

Thanks for the suggestions! 

I do have a Krytak CRB that I was looking at converting but it seems a bunch of the parts are proprietary so if they break under increased strain it will be difficult to fix. Might just be easier to start with something more upgradable even if it is painful to spend more money? 

Out of the guns that are instock... the CYMA CM.097B seems ok, could I just add in a bigger spring and modify the selector plate? 

(only thing that gives me hope for the Krytac is that the US versions ship with a 30k motor and a m120 spring where as the Uk version is downgraded -20k and M100.  Could I get a new motor and maybe an m140 spring and get away with it?)

• Supporters
12 minutes ago, 877 said:

the CYMA CM.097B seems ok, could I just add in a bigger spring and modify the selector plate?

Sure, that's all a DMR really needs.  Beyond that, it's what you want to do to it, e.g. gears, motor, hop unit (ZCI plastic rotary FTW), hop rubber and barrel.  Pre-cock and all that jazz would be nice, but at some point fiddling around with the gearbox and electrical parts of it is going to lead you to think "why not just HPA?"

If your budget is over £200, then how about the CYMA CM.098A?  I know you want to use your M4 mags, but again given current stocking you might find that it's actually easier to get AR-10 mags.  Worst case, high-caps do work just fine, and its not like you'd need to buy mid caps.

Budget aside, the TM HK 417 was born to be a DMR. Stick in a longer tight bore barrel, change the hop rubber and change the spring and spring guide and voila, 450 FPS. Of course the auto fire must be disabled but that easy to do. Either modify the selector plate as per @Rogerborg above or a Gate Titan. It goes without saying the stock TM gears will go at some point and maybe the bushes too. Essentially it becomes a money pit. But hey you can pop a zit on the nose of a speed softer at 80m. 

Edited by AlphaBear

• Supporters
14 hours ago, AlphaBear said:

Budget aside, the TM HK 417 was born to be a DMR [you just need to change out all the TM bits that make it the best gnu ever to make it the even bestest gnu ever]

And that's how you get a Careful Now rating. ;) 

TM m14 is a fantastic base for DMR-ing. To lock it to semi, you can do what I did when I accidentally broke mine. The fire selector mechanism can be snapped, then rotated out of place. Boom, locked to semi. If you later decide you want full auto, simply rotate the fire selector back into place (and secure with electrical tape if you want, though this isn't necessary).

The downside is that the gearbox is hell to work on, since you have to take literally everything apart since a bunch of mechanisms are located outside the gearbox shell, bolted onto the side. If you want something similar, go with a Cyma SVD or SR25 instead. Much easier to work with and still makes sense as a DMR.

However, I'd say "anything that has an HPA engine compatible with it" for DMRing. Because I'm a filthy HPA convert.

On 20/08/2021 at 08:15, Rogerborg said:

And that's how you get a Careful Now rating. ;) 

Like with many things in life sometimes one needs and additional shove to be better and stronger. The case in point is Steve Rodgers. Once he was given the super soldier serum he became Captain America! 

If there was any one TM that was designed in mind to have an upgrade path to Super Soldier stardom it’s the 417. It’s potential as a DMR is devastating.

• Supporters
7 hours ago, AlphaBear said:

If there was any one TM that was designed in mind to have an upgrade path to Super Soldier stardom it’s the 417. It’s potential as a DMR is devastating.

Shame the VFC G28 was so underwhelming.

6 hours ago, Lozart said:

Shame the VFC G28 was so underwhelming.

Oh gosh yeah I remember they did a  GBBR too. I never got to try the AEG version and I believe they still produce it? Circa £900 out of the box too. 

Edited by AlphaBear

• Supporters

I always wanted to do an amoeba dmr, reason being :- very snappy trigger, and able to program it to safe/semi/semi etc

i did start a vz58 project a while back … might have to revisit it

The cyma CM.098 is what I have.  Even out of the box standard it was pretty good, but it was not good enough so I did some work to it.  Now it is sweet and fires like a flipping laser! Cyma have really upped their game in the last couple of years. 

• 2 weeks later...

I like the 7.62 platform. Or the spr range of rifles like the mod0. 

Bit it's up to u as its Airsoft . I built a aps bullpup gun into one and its pretty dam good . Quiet for AEG as have the extra sound deadening of the gearbox on ur shoulder . Takes a 509 tbb with ease and no longer than a stock mp5. Gearbox is at back with quick change spring so two minutes to change . Also on escrew to take out ? Will get pic up later 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.