Chest Rig Recommendations

baku911

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

On 16/08/2021 at 12:32, Steveocee said:

I run a 1 Tigris Placard system, very small chest rig, 3 m4 mags on my chest, a viper dangler on the bottom of it holding another and then 1 in the gun. I run that when running my normal battle rifle setup, same again but with a belt and pistol if I'm on the DMR and the same chest rig again if using my hpa pistol.

Really nice build quality and not overly priced.

Have you got a link to the 1 tigris?

This thread gave me the kick I needed to get an SADF M83 chest rig. Probably one of the best purchases I have made!

Can take M4 or AK74 mags easily, side pockets fit my timed and impact BFGs and the skinny pen pocket takes the reloading tool. Throw a tin of primers in the tiny pocket and I am set!

Even with 6 (!) TM M4 gas mags and 2 BFGs it is comfortable with no hot-spots on the straps. My Viper Spiritus clone is ok with 3 mags in but add any more and after a while it starts to kill my shoulders. I will be keeping that for CQB and short games; for woodland / OPFOR / and long games the M83 will be the go-to 👍

I will be adding some Velcro OneWrap to the strap ends to tidy them up and might add an elastic section to the waist strap (along with cordura “concertina” cover) to allow for pie intake 😂🍔

3FA9442D-B665-4AEE-BB29-C73142AAA39D.jpeg

The only thing I found with these rigs is that the M4 magazines tend to sit quite low down in the pouch, which can make getting them out in a hurry difficult unless you’ve got ranger loops or Magpul’s on them. 

• Supporters

That will tend to happen in anything that can take both AK and AR/556 mags since AK mags are so much bigger.  Having your mags sit nice and deep with lots of protection and retention is good in a military context, but if you have something loop-lined (spiritus/haley) you can use inserts that have a bottom like the MP2s or ESSTAC KYWIs and set your own depth.  Or, in both an older chest rig or modern micro rigs when using the elastic inserts with no base just put some foam in the bottom of the rig.

Yeah I know about the magazine size difference, in the past I’ve stuffed bits of cardboard into the bottom of the pouches to make M4 ones sit higher. 

Good shout on the better retention though. 

I am using Magpulls on my M4 mags but also plan to try stuffing a chunk of pipe lagging in the bottom to raise them up a bit (also allows me to place empty mags “feed lips up” so I don’t grab them by mistake!)

I run a Tactical Tailor Mini Mav that I've had for a while. I think they've changed shape and buckle types over time though - the new version is a bit squarer. It will take a triple M4 pouch an 2 pistol mags, to give an idea of size.

Works well for me in conjunction with a belt rig. I have a couple of HSGI tacos on the belt rig and then feed them from extra mags in the chest rig. The advantage to this of course is that you can use different chest rigs for different loadouts and the tacos will work with any of them. I've set up the harness on the belt rig with buckles so you can just swap them out (kind of like Mayflower did on their PC's).

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.