PMR frequency questions

EDcase

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hiall,

Just got a couple of 888s and cable to reprogram.

(I know they're a bit over powered but I'll be using the stubby antenna which will reduce the output and the site I play at has a commercial license anyway)

I'm a bit confused (Yes, easily done) about the correct PMR frequencies to use.

I found this: https://icomuk.co.uk/Changes-to-digital-PMR446-Frequency-Bands-in-2018/3996/135/

Do I use the Digital or Analogue spacing?

Second question is about the squelch settings.

Is there a standard for QT/DQT Decode/Encode settings for each channel?

Cheers for any info

(Just tested and they do have Beat Shift 😁)

Edited by EDcase

3 hours ago, EDcase said:

Hiall,

Just got a couple of 888s and cable to reprogram.

(I know they're a bit over powered but I'll be using the stubby antenna which will reduce the output and the site I play at has a commercial license anyway)

I'm a bit confused (Yes, easily done) about the correct PMR frequencies to use.

I found this: https://icomuk.co.uk/Changes-to-digital-PMR446-Frequency-Bands-in-2018/3996/135/

Do I use the Digital or Analogue spacing?

Second question is about the squelch settings.

Is there a standard for QT/DQT Decode/Encode settings for each channel?

Cheers for any info

(Just tested and they do have Beat Shift 😁)

Most likely the digital frequencies.

You will need to programme them to the frequencies you intend to use.

Note that you can’t legitimise the 888s by using a lesser aerial or due to the site having a licence.

They are capable of going outside of PMR frequencies and power levels so are not PMR legal, and you only fall within the sites licence if you have permission and programme to their frequencies

However the odds of getting caught are virtually nil

5 hours ago, EDcase said:

That's like saying you have a driving license so it's fine to go everywhere at 100.

Try this for the frequencies though. Gives the PMR you shoudl be using and the CTCS subs as well (don't use them as they're pointless)

https://www.v-strom.co.uk/downloads/PMR.pdf

Steve, how come not a fan of CTSS? It would drive me mad if I could hear everyone else talking on the channel I was using. I do use DTS mind for a larger range of squelch tones to reduce the chance even further of hearing unwanted coms. Dose it not bother you or do you use some other type of filtering? 

Thanks guys.

I know I can't legally use em but my thinking is that by reducing the output with a crappy antenna there's less chance of drawing attention to their use.

Well, the V-Strom Freq are the same as the Analogue 12.5kHz channel spacing so I guess I'll stick to those 😉

I can understand why you might want some channels open so you can communicate with others on side while also being able to keep to only squad level on others.

Would have to be organised beforehand of course.

I don't expect to rely on radios at all but I couldn't resist £17 for both 😏

• Supporters
On 14/08/2021 at 22:39, EDcase said:

there's less chance of drawing attention to their use

If you're using them on PMR channels then there is essentially zero chance of anyone who matters being bothered by it.

On 14/08/2021 at 20:48, Steveocee said:

That's like saying you have a driving license so it's fine to go everywhere at 100

Stick to PMR channels and it's like doing 100 on a racetrack.

The problem is if you go off of those, then you might find yourself doing 100 past a school for blind orphans.

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting topic. Any in the know of a good UK site that can explain all this PMR information, as I am looking at buying a better radio for airsoft. I have looked around online for something that explains it all in a simple way. 

• Supporters
37 minutes ago, Sneaky said:

Interesting topic. Any in the know of a good UK site that can explain all this PMR information, as I am looking at buying a better radio for airsoft. I have looked around online for something that explains it all in a simple way. 

Hmm, no, not really.  This covers the basics: https://www.radiotrader.co.uk/news/facts-about-licence-free-radios.htm

The tl;dr version is that you need to decide whether to go analogue PMR (cheap) or digital (still expensive with no real benefit that I can see for airsoft use) as they aren't compatible.

Older analogue sets will only use 8 channels. Newer ones will be able to use 16, and will talk to older sets on the first 8.

Then you can do whatever you like without any worries.  Just flip through whatever channels are available until you find a quiet one, get your team on the same channel, and you're done.  You don't need to bother with CTCSS / DCS unless you're at a busy site where all channels are in use.

If you buy anything else, you should buy a loicence for it.

However, if you're using it at a fairly remote airsoft site, between 446.0 and 446.2 Mhz, then the only people you're likely to interact or interfere with are other airsoft players.

1 minute ago, Rogerborg said:

Hmm, no, not really.  This covers the basics: https://www.radiotrader.co.uk/news/facts-about-licence-free-radios.htm

The tl;dr version is that you need to decide whether to go analogue PMR (cheap) or digital (still expensive with no real benefit that I can see for airsoft use) as they aren't compatible.

Older analogue sets will only use 8 channels. Newer ones will be able to use 16, and will talk to older sets on the first 8.

Then you can do whatever you like without any worries.  Just flip through whatever channels are available until you find a quiet one, get your team on the same channel, and you're done.  You don't need to bother with CTCSS / DCS unless you're at a busy site where all channels are in use.

If you buy anything else, you should buy a loicence for it.

However, if you're using it at a fairly remote airsoft site, between 446.0 and 446.2 Mhz, then the only people you're likely to interact or interfere with are other airsoft players.

Brilliant, thanks for the information. 👍

As stated, I got the cheapest Baofeng 888s set and a programming cable.  (Worth having because you can set many options)

Any radio you buy will be set to random frequencies and should be programmed to the frequencies HERE (Same as the ones Rogerborg posted. I used the analogue frequencies)

I had a chance to test mine out with my son at our last game and they worked great.

As long as you don't hear other people who sound like ambulance, police, taxi or other official services, you should be fine to use it.

• Supporters
46 minutes ago, EDcase said:

and a programming cable

I'm a fresh convert. I mean, literally now, I've been sitting on a Baofeng programming cable for ages, but have just plugged it into my UV-5R, downloaded CHIRP, watched a how-to, and wow, that's much easier than button mashing.

File -> Open stock config -> EU LPD and PMR channels, scroll down, copy the PMR channels, paste them into the start of the memory slots, and Radio -> Upload to Radio.  Mine now welcomes me with a cheery "AHOY!" message as well. ;)  The volume wants to be turned right up for programming, is the only gotchya.

1 hour ago, EDcase said:

As long as you don't hear other people who sound like ambulance, police, taxi or other official services, you should be fine to use it.

I'm pretty sure most of the emergency services are encrypted now. IIRC if you were to stumble on their frequencies all you would hear is static and wouldn't have the ability to broadcast to them. 

1 hour ago, Cheeky vimto said:

I'm pretty sure most of the emergency services are encrypted now. IIRC if you were to stumble on their frequencies all you would hear is static and wouldn't have the ability to broadcast to them. 

That's good to hear but I'd rather be safe by using the correct PMR frequencies just in case.

2 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

I'm a fresh convert. I mean, literally now, I've been sitting on a Baofeng programming cable for ages, but have just plugged it into my UV-5R, downloaded CHIRP, watched a how-to, and wow, that's much easier than button mashing.

File -> Open stock config -> EU LPD and PMR channels, scroll down, copy the PMR channels, paste them into the start of the memory slots, and Radio -> Upload to Radio.  Mine now welcomes me with a cheery "AHOY!" message as well. ;)  The volume wants to be turned right up for programming, is the only gotchya.

I used Baofengs own software and seems fine as well 👍

Download if anyone needs it.

(Install the Windows USB driver first)

Edited by EDcase

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.