RIF Incident in News

Tactical Pith Helmet

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

right after plymouth......

goddamn if you wanted to burn airsoft to the ground that's one hell of a story to do it with.

congrats to the officers involved, hopefully that's one pub they'll never have to pay for a drink in.

Guest DrAlexanderTobacco

Shooting someone carrying a replica, imo, would end Airsoft. As we know it, anyway.

UK armed police are known for their restraint, and I'd like to keep it that way - although I appreciate there is an increased risk to Officers.

Edited by DrAlexanderTobacco

• Supporters
3 minutes ago, DrAlexanderTobacco said:

Shooting someone carrying a replica, imo, would end Airsoft. As we know it, anyway.

UK armed police are known for their restraint, and I'd like to keep it that way - although I appreciate the increased risk to Officers.

Yep it would go from small news story to major headline and do gooders marching with placards if there was a fatal incident, cops did good.

Guest DrAlexanderTobacco
3 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Yep it would go from small news story to major headline and do gooders marching with placards if there was a fatal incident, cops did good.

Shootings in the UK are examined incredibly closely, all the officer's actions examined etc. - iirc your brother's a copper so I know you know that but yeah, the question on everyone's minds would be "How can we stop this from happening again", and the answer would be IFs replacing RIFs.

Edited by DrAlexanderTobacco

What a flaming idiot, unfortunately as others have said it could easily end up giving Airsoft a bad name, doesn’t take much for people to try and sign petitions to ban things, who knows a few months down the line there might be a discussion in parliament about banning RIFs and RIF sales 😕

• Supporters
22 hours ago, DrAlexanderTobacco said:

Not necessarily, while I agree that any bad publicity, especially stuff as extreme as this is always another potential nail in the proverbial coffin for us, there have already been a number of fatal shootings involving replica firearms, so far the focus in the inquests etc have been focused on the mindset of the dead person, & the conclusion that it's usually a "suicide by cop" scenario & an almost inevitable outcome.

But I agree that eventually someone's gonna try to outlaw everything gun like, whatever classification or hobby it relates to ☹️

3 minutes ago, Tackle said:

Not necessarily, while I agree that any bad publicity, especially stuff as extreme as this is always another potential nail in the proverbial coffin for us, there have already been a number of fatal shootings involving replica firearms, so far the focus in the inquests etc have been focused on the mindset of the dead person, & the conclusion that it's usually a "suicide by cop" scenario & an almost inevitable outcome.

But I agree that eventually someone's gonna try to outlaw everything gun like, whatever classification or hobby it relates to ☹️

Except speed guns! Lol 

• Supporters
12 hours ago, Shamal said:

Except speed guns! Lol 

And technically things like Pulse Rifles and the APS UAR.  Heck, even the AAP-01 isn't a realistic imitation of a real modern firearm, and yes, that's the criteria under the VRCA, and yes, I know the Firearms Act is different.

The big risk is that airsoft is only a defence due to the anonymous Home Office explanatory circular accompanying the 2007 amendment, it's not actually in the legislation, and it could be removed on a whim without even Ministerial involvement, warning, or consultation.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.